“Dazed and confused”

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay
Ranked #2 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We reserved a king standard with no specific view in mind. Upon arrival the grounds were well groomed and the valet greeted us with a smile and cold bottled water...so far so good. However the check in process was a disaster. Jus. greeted us than begin to peck away at the keyboard franticly. Finally he announced our room and sent us on our way. Club level with a great view, well appointed room, but with two full size beds. My fiancé and I called down to have our room switched and were told someone would assist us within an hour??? We gathered our luggage once again and made our way back down to the lobby. Jus. and Shan. both apologized for the mixed up but appeared dazed and confused in attempting to assign us to another room. This began 35mins of "We don't have any king rooms available although we are NOT fully committed. We have guests checking in tomorrow and can't move them to another room; it would be too much trouble, because you can't just move one room." Finally we were offered a room with no end table. The next day the power went out in the hotel and for over three hours we had to walk up and down 8 flights of stairs and take cold showers. I was unable to press my clothes or dry my hair in preparations for the evenings events. Nothing Grand about this Hyatt.

4  Thank Peggy H
Write a ReviewReviews (3,049)

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I don't usually get to stay in hotels of this quality, so it was a very happy set of circumstances that landed me here for two nights.

The staff are courteous, responsive and ready to help out. The hotel can provide many things that you may have forgotten (including a kettle!! who keeps spare kettles, I love it!)

The rooms are well sized and comfy, so comfy, I want that bed. The walk in shower is large. Towels are soft and fluffy.

The pool that you see in all of the pictures, the sandy beach, the bean bag toss, ping pong tables etc.. is about a 5 minute quick walk from the hotel. If you have small children you might want to take the shuttle.

Pet peeve - no free wifi

Room Tip: I shouldn't share this with you, but here it is. We bid on a 4 star hotel in this area on Price...
1  Thank FollowTheMusic
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and it's wonderful staff and comfy accommodations. I'm glad that you enjoyed to beautiful pool and all the activities it had to offer. We would love to welcome you back and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

This is a great hotel close to the Tampa airport. It is modern and the staff were very friendly. Our room was clean and modern. Very nice shower. Pools were nice although not as large as pictures make them appear. Kids enjoyed the walk on the nature trail to the pool by the casitas. Complimentary lemonade, water and cookies in lobby was a nice surprise.

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 29 March 2014

There is no reason why this hotel shouldn't be rated five-star all of the way. The amenities are aplenty, the views are awesome and the most important thing that the hotel has going for it- the staff can't do enough for you to make sure you have the most pleasant time you ever had. Everyone always greets you with a smile, the rooms are as clean and comfortable as can be, the pools are awesome, the two restaurants on property (Oystercatchers and Armani's) are top rate. We especially love Oystercatchers- great seafood while overlooking the bay...sunsets are a sight to see from there. Have been coming here for a while and look forward to come back again real soon!

Room Tip: You can't get a bad room on this property!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

I'm so happy that you had a wonderful stay at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. I'm happy that you were able to experience the great customer service our hotel has to offer. Glad that you enjoyed you time at our restaurants. We would love to have you back and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

This place was awesome. Staff was incredibly kind and helpful, room was very clean and spacious. My only complaint (and I realize I'm reaching a bit here) is that the tv service was very grainy - I've seen better picture quality at Motel 6s. But again, that's my only complaint, and watching tv wasn't all that important to me for my trip, so not a big deal. I would love to stay here again if I'm ever in the area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank StingerHook
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and it's great staff. I'm glad you enjoyed our beautiful rooms and all the hotel had to offer. We would love to see you back again and hope to see you soon. Thank you for choosing Hyatt.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

This hotel is beautiful inside and out. Unfortunately we weren't able to explore it the way we wanted to because there was some kind of convention going on. There was a mix up administratively with a member of our party and their room. The hotel was nice enough to comp his room and offer a sincere apology. The bar food was really good, I would highly recommend the Grouper Poppers.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Hands down the best hotel to stay in the Tampa area. I'm a big Hyatt fan but this hotel it best in class....everything from the rooms, staff, grounds and food are amazing. Very close to the airport for an early/late flight or close to downtown, Hyde Park or St. Pete. Highly recommend. The pool is great.

Room Tip: If you're a gold passport upgrade to a suite, highly worth it at this property.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
HyattGuestRelations, A Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. It is a huge compliment to call us the best hotel in the Tampa area, and we all very much appreciate your kind words. I am thrilled that you enjoy our rooms, staff, grounds, pool, and restaurants. We work very hard to try to present our guest’s with an amazing experience, and I am so happy to hear it is paying off. I’m delighted that you find our property to be convenient to not only the airport, but many parts of the city. Thank you for your support and loyalty, and I hope we will be able to welcome you back soon.

Allie H. – A Guest Relations Associate