“Lots to love”

Ranked #3 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Lots to love”
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

This was our first time at a Hyatt hotel and we were not disappointed. We found the rooms to be nicely furnished, updated, clean and super pet friendly. We stayed at the Casitas. Like little private homes with small our door patios. The staff is really friendly and helpful. The AC is very quiet and efficient, beds comfy and linens great with big fluffy towels. The grounds of the hotel and the pools are clean & very well maintained. My only criticism is that the food at Oystercatchers is way over priced. The fish is good but being from Florida, not out of the ordinary. Lastly, the airport noise can sometimes be intrusive. You'll get a 747 wake up call about 630 am. Other than that, it's a great property. I would stay here again and eat elsewhere.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
I am pleased to hear that you were not disappointed during your first stay at the Grand Hyatt Tampa, FL. Also, it is always nice to hear positive and appreciative feedback from loyal customer who recognize our World Class Service provided by our staff at Hyatt. Despite your only criticism regarding the food price at the Oystercatchers, your kind comments regarding the room and our fabulous pool were forwarded to the Executive management team at the hotel and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future in FL.

Johny E.-A Guest Relations Associate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I was here for a large business meeting. What a great venue! Beautiful location, parking not a problem, very friendly and helpful staff throughout. I was particularly lucky in getting a very large bay view suite, which was comfortable in the extreme, with fantastic views. Nice bar atmosphere, bar food very individual and tasty. Tried Oyster Catchers restaurant - nice setting, excellent food. Tried Armani's top floor restaurant - OK, somewhat over-priced, and the only place where the service (although friendly and helpful) was inconsistent - we had some very long waits between courses. But elsewhere, the service was exemplary - concierge, door staff, reception, all extremely helpful and professional.
The rooms for our business meetings were excellent, at least as good if not better than the many other resorts we have hosted our conventions.

Room Tip: High floor Bay view is the way to go, unless you like to watch the planes landing at Tampa Airport!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Right from the start, I knew I made a great choice in choosing the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. My sister and I were picked up from the airport in the courtesy hotel shuttle. Our driver, Wayne, offered us bottled water as soon as we were seated. 10 minutes later we arrived at the hotel and were greeted by complimentary lemonade, cucumber water, and cookies in the lobby. Though slightly more expensive, I opted for a bay view room and I'm glad that I did. The views of the bay both day and night are pretty great. The room appeared to be recently renovated -- new carpet, new tiles, new wallpaper, new furniture. After a pretty hard rain (and a brief power outage) we explored the grounds. Amazeballs! There's a wooden path that forks and runs through the lush greenery on the property. My favorite part of our nature walk -- seeing a manatee surface 5-feet away while we stood on the dock behind Oystercatchers restaurant. If it weren't for the rain-soaked sand, we would have sat around the firepit on the tiny beach also behind Oystercatchers restaurant. The nearby hammocks looked inviting (I'm a sucker for a hammock), but wet. On day two, we decided to do more walking, this time off the property. There's a super convenient walking/bike path adjacent to the hotel that runs down along the bay. Take. this. walk. It's scenic and about 1-1/2 miles in you'll reach Hogan's Beach. Stop in for food, drinks, or beach volleyball; or stay on the walking path and peoplewatch the jet skiiers. A few yards away is Whiskey Joe's. Same type of activities. I really enjoyed my stay at the Grand Hyatt with all of its amenities and excellent staff and service but there are two areas I hope they improve before my next visit. One - provide HD television service. Say what you want, but watching standard def tv nowadays is pretty lame; in a 4-star hotel, no less. And considering there are flatscreen, HD-ready LG televisions in the rooms, it's a little strange. Two - provide *free* WiFi in the guest rooms. In-room WiFi is available for $10/day. Maybe I'm just spoiled, but I expect HD service and free WiFi to be standard amenities nowadays, like blowdryers and irons

Room Tip: Opt for a bay view room. It'll cost a bit extra, but well worth it.
Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank flight321
Allen, Texas
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

First time to Tampa bay. Stayed at the Hyatt before. Great location, close to the airport and other entertainment, shopping and restaurants. The lobby/public area was clean and modern. The rooms were clean, furniture was in good condition, no stains, or wear and tear noted. The staff were friendly, anticipated needs and accommodating. We walked outside to restaurants that were in walking distant. The area seemed safe. Breakfast is the traditional continental plus nothing special. We would certainly stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback regarding our staff and their excellent customer service provided during your stay for the first time in the Tampa bay area. Also, it is always a pleasure to hear that you will recommend this property to others for its style, cleanness, excellent service, and its great cuisine. Your appreciation was forwarded to the Executive management at the hotel. Hope to welcoming you soon in the near future.

Johny E.-A Guest Relations Associate
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here post cruise ship vacation and immediately on check in wished we'd stayed pre cruise as well, rather than the intercontinental at double the price!
Staff service style is personal, stylish, reassuring, from everyone at the front desks, the astounding concierge lady, the helpful bar staff in Armani's and truly reflects the tasteful surroundings of this hotel.we were advised we had a standard room, which exceeded all our expectations with its decor and views.nice touches we noticed were the polite notices to monitor voice levels in the evenings in the hallways and the silent close room doors. Delicious drinks and bar snack in the bar, and when we had to wait for coffee, were told this was comp, due to the delay! Barman A.J is a credit to the hotel . The receptionist recommended Oystercatchers restaurant which we reached by a lovely walk through the grounds. Again, knowledgable, fine attentive service and delicious food prevailed.we liked the comp wifi in the comfortable lobby, the outside bar area, shuttle service to the mall and to the airport. On check out, unfortunately, we couldn't have a late check out, suitable due to an evening flight, however, the reception team offered us luggage storage, use of the fitness/spa area and made sure we were aware we could enjoy snacks or beverages until we chose to depart. All I all, I am so impressed with this hotels standards, I hope to return to Tampa and would not stay any where else in this area?well done to all the outstanding team members here.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jon I
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
I am glad to see you had such a great stay after your cruise at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. Our staff will be happy to see you appreciated their effort to make your stay special. I hope you get the chance to stay with us again soon.

-John S, Guest Relations Associate
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We reserved a king standard with no specific view in mind. Upon arrival the grounds were well groomed and the valet greeted us with a smile and cold bottled water...so far so good. However the check in process was a disaster. Jus. greeted us than begin to peck away at the keyboard franticly. Finally he announced our room and sent us on our way. Club level with a great view, well appointed room, but with two full size beds. My fiancé and I called down to have our room switched and were told someone would assist us within an hour??? We gathered our luggage once again and made our way back down to the lobby. Jus. and Shan. both apologized for the mixed up but appeared dazed and confused in attempting to assign us to another room. This began 35mins of "We don't have any king rooms available although we are NOT fully committed. We have guests checking in tomorrow and can't move them to another room; it would be too much trouble, because you can't just move one room." Finally we were offered a room with no end table. The next day the power went out in the hotel and for over three hours we had to walk up and down 8 flights of stairs and take cold showers. I was unable to press my clothes or dry my hair in preparations for the evenings events. Nothing Grand about this Hyatt.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Peggy H
Burlington, Ontario
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I don't usually get to stay in hotels of this quality, so it was a very happy set of circumstances that landed me here for two nights.

The staff are courteous, responsive and ready to help out. The hotel can provide many things that you may have forgotten (including a kettle!! who keeps spare kettles, I love it!)

The rooms are well sized and comfy, so comfy, I want that bed. The walk in shower is large. Towels are soft and fluffy.

The pool that you see in all of the pictures, the sandy beach, the bean bag toss, ping pong tables etc.. is about a 5 minute quick walk from the hotel. If you have small children you might want to take the shuttle.

Pet peeve - no free wifi

Room Tip: I shouldn't share this with you, but here it is. We bid on a 4 star hotel in this area on Price...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FollowTheMusic
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and it's wonderful staff and comfy accommodations. I'm glad that you enjoyed to beautiful pool and all the activities it had to offer. We would love to welcome you back and hope to see you soon.

Becky S