“Excellent!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Excellent!!”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

A very good hotel in almost everything. Roof top restaurant with a incredible Sunset view. Staff was very helpful. Great food. Very morden. Great room size.
Only thing to mention is that the hotel hasn't got a good Mattress, it bounces a lot and becomes a bit uncomfortable throughout the night.
Also, the hotel location is a bit out of the city and there isn't any public transport near by, therefore it'll require a car to travel back to the International Mall or any part of the city.

1 Thank JonnyMac_London
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay and all the amenities the hotel has to offer. I'm delighted to hear about the service you received from our stay. They are instrumental in the success of our hotel. I'm disappointed to hear about the condition of the mattress in your room. I will certainly forward all your feed back to our management team.

We would love to welcome you back and hope to see you soon. Thanks for choosing Hyatt.

Becky S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
chicago
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Just stumbled upon the notes I made after a five day stay at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay at the beginning of October. Reluctant to write a negative review I decided to wait for 60 days to make sure that my assessment of the property was fair.... and I think it is, So here goes: I originally booked a cabana suite only to receive an email on the eve of my departure informing me that the pool near the cabanas would be closed the second night of my stay for a corporate event. Given that I was travelling to Tampa to host an overnight for my nine year old great niece and her friend I rebooked into a tower suite. I arrived to find it large, but shabbily furnished with low end amenities and slipshod service. The flowers that I had ordered were not in the suite (I had to call down to the desk to have them sent up even though I arrived at 9:00 pm.). The 'amenities' I prebooked online and reconfirmed, arrived on the wrong nights, i.e, the milk and cookies for my niece were delivered upon my arrival. I can only assume that they were planning on sending her wine the following night. When I pointed this out they quickly sent up wine and cheese, but I specifically ordered white and they sent red.The list goes on: It was great that there was a Keurig in the suite along with 12 different coffee and tea pods, but only two coffee cups - both paper. There was no breakfast service because of the corporate event and the waitress at lunch had long hair which kept on hanging onto our plates as she brought our meals. The outdoor pool was also extremely small for a hotel that size and the bartender at the outdoor bar was completely overwhelmed. Oh, and my Kindle was stolen during my stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank sayersfan
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Greetings sayersfan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback from your most recent stay at the Grand Hyatt Tampa. It is very disheartening to hear about the many inconvenience and challenges you encountered during this stay and please know that we have involved our executive management and they will follow up directly with hotel management to make sure you or any future guest has the same challenges. I hope you were able to speak with our Guest Relations department after your stay in regards to this matter. If not, please give them a call, we would like to speak with you about this experience or you can email us at social.media@hyatt.com.

Warm regards,

Drew D. - Guest Relations Associate
Scotland
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Recently booked 7 nights at the Hyatt as a last minute escape from the Scottish weather and a wedding anniversary treat. On the strength of the reviews we had high hopes. I did email in advance to request a bay view room and mentioned our anniversary. Arrived about 8.30 pm after 2 flights with a 3 hr delay. No door or valet staff in sight. Luckily we can park our own car, can open doors and our case had wheels! Selina on reception was superb, very professional and easy to deal with.
Our room, on the 5th floor, had a bay view and was spacious and well designed if a little bland. The small fridge is a nice touch and the quality of the beds and bed linens was superb. The bathroom was stylish and functional though on more than one occasion I had to ask for someone from engineering to visit and unblock the sink as it was either slow to drain or did not drain at all. This was dealt with efficiently and promptly.
On the first night we went to the bar for a much needed drink but found the staff slightly unwelcoming and uninterested. There was a football game on the TV (two local teams) and this seemed to be more important. The refurbished bar area is very nice and had the service been more attentive we would happily have used the bar regularly despite the overpriced drinks.
Housekeeping was good but we forgot to remove the ‘privacy please’ sign from our door so on two days the room was not serviced. They did leave a message that we could call but by the time we got back it seemed too late to bother. Towels and bed linen was changed regularly but not always replaced. We had to ask for a bath mat and wash cloth on occasion.
Did try the Oystercatchers restaurant twice, once our first night but it was closing and on Sunday lunchtime they were only serving brunch so cannot comment on the food.
The hotel is situated minutes from the airport and surrounded by the interstate and other major roads. Despite this the road noise is not intrusive and we did not hear the airport noise at all. Be aware that there is nothing but an office building and roads in the vicinity of the hotel so you can’t go out for a meal etc without a car or by using the limited hotel bus.
We enjoyed the boardwalk covered in crabs and lizards and it was nice to enjoy nature so close to the city centre. The hotel pool was beautifully warm, the hot tub was hot! Did find it a little strange that there was nowhere to change in the pool area as you had to walk through the bar and reception area to get back to your room. (Found a toilet just round the corner from the pool so used that) There was still remodelling work being carried out to the public areas but this caused no problems or disruption.
There were several business events taking place in the hotel during our stay, at least two weddings and various football teams staying overnight before a game. We did feel that these took over the hotel staff and public rooms leaving other guests marginalised.
Pros: Ample free parking on site, close to the airport ( the hotel runs a bus) spacious, clean rooms, small fridge in each room, great beds and linens, fantastic helpful reception staff, screen to check on flights and computer to print boarding cards for departure, board walk, warm pool, never had to wait for a lift.
Cons: Breakfasts and drinks expensive, had to pay extra for internet in room, no towelling robes, had to have a car to get to shops/supermarket/restaurants, rooms nice but a little ‘bland’ in décor.
A slightly disappointing stay compared with our experience at other US hotels. Perhaps this is because it felt like a business/ wedding venue hotel rather than a luxury vacation hotel. If you go aware of these facts however you will have an excellent stay.

Room Tip: As for a bay view
3 Thank Loanhead
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Hello Loanhead,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such great feedback regarding your stay in Tampa. I am sorry to hear of your concerns regarding the valet staff, the rooms, pool area and costs as well as the hotel having a lot of functions. I will be sure to share your concerns with hotel management. However, I am happy to see that despite these concerns, you did enjoy the stay and I truly hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Regards,

Belinda M - Guest Relations Associate
Columbus, Nebraska
Reviewed 26 November 2013

After reading the reviews posted here on trip advisor, I booked this hotel with I guess, high expectations! It was nothing spectacular! First the Likes: Great location, easy to get around from here. Really liked the breakfast menu/buffet and right away our first morning we had a wonderful waiter "Lincoln". He treated us like royalty and we made sure we asked for him EVERY morning after that. Both pools were great but we especially enjoyed the white beach pool area over by the restaurant oyster catchers. Fitness center was very good including a sauna. Some staff was very kind and knowledgable about Tampa, others seemed to be put out because you asked them a question they didn't know the answer to and just gave a quick response of some sort. I guess I was expecting more of the "we"ll go out of our way to help you" experience. The DisLikes: I booked thru booking.com way in advance and asked to have a bay view room. I received an email from booking.com that my request was submitted but would need to contact the hotel directly to confirm. This was important to us in deciding what hotel we were going to stay at. i called the hotel about 3days prior to our arrival to confirm this but was told they would only know whats available at the time I checked in! ? We were arriving around 6 so i thought we probanbly wouldnt get a view but we did. No bathroom fan(which i noticed a few mold spots starting on the ceiling in the shower area) The only plug in by a mirror was in the bathroom, so it made it difficult for more than 1 person to get ready at a time. The only way to get to the pools is to go thru the lobby and/or restaurant area which made us a little uncomfortable as there were always a lot of people in these areas and we just wanted to go to the pools at our leisure with swimsuits and cover ups. And again, I guess I expected the concierge to know all about everything Tampa, but it was a hit and miss when we had a question with who we got at the time to help us. And the lastly I had requested a late checkout( which I was told I could only do at the time we checked in due to availability, so I asked for a 2 o'clock as we were not flying out until 5 and was told that they "probably" could do a 130, so I thought, ok that would work. We were gone most of that morning and when we returned about 115, our key cards would not work, we were kinda panicked as we were just going to load and go. We called down to the front desk and the gal made it sound like it was our fault we are locked out as it was now 125 and our check out was 130. Once again I guess I expected a little more customer service...so they had to call maintenance to come and let us in...we were not very happy and they really didn't seem to care we were not happy..... We will not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank bcport
Georgia, USA
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My sister and I stayed here after a 30 day vacation in Europe. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. The view on the bay side was beautiful from our 6th floor room. The room was large and room service was excellent. We ate at the Oystercatcher Restaurant which is on the same property as the hotel and it was fabulous again with a beautiful view. I would recommend this hotel and the restaurant if you want a nice place to stay with good food.

Room Tip: I think any room is good here...on one side you have the bay and the other side you can watch the ai...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay is by far, the best hotel we have stayed at. The hotel is immaculate, staff is friendly and helpful and the views are breathtaking. The hotel has recently been renovated and the rooms are beautifully decorated and maintained.
We were given an upgrade when I mentioned it was our anniversary and we felt so special. The location is convenient for many Tampa hot spots. They also offer a complimentary shuttle if you do not have a car. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling on business or pleasure. I do not feel you will find a better hotel in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a bayview room.
2 Thank Mary M
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I haven't been here in a few years, only because i moved pretty far away. But, i enjoyed my experiences here. My first experience was in 2008 on my honeymoon. We stayed here for our first 2 nights, before leaving for a cruise. We were treated so nicely. Everyone was so professional and helpful. They seemed to be just as excited as we were about our wedding and adventures. The room was nice and comfortable and clean. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple