“Wonderful stay!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Florida
“Wonderful stay!!”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Great room with a marvelous view of the bay. Saw wonderful sunsets and the view at night was also stunning. However, the one thing that impressed me the most about the Tampa Bay Hyatt was the staff. The hotel staff was remarkable -- every single person was helpful, courteous and gracious, going out of their way to provide service. I only stayed one weekend, but several of them remembered my name and would greet me every time I saw them. I just can't say enough about the graciousness and courtesy of the staff. The location is good, and the hotel provides shuttle service to the nearby malls and airport.

My only tiny criticism would be that the hotel might want to try to be a little more child-friendly as far as the rooms are concerned. We had to turn the trashcan in the bathroom over to provide a stepstool so that my five-year-old could reach the sink to brush her teeth. Something may have been available for this purpose had we asked, but we just improvised. Also a separate spray attachment in the shower (no tub) would have been helpful for a child. But all in all, a great place to stay, reasonable rates and unbelievable service. I'll be back!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. I'm so happy that you enjoyed the beautiful views our hotel offers. I'm so delighted to hear about the great service you received from our wonderful staff. I will certainly forward your feedback and suggestions to our management team.

We would love to welcome you back and hope to see you soon. Thanks for choosing Hyatt.

Becky S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 2 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I really enjoyed my stay at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay! Our room was great and the room service was delicious! (expensive but worth it)... I was there for a large event, which was nice. The downstairs bar was fun to hang out at, too.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you so much for providing us with feedback regarding your recent stay a the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. I'm so happy you had a wonderful time and enjoyed the room accommodations. I'm happy you were able to take advantage of our great meal options. I will certainly forward your feedback to our management team.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Overall, this is a very good hotel considering its a US chain, but it does not compare well to Grand Hyatt hotels internationally. First, lets cover the good things. It is well located, near the Tampa International airport and major highways. It sits on a largely undeveloped stretch of green-space along the bay, so you can get some beautiful, unobstructed views of the sunset over the bay. I highly recommend a Bay View room. The parking garage is free (yes, you read correctly -- free), or you have a valet option for a reasonable price. Valets were very courteous, helpful and fast. Garage is serviced by an elevator which is close to the hotel entrance, so its easy to move luggage. The reception and check-in process was warm, helpful and fast. The ladies behind the counter were very pleasant, and the concierge was a gem -- she went out of her way to find us quality dining options on a busy night. The lobby bar is bright, spacious with comfortable seating options. The bar menu was fulsome, service excellent and again, fast. The bar stays open to midnight, which is always good. There is a small convenience store offsetting the reception desk.

We ate breakfast in the top-floor restaurant (Armani's Italian by evening). Superb views in all directions. Again, service was generally good, with mindful wait staff. The breakfast selection unfortunately was lacking, and not up to Grand Hyatt standards. The egg-station was staffed by one person, who was completely overwhelmed and got half the orders wrong. The buffet selection was very limited and disappointing. Definitely room for improvement here. For dinner, we ate out, so I cant comment.

Gym facilities were good, with new(ish) machines and sufficient space not to feel crowded. The pool was on the small-side considering the size of the hotel, and unfortunately during our stay the weather was too cold to sit outside by the pool.

Our room was large and had a great bay view, was modern and had good quality fixtures and furniture. A bit drab on the color palate. Shower was great, with lots of pressure and the sink counter had ample room for knick-knacks. Our only complaint (again in comparison to Hyatt properties internationally) was the near total lack of amenities outside of 2 small bars of soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. In the US, we seem to take it for granted that Hyatts abroad often provide a lot more kit, including free bottled waters (vs. $2.50/small bottle here). The room had a safe neatly stored in the bedside table, but the bar fridge was empty... again cheapening the Grand Hyatt experience. The worst part, was that our room had two double beds vs. two queen beds. This is simply not enough room for two adults to have a comfortable sleep.. our 9 year-old had a bed alone and was very happy however. The kid pointed out that the TV quality was actually very poor, with lots of image blurring. Room cleaning service was good, with clean fresh sheets and towels as expected.

Overall, the Tampa Grand Hyatt is a quality property, distinguished by excellent service and a convenient location. They just need to improve some of the smaller details to bring it up to 5-star standards.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bmarkhasin
London
Reviewed 1 December 2013

A very good hotel in almost everything. Roof top restaurant with a incredible Sunset view. Staff was very helpful. Great food. Very morden. Great room size.
Only thing to mention is that the hotel hasn't got a good Mattress, it bounces a lot and becomes a bit uncomfortable throughout the night.
Also, the hotel location is a bit out of the city and there isn't any public transport near by, therefore it'll require a car to travel back to the International Mall or any part of the city.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JonnyMac_London
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay and all the amenities the hotel has to offer. I'm delighted to hear about the service you received from our stay. They are instrumental in the success of our hotel. I'm disappointed to hear about the condition of the mattress in your room. I will certainly forward all your feed back to our management team.

chicago
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Just stumbled upon the notes I made after a five day stay at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay at the beginning of October. Reluctant to write a negative review I decided to wait for 60 days to make sure that my assessment of the property was fair.... and I think it is, So here goes: I originally booked a cabana suite only to receive an email on the eve of my departure informing me that the pool near the cabanas would be closed the second night of my stay for a corporate event. Given that I was travelling to Tampa to host an overnight for my nine year old great niece and her friend I rebooked into a tower suite. I arrived to find it large, but shabbily furnished with low end amenities and slipshod service. The flowers that I had ordered were not in the suite (I had to call down to the desk to have them sent up even though I arrived at 9:00 pm.). The 'amenities' I prebooked online and reconfirmed, arrived on the wrong nights, i.e, the milk and cookies for my niece were delivered upon my arrival. I can only assume that they were planning on sending her wine the following night. When I pointed this out they quickly sent up wine and cheese, but I specifically ordered white and they sent red.The list goes on: It was great that there was a Keurig in the suite along with 12 different coffee and tea pods, but only two coffee cups - both paper. There was no breakfast service because of the corporate event and the waitress at lunch had long hair which kept on hanging onto our plates as she brought our meals. The outdoor pool was also extremely small for a hotel that size and the bartender at the outdoor bar was completely overwhelmed. Oh, and my Kindle was stolen during my stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank sayersfan
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Greetings sayersfan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback from your most recent stay at the Grand Hyatt Tampa. It is very disheartening to hear about the many inconvenience and challenges you encountered during this stay and please know that we have involved our executive management and they will follow up directly with hotel management to make sure you or any future guest has the same challenges. I hope you were able to speak with our Guest Relations department after your stay in regards to this matter. If not, please give them a call, we would like to speak with you about this experience or you can email us at social.media@hyatt.com.

Warm regards,

Drew D. - Guest Relations Associate
Scotland
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Recently booked 7 nights at the Hyatt as a last minute escape from the Scottish weather and a wedding anniversary treat. On the strength of the reviews we had high hopes. I did email in advance to request a bay view room and mentioned our anniversary. Arrived about 8.30 pm after 2 flights with a 3 hr delay. No door or valet staff in sight. Luckily we can park our own car, can open doors and our case had wheels! Selina on reception was superb, very professional and easy to deal with.
Our room, on the 5th floor, had a bay view and was spacious and well designed if a little bland. The small fridge is a nice touch and the quality of the beds and bed linens was superb. The bathroom was stylish and functional though on more than one occasion I had to ask for someone from engineering to visit and unblock the sink as it was either slow to drain or did not drain at all. This was dealt with efficiently and promptly.
On the first night we went to the bar for a much needed drink but found the staff slightly unwelcoming and uninterested. There was a football game on the TV (two local teams) and this seemed to be more important. The refurbished bar area is very nice and had the service been more attentive we would happily have used the bar regularly despite the overpriced drinks.
Housekeeping was good but we forgot to remove the ‘privacy please’ sign from our door so on two days the room was not serviced. They did leave a message that we could call but by the time we got back it seemed too late to bother. Towels and bed linen was changed regularly but not always replaced. We had to ask for a bath mat and wash cloth on occasion.
Did try the Oystercatchers restaurant twice, once our first night but it was closing and on Sunday lunchtime they were only serving brunch so cannot comment on the food.
The hotel is situated minutes from the airport and surrounded by the interstate and other major roads. Despite this the road noise is not intrusive and we did not hear the airport noise at all. Be aware that there is nothing but an office building and roads in the vicinity of the hotel so you can’t go out for a meal etc without a car or by using the limited hotel bus.
We enjoyed the boardwalk covered in crabs and lizards and it was nice to enjoy nature so close to the city centre. The hotel pool was beautifully warm, the hot tub was hot! Did find it a little strange that there was nowhere to change in the pool area as you had to walk through the bar and reception area to get back to your room. (Found a toilet just round the corner from the pool so used that) There was still remodelling work being carried out to the public areas but this caused no problems or disruption.
There were several business events taking place in the hotel during our stay, at least two weddings and various football teams staying overnight before a game. We did feel that these took over the hotel staff and public rooms leaving other guests marginalised.
Pros: Ample free parking on site, close to the airport ( the hotel runs a bus) spacious, clean rooms, small fridge in each room, great beds and linens, fantastic helpful reception staff, screen to check on flights and computer to print boarding cards for departure, board walk, warm pool, never had to wait for a lift.
Cons: Breakfasts and drinks expensive, had to pay extra for internet in room, no towelling robes, had to have a car to get to shops/supermarket/restaurants, rooms nice but a little ‘bland’ in décor.
A slightly disappointing stay compared with our experience at other US hotels. Perhaps this is because it felt like a business/ wedding venue hotel rather than a luxury vacation hotel. If you go aware of these facts however you will have an excellent stay.

Room Tip: As for a bay view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Loanhead
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Hello Loanhead,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such great feedback regarding your stay in Tampa. I am sorry to hear of your concerns regarding the valet staff, the rooms, pool area and costs as well as the hotel having a lot of functions. I will be sure to share your concerns with hotel management. However, I am happy to see that despite these concerns, you did enjoy the stay and I truly hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Regards,

Belinda M - Guest Relations Associate
Columbus, Nebraska
Reviewed 26 November 2013

After reading the reviews posted here on trip advisor, I booked this hotel with I guess, high expectations! It was nothing spectacular! First the Likes: Great location, easy to get around from here. Really liked the breakfast menu/buffet and right away our first morning we had a wonderful waiter "Lincoln". He treated us like royalty and we made sure we asked for him EVERY morning after that. Both pools were great but we especially enjoyed the white beach pool area over by the restaurant oyster catchers. Fitness center was very good including a sauna. Some staff was very kind and knowledgable about Tampa, others seemed to be put out because you asked them a question they didn't know the answer to and just gave a quick response of some sort. I guess I was expecting more of the "we"ll go out of our way to help you" experience. The DisLikes: I booked thru booking.com way in advance and asked to have a bay view room. I received an email from booking.com that my request was submitted but would need to contact the hotel directly to confirm. This was important to us in deciding what hotel we were going to stay at. i called the hotel about 3days prior to our arrival to confirm this but was told they would only know whats available at the time I checked in! ? We were arriving around 6 so i thought we probanbly wouldnt get a view but we did. No bathroom fan(which i noticed a few mold spots starting on the ceiling in the shower area) The only plug in by a mirror was in the bathroom, so it made it difficult for more than 1 person to get ready at a time. The only way to get to the pools is to go thru the lobby and/or restaurant area which made us a little uncomfortable as there were always a lot of people in these areas and we just wanted to go to the pools at our leisure with swimsuits and cover ups. And again, I guess I expected the concierge to know all about everything Tampa, but it was a hit and miss when we had a question with who we got at the time to help us. And the lastly I had requested a late checkout( which I was told I could only do at the time we checked in due to availability, so I asked for a 2 o'clock as we were not flying out until 5 and was told that they "probably" could do a 130, so I thought, ok that would work. We were gone most of that morning and when we returned about 115, our key cards would not work, we were kinda panicked as we were just going to load and go. We called down to the front desk and the gal made it sound like it was our fault we are locked out as it was now 125 and our check out was 130. Once again I guess I expected a little more customer service...so they had to call maintenance to come and let us in...we were not very happy and they really didn't seem to care we were not happy..... We will not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends