“Great hotel!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel was on the bay with great views. We had booked a cheaper room away from the bay but asked if they had any bay views available, and they upgraded us to a king on the bay! Everyone at the hotel was nice, has drinks at the hotel bar with billy Joel's band! Oystercatchers was awesome, highly recommend for seafood dinner!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JTwardz
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. We are so thrilled we were able to upgrade your room to a bay view for your trip. Also, that you and your family were able to take advantage of having a fabulous meal at Oystercatchers. Hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Tampa Bay.

Warm regards,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 2 February 2014

After driving for hours through rain and darkness we arrived and everything was immediately taken care of, car, luggage, ourselves... and the high standard in every detail followed during the whole stay. As it was really chilly (hardest winter in 40 years) we couldn´t use the pool and outside area as much as planned, but everybody was very helpful and suggested other activities to us.
We are really picky when it comes to food, but pizza, dinner and breakfast was impressive and really tasty. No complains what so ever.
Huge room with grand views, lots of tv channels, wi fi and other services. Really friendly staff. We can highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Katarina O
HyattGuestRelations, A Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to provide us with your thoughts on your recent stay, at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. I am thrilled that you didn’t have to worry, and we were able to assist you with your luggage and car; once you finally reached our property. It sounds like you had an exhausting trip, and I’m so happy that you were able to kick back and relax upon arrival. I’m pleased to learn that you found your room to be comfortable, and large; and that you enjoyed the views. It is unfortunate that it was too cold out to enjoy the expansive grounds and pool at our property. It is nice to hear how helpful our staff was in suggesting other activities to enjoy; and that you found them to be kind and accommodating in other regards as well. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your meals, and found breakfast and dinner to be impressive. We do have several options for dining at our property, so if one option doesn’t suite you, the other hopefully will. Stating that you would recommend our property is the upmost compliment, thank you. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay on your next visit to the area, and hopefully the weather will be more cooperative.

Allie H. –A Guest Relations Associate
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Decent room and we had a nice view looking west over the bay but I am "diamond" with Hyatt and it was just a standard room. I do realize room upgrades are always subject to availability but they were not full. Also the Hyatt club level is closed Friday, Saturday and Sunday (the 3 days we stayed) but that wasn't a big deal to us. There was a mini fridge in the room. Free parking option was nice. Two major complaints with the room. First the thermostat controls are designed with guest discomfort in mind, a common theme with Hyatt. I like to turn the temp down low to sleep but the thermostat resets itself automatically to a higher temperature so you wake up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat. I'm sure they'll call it "energy efficient" but I call it just another way to boost corporate profit. Secondly the TV system is straight out of the 1980's. Not one hi def channel in the line up and the tv channel selection is utter crap. So you have a flat screen hi def tv and all the channels are blurry. We tried to watch a movie the first night and the antiquated technology wouldn't work. They sent maintenance to our room and an hour later he had it working which was then too late to pay $17.99 for a movie. Nothing close by so if you don't have a car you are stuck paying exorbitant hotel prices for food/bev. The prices they charge in the gift shop should be illegal. Shame on Hyatt for marking up items 500% over standard convenience store prices. The pool looked nice (we could see it from our room) but we didn't go as it was too cold. There is a hot tub and a bar next to the pool. We did have room service one night and the food quality was above average but it cost us over $75 for one pizza, one salad and one entree. They add a 22% tip automatically to the bill and then have the audacity to leave a blank line in case you want to give them even more money (I never do. Pet peeve of mine. It's not like they actually work for you like a waiter does). We also ate at Oystercatchers, one of the on site restaurants and it was decent but dinner for 3 was over $150 and portion sizes were VERY small. We only had one drink apiece and they were $14. I got the scallops and I think the entree was $35 and there were 3 scallops. The ambiance and view were nice. It is about a 10 minute walk from the main hotel. They do offer to drive you over there or I suppose you could drive and valet park. We did eat breakfast in the hotel and it's a nice buffet but the price was like $25 apiece. If I ever stay here again I would not eat on site. Poor value and there are many fine options less than a 10 minute drive. Property itself was nice and well maintained. Close to the airport and reasonably close to downtown Tampa. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking over the bay on a higher floor.
Green Features: Poor. No better than every other hotel out there. They encourage you to reuse your towels and have thermostats that reset themselves so they can say they are Eco friendly when in reality it's just to boost profits. Oh, they have "energy saving" fluorescent bulbs in the room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Larry W
Dunedin, Florida
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We had my daughters wedding at the Grand Hyatt Tampa. We had the reception at The Grand Hyatt Armanis. My family flew in from Detroit. My Daughter her Husband, My family and my wife and I stayed the night of the wedding at The Grand Hyatt. With such a major undertaking you would expect somthing to go wrong. Not the case.Everthing was perfect. Mariana (The catering manager for the Hyatt)did an excellent job on the wedding. The rooms were beautiful and well designed. The service (Bell hopps to room service to maid service) Was second to none. If you find yourself in Tampa looking for a place to stay for the night look no further.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Nice to hear that it was a Fantastic Wedding and Sincere Congratulations!
It is always great to hear that everything went the way it was planned and we appreciate the time you took to share your positive comments regarding the excellent service provided by our Catering Manager who made this wedding very successful and memorable. Your appreciative feedbacks were forwarded to the Executive management team at the hotel. Hope to welcoming you in the near future.

Johny E.-A Guest Relations Associate
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Let me start this by saying I don't give many 5 ratings for lodging... The property is very nice and very clean and everything is modern. The meeting rooms were comfortable, and the food the hotel brought up was excellent. There was nothing that really stood out and made me say "wow" about the hotel, but it was more than I would expect for lodging in this category.

If I had any complaint it would be about the pillows. There were four or five on the bed and each was too soft or too hard. That's really being nit picky, but I have to find something...

I didn't use the fitness center, but it looked really nice. There was a lot of modern equipment and it was a good sized fitness room.

As a previous reviewer mentioned, there were MANY MANY outlets that were very easy to access and distributed around the room, and multimedia attachments for the TV. The desk was a nice size, and the chair very comfortable. The view was nice as well.

I had no trouble with the wifi and did not have to pay for it either, and it seemed there were two levels of wifi available, one free and one you paid for. The free was just fine.

I can't really say anything about the location except it is convenient to the airport and many dining options. I don't know the area and we had a driver take us places, and quite honestly, I don't know if it was close to things or not but it seemed relatively convenient to everything we needed.

Room Tip: High floor if possible for a view of the water
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear wesleybean,

I am extremely happy to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback, it is much appreciated. Hopefully you can come back and stay with us again soon!

Thanks,

Danny
Guest Relations Associate
Blue Hill, Maine
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Just stayed two nights in one of the little Casitas (small semi-detached units) in a garden setting. Very nice. The hotel is right next to Tampa airport, but the jet noise is not really bothersome.

Unit was very clean and roomy. Only minor downside--nice wall hung flat screen tv--but only analog reception--no hi-def. I run into this a lot in hotels, they buy the tv but don't buy the connection.

A very pleasant place to stay--felt much less hemmed in than in the big glass tower. Will definitely stay there when in Tampa again.

Room Tip: Rooms with the little outside space facing the water are best. Can't really see the water throu...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
I'm so happy to hear your enjoyed your time in our Casita rooms. They make you feel like you aren't in the big city. We hope you can come see us again soon.

Becky S.- Guest Relations Associate
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I took my husband for a birthday getaway to Tampa. When the front desk clerk heard about the occasion, she upgraded us to a bay view room. Location is excellent, although it is a 15 minute drive to get to downtown Tampa. We preferred being right on the bay with easy access to airport, St. Petersburg (which we also visited) and many good restaurants. Rooms were modern and comfortable. What was most noteworthy was the outstanding service. Hotel staff members greeted us by name. Heather, the concierge, was extremely helpful and pleasant. Yes, they do charge for WiFi, but so do almost all high end hotels. (It is ironic that cheaper hotels give you free WiFi and the posh places charge.) The breakfast was excellent with a choice of continental and full buffet. The continental ($16) was more than enough for us, with fresh fruit, pastries, cold cereals, oatmeal, and a different extra each day, eg grilled asparagus. Since that price includes juice and coffee, it's more economical than ordering from the menu. Oystercatchers Restaurant is a lovely place to watch the sunset over drinks and/or dinner. It's a very pretty 10 min walk on the boardwalk or hotel staff will drive you there. It's not cheap, but for the price, I thought we got more than our money's worth. We felt pampered and rejunvenated.

Room Tip: You pay more for the bay view, but it's lovely.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and our wonderful staff. We are very lucky to have great people working at the hotel. I'm happy that you enjoyed to location of the hotel and it's convenience. I'm also happy that you enjoyed our breakfast and the variety it offered. We would love to welcome you back to the hotel and hope to see you soon.

Becky S.-Guest Relations Associate