“Excellent choice in Tampa”

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay
Ranked #3 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed here for four days as part of a conference and was very happy with the hotel. I've not had much luck finding exceptional hotels during previous stays in Tampa. I would come back here every time. I believe the hotel underwent a massive remodel that just completed at the beginning of 2014. The staff is extremely friendly and attentive. My room was immaculately clean. Great shower and water pressure. Sleep quality was very good. Quiet hallways and the housekeeping staff were very quiet making their rounds in the mornings - - really, EXTRA bonus points for that one. There's nothing worse than paying a lot of money for a high quality hotel and than being woken up and having to listen to "bap bap bap - housekeeping?! bap bap bap - housekeeping?!" repeated 27 times starting at 6:55 AM as they make their way down the hall. It's like Chinese water torture, waiting for the next bap bap bap. The bar scene was fun and the bartenders made great cocktails. The location offers pretty views of the bay and is extremely convenient to the airport. The conference food was also quite good. Often times the food at big buffets or sit-down dinners for 150 can be rather bland, but the kitchen put out plates with some flavor and interesting preparations. I'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the water
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Grand Hyatt Tampa during your conference. It is always a pleasure to hear that the hard work and commitment of our staff was instrumental in that success and you were impressed by the extremely friendly and attentive staff, the immaculately clean room and great shower, the great and excellent quality of sleep, quite housekeeping staff making their rounds in the morning and finally the quality of food made with some flavor and arranged by our chef in the cuisine. Your appreciation was forwarded to the Executive management team at the hotel. Hope to welcoming you in the near future.

Johny E.-A Guest Relations Associate

There are newer reviews for Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel on our return from visiting our daughter in Austin and before embarking on a Caribbean cruise. It cost slightly less than the airport hotel we had stayed in on our arrival from the U.K. one week earlier and we expected it to be slightly inferior. On the contrary. From entering the reception area via the sweeping drive, we could see and feel the ambience of the hotel. Reception staff were friendly and efficient and we were soon installed in our spacious and elegant hotel room. Everything in it, including the toiletries, were of the highest quality and the 'bar-snacks' we ordered in the comfortable lounge just off reception, were not only delightful to look at but deliciously satisfying with service to match. There is a huge pool set in delightful gardens and after a really good breakfast, (a bit pricey but worth it), we went out to explore the grounds. An 'eco' walkway took us about a kilometre to a roadway which led us into another part of the hotel which boasted a man-made beach with great views across Tampa Bay, another swimming pool and a barbecue area with a very upmarket restaurant, (which we were invited to look around). I actually commented to my husband that I would have been happy to stay in this hotel for our entire holiday instead of for just the one night which we had booked, and, should we ever return to Tampa there is no doubt that this is where we will stay

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Piggywiggles

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Grand Hyatt Tampa upon your return from visiting your daughter in Austin and before embarking on a Caribbean cruise. It is always a pleasure to hear that the hard work and commitment of our staff was instrumental in that success and that you enjoyed very much our newly, spacious, and elegant hotel room and our classy service offered by our friendly and efficient staff as well as the great views across the Tampa bay. Your appreciation was forwarded to the Executive management at the hotel. Hope to welcoming you in the near future.

Johny E.-A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Love, love, love this hotel. Both the hotel and the casitas are great. Service is excellent and love the location. It is a beautiful property as well. Oystercatchers restaurant is fabulous, they really know how to take care of you.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Fred I
HyattGuestRelations, A Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to provide us with feedback on your recent stay at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. I am thrilled you love our property, and have had the opportunity to stay in both our casitas and our main tower building. I am pleased to hear you find our location to be convenient, and beautiful. It is absolutely wonderful that you have also been able to enjoy the delicious Oystercatchers restaurant, and that you find our staff to be friendly and helpful. I love when I have the chance to stop over and have a delicious dinner there as well. Thank you for all of your kind words, and I very much hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay again soon.

Allie H. – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I've said it before with other reviews, but the measure of a good hotel is what happens when something goes wrong. On check-in, the clerk told us what a nice room it was, and we'd be able to enjoy the sunrise in the morning. We were shown to an East-facing room with no drapes; when I called down to see what was going on, the front desk sent a bellman up because they couldn't believe there were no drapes. The bellman who came up to check, shared a good laugh with us over the fact that there were, indeed, no curtains. The front desk found us another room, the bellman went down for new keys, and helped us move, and then asked us what else the hotel could do to make up for the fact that we'd been assigned to a room that should have been marked "do not rent". I was just overwhelmed and pleased with the response.

We were given Club access, and offered many extra bottles of water. And when we said that we'd appreciate some kind of nightlight, instead of leaving the washroom lights on all night, Alan immediately suggested a make-up mirror, and housekeeping had one in the room within just a couple of minutes.

Further, in the morning, housekeeping called. "We're so sorry about what happened; what can we do to make up for it; please call us if we can do anything to help."

And at breakfast, we were also very impressed with the organization and good service. In the face of formidable crowds, the staff stays calm and cheerful and helpful.

And after lunch, when we stopped by the front desk, to ask for the GM's email, I identified myself, and the clerks there both said the same thing -- how sorry they were for the terrible inconvenience of the previous night. It was very impressive to me that the whole hotel seemed to know that this had happened; it wasn't some dark secret to be hidden away, but an important learning opportunity for everybody.

That night, I hosted 8 for dinner at their signature seafood restaurant Oystercatchers: the service and ambience and great experience continued.

This is a remarkable property; management has empowered the staff to act immediately to fix what needs fixing, without having to say "let me check with somebody else..." or worse "you need to call somebody else...", both of which are common responses in many hotels.

We happened to be in the hotel during a major convention, so the second night, when we had dinner at their top-floor Italian restaurant called Armani's, there were 2 tables of 20 each, and many tables of 6 or more, and the noise was impossible, but this was definitely an accident of timing. In all three of their restaurants, the service is impeccable, the food delicious.

I could heap superlatives on this property for several more paragraphs, but I'll finish simply by saying that anybody whose plans include Tampa will find this hotel just as good as it gets.

Room Tip: The "club" is on 12, with key access; 14th floor has Armani's restaurant, and a small...
1  Thank djsmapping
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Hello djsmapping!

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience from the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. I am so sorry to hear about the check in inconvenience you experienced but I am absolutely thrilled to hear our staff was amazing at getting this issue fixed immediately and upgrading you to Club Access! We can't wait to welcome you back on your next trip to Tampa Bay.

Warm regards,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 17 February 2014

The hotel has good rooms but charge almost for everything, they charge for business center, internet on rooms, internet on meeting rooms, they charge for bottle water in the room, they charge for receiving a package. They charge for everything....

Before I arrive I call to ask if I could receive a package and envelope by mail, they said yes and do not said anything else about the fees. On the room facility book do not specify any charge for receiving mail but they charge a ridiculous fee of 8 dollar for any envelope or box that they receive. It is a inconceivable fee for doing nothing, because they are no adding any value to the package or the customer.

After I noticed that, I spoke with the front desk staff, one of them promised me to eliminate the mailing charges, but the day I did my checkout those charges still on my bill, finally after 10 minutes they erase those charges.

One day after I checked out, I received a new bill for 2 water bottles that I DID NOT drink on the hotel room, so I had to write again and finally they erase those charges.

One day my hand soap and my shampoo ended, but after the housekeeper made the room, they do not replace those items. I have to call in order to have a new hand soap and a new shampoo bottle.

The room quality is good, they have a free shuttle bus to the airport and to a couple of shopping centers, they do not have bath tub but you can have a good rest.

They charge for the internet and they also charge for a premium internet. With the basic plan you cannot do an skype call because it dropped out.

So, my advice for the customers that read this review is that please double check your bill before and after leaving.

2  Thank cfrancop
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Good Afternoon cfrancop,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your stay at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. I am so sorry to hear about the billing errors you encountered during this visit and I hope management was able to settle everything and get it corrected. If not, please give our Guest Relation department a call and we are more than happy to look into this information for you. I am so sorry to hear this was not the best experience and we have forwarded your remarks to our executive management team in regards to the pricing on WiFi and other amenities. We hope this does not deter you from staying with us again in the future and would love to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 12 February 2014

This is my favourite hotel in Tampa. The Concierge David was so welcoming and very pleased to be of assistance especially as we did not arrive until the early hours of the morning due to delayed flights. Provided us with complimentary bottles water and would also have provided free toiletries so,that we could just go to sleep without unpacking. Lovely sized room first time view was of the car park but also the airport runway so I was happy watching the aircraft.. No noise either had a fantastic sleep in a very spacious room. The breakfast was lovely and have already reviewed this. I loved the hotel grounds and walked on the boardwalks to the bay. It was wonderful seeing little crabs walking all along the boardwalk and to see fish jumping and wonderful,birdlife. Fell in love with this hotel. The hotel is stylish in decor and the grounds are spectacular and worth every penny. Came back again for our return to Uk and was given a smaller room with a bay view. The wildlife again amazing and the sunset was worth the smaller room. Had room service and the member of staff delivering it was so friendly. The steak sandwich and fries is worth every penny. Downside the Oystercatcher Restaurant which was an awful experience and overpriced. However fortunately there are options available. I paid in advance for the same night in another Hotel in Tampa but forfeited the money so I could stay in this hotel again. So glad I did, lovely hotel

Room Tip: Just ask for a Bayview if you like wildlife and they are also happy to provide you with any toiletri...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Hyatt Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear Tallulah235,

Thank you for your wonderful account of your recent stays at the Grand Hyatt Tampa. I am so pleased to hear this is your favorite hotel in Tampa! Especially after a long and delayed flight, it is great to hear the staff are so attentive to your needs. I am so glad you take advantage of our beautiful grounds during your visits, too.

We do hope to welcome you back soon!

Julie B--Hyatt Guest Relations

Reviewed 8 February 2014

This Hyatt is exactly what you would expect from Hyatt. Good and attentive service, modern design, rooms good for business with many power points and a good sized desk. Comfortable beds and good sized bathrooms - even if some only have showers - like mine. The location is good for the Airport but nothing really walkable nearby - you need a car to get anywhere. Free parking which is useful. Good sized gym with lots of machines and free weights. Well stocked breakfast buffet as well as a la carte. Go to the Oystercatchers restaurant - the only thing you can walk to - 5 minutes along a great wooden walkway through a mini nature reserve - outstanding views if you get there for sunset and great fish and seafood. So a good hotel experience - does exactly what you expect from a Hyatt.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business