Howard Johnson Express Inn & Suites South Tampa Airport
Ranked #78 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 25 July 2014

i stayed at this hotel for 1 week and after 3 days my coffee pot was not cleaned and my sheets were not changed. i spoke with the staff and Candice did a fantastic job of getting housekeeping to resolve the situation. had no other issues after that. great job Candice

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Tw M

Reviewed 23 July 2014

The hotel has been recently renovated, and it even has soft water! The gentleman who checked me in was courteous, friendly, efficient, and helpful. I was frankly expecting much less, having dealt with OTHER HoJos, where staff was uncooperative or downright surly. Not here.
The lady who checked me out the next morning was of the same caliber, making my stay here pleasant, and worth a repeat when in town next time. Excellent value for $$, and close to everything.Breakfast was of a good selection, and room was clean.WiFi actually worked.

Room Tip: I stayed in 205 - quiet and close to office, on 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Dan C
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed in this Howard Johnson for a 4 day trip to Tampa. We payed 45$ a night with a small continental breakfast. Right on Dale Mabry the real center of Tampa. Take a renovated room!! There are lots of shops and restaurants around. The nearby stripclubs don't disturb. It is around 10-12 minutes to the airport. The Westshore Mall is around 5 minutes away.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Vtm R
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed here for MetroCon 2014 with some friends.

The rate was fair, the beds were clean and comfy. AC was great, and the pool was small but heavenly after a long day at the convention center. Front desk wasn't the friendliest, but who could blame them with a bunch of costumed weirdos running around. Free WiFi worked, though spotty.

Good proximity to convention center and surrounding areas. Nothing we needed was further than 10 minutes out. Maybe 15 minutes to the convention center with traffic, if you avoided the highway.

Heads up; The TV is a tube TV! Tech savvy travelers wont be able to hook up their laptops or externals without the red-white-yellow AV cables of old ;)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Joel H
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The Howard Johnson was very clean room..the staff is very good on giving out info for the visitors..the outside pool was very nice..I had a nice visit to Tampa & when I am in town I will be using this hotel again

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank tborowski1
HappyHojo_STampa, Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn & Suites South Tampa Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear tborowski1,
Thank you for staying with us, it was a pleasure to have you be our guest at Howard Johnson South Tampa. Our staff appreciates your kind words and thanks you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We look forward to your next visit to the Tampa area.

Howard Johnson Express Inn & Suites

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Their driveway is tucked between businesses and is a bit tricky to get in. Not difficult but you do have to watch for it. We missed it and had to go around the block but don't let that deter you.
My family and I arrived on the 4th of July mid afternoon. We were fortunate as our room was ready earlier than 3pm. There were a couple of other people waiting for "single rooms". When I walked in there was no one at the front desk. After waiting just a few minutes, Dwayne walked back in from the outside. He was handling a problem. He apologized and proceeded to book us in. I watched as he was able to acknowledge everyone around him and yet made each feel like they were the only ones in the room. About a 1/2 hour later I noticed my sunglasses were not to be found and walked over to the registration office. Dwayne was on the phone trying assist someone but looked at me inquisitively. I laugh at it now as we must have made a "mime" cringe with our antics. I motioned my sunglasses and he shrugged as they were not to be found (later found them in our room). I then mouthed the need for add'l towels. He nodded and formed the universal "ok" with his hand. Not 10 minutes later there was a knock on our door and Dwayne came with more than enough towels and said he apologizes for us having to wait for them but that housekeeping was busy. Talk about service!!!!
The room was a typical motel room but very clean and neat. My grandson forgot his toothbrush and with Howard Johnson flair, there was one for him at the front desk.
I did not go to the Breakfast area but my family stated that at first when they got there it wasn't much to choose from but just about a 1/2 hour later someone came in with hard boiled eggs and the mix for waffles. The rest was the standard fair of donuts, bagels etc...l
Just as a side note for the ladies.....Shopping is near by.

Room Tip: The rooms face the pool but are soundproof.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank girlfriends2
HappyHojo_STampa, Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn & Suites South Tampa Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear valued guest,
It is a pleasure to have a Top Contributor of TripAdvisor take the time out to share your experience with us about your stay. Our staff and I thank you for your kind words about the staff and property. Your concerns about breakfast have been noted, and will be applied to better improve our breakfast.
We invite you to stay with us again during your next visit to Tampa.

Best regards,
Howard Johnson Express Inn &Suites

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed here for three nights. The place was very clean, pretty landscaping, lot of greenery, not just the parking lot to look at. The bed was very comfortable, the pool was maintained, and the front desk staff and manager were very helpful. Good selection and fresh food at the continental breakfast. Reasonable food choices within walking distance. $10 cab ride to downtown. No airport shuttle.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Baia L
HappyHojo_STampa, Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn & Suites South Tampa Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear valued guest,
Thank you for staying with us at Howard Johnson South Tampa. Your time and feedback on your recent stay with us is greatly appreciated. Guest satisfaction is our top priority, and are happy to know you had a great experience while staying at our location.
We welcome you to be our guest every time you visit the Tampa Bay area.

Best Regards,