“Great view, not so great room”
Review of Bay Harbor Hotel

Bay Harbor Hotel
Ranked #47 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights after a recent cruise. Picked the hotel because of the location, view and balconies. We were not disappointed by any of those items. The room however needed some serious TLC. Looks like it may have recently been refurbished, but they did a very rush job in completing it. The carpet was not stretched out and tacked down properly, causing it bunch up against the wall. The sliding glass door leaked when it rained and soaked the carpet too. The bed was fine, no issue there. The bathroom had been painted red, and there was paint drops and smears on the counter that were never cleaned up, the mirror had some strange defect or damage going all the way around it that made it look dirty. The sink was not cleaned from the prior people staying in our room. Toothpaste and hair on the counter and sink..yuck. Other than that the room was clean, fairly quiet and the view gorgeous! If they make some improvements, we would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Destindreamn
BAYHARBOR, Guest Relations Manager at Bay Harbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Destindreamn,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us. I'm sorry that you got a room that had not been properly inspected. We're working on that. I think that by the time you come back, things will be taken care of, but don't stay away too long. We're looking forward to seeing you again.

There are newer reviews for Bay Harbor Hotel

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Our stay was in May. In April, my family stayed at a Best Western Plus in the Miami area and they loved it. So when we planned on meeting in Tampa, my wife made the reservation for an entire weekend. After we checked in and waited for 45 minutes until we got our room while other guests checked in and went straight to their rooms. We finally got our room on the bottom floor, which was wheelchair accessible, which meant that when in the shower the bathroom flooded and the shower head sprayed all over the place. We decided to check out in the morning and headed to Orlando for the rest of the weekend. At least the personnel were very nice and friendly.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Pedro L,

I'm sorry we were not what you expected. We are not a Best Western Plus and we set our rates accordingly. Your comment about some guests checking in before others is one we get often and is understandable. On most nights, we are sold out of at least one room type. It is impossible to get all of the rooms ready by 3 P.M., which is when check in starts. The guests who checked in right away either had a different room type than you or agreed to take "first available," even if it meant taking a different type of room. If you are ever back in our area, we would be glad to welcome you back.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed here on my last business trip. Room had a giant bathroom, sitting area, eating area and bedroom area. It was enormous. Plus nice view of the bay and restaurant below with a huge indoor / outdoor bar and "Hogan's Beach". I'm not a big wrestling fan, but it is cool to see all the memorabilia. Had a great meal in the bar and caught the game. Then went out on the patio and watched the locals playing volleyball. And Hogan's old manager, Jimmy Hart is running the place. Close to causeway which makes a great early morning run or walk. For $99, you can't beat it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
BAYHARBOR, Guest Relations Manager at Bay Harbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Steve B,

Thank you very much. I'm glad you took the time to let us and other prospective guests know about your experience with us. I hope you'll come back soon.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed here on my way to my 10 night vacation in St. Pete. I was arriving past midnight so I just needed a hotel to zzz. The hotel offers a free shuttle from airport, but since I arrived past midnight it was too late. This wasn't a bad experience since I was renting a car, but it was nice to know there was a shuttle bus here. I checked in past midnight and was given a beautiful room overlooking the bay. I had a night cap a the Hulk Hogan restaurant/bar which closed at 2am. I liked it because they had all the Hulkmania memorabilia on hand. It brought back memories of my teen years. The hotel staff was very friendly and they even helped me out in the morning with directions. It's a fantastic property with great views. I would stay here again on my next visit.

Room Tip: ask for a bay view! stunning views
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Garseeya,

Thank you for taking your time to write such a complete and complimentary review of our hotel. I'm glad you liked it so well. I hope you next visit is coming up soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I have driven by this hotel for years and decided to give this place a try. It was right in the beach and looked fabulous.

Was disappointed with my "city view". I had a nice balcony, but no view. It was blocked by plastic guards as the room was directly over the car entrance and registration desk. Housekeeping cleaned my room and didn't replace any towels the first day. So the second day, I left the "do not disturb" on the door so I could sleep in and the housekeeping crew just barged right in. Obviously they need to learn how to read.

The local restaurant was a tribute to Hulk Hogan and the food was good. The dinners are reasonably priced and the breakfast is really good, however a few of the morning waitress could use a personality uplift. They didn't smile and forgot half my breakfast order.

All in all, a reasonable price and decent place to stay, but personally I will stay across the causeway next time at the Hampton Inn and drive to the beach.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear AngeldB,

I'm really sorry about your room. We normally save that room for somebody who is checking in late at night and may want to sleep late the next morning. We were sold out over the week end, but if you had called that to our attention, we would have done our best to move you. I'm glad you liked the restaurant and the food. I understand your point about driving across the causeway. No doubt, they are closer to Clearwater Beach, but that means farther from the Tampa airport. I don't know how they compare to us as far as rates and amenities go. I hope that you will drop in again sometime.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel because it was on the water and it was my anniversary. It was advertised to have a private beach. When we arrived we found out private beach means 20 yards of sand covering a drain pipe. The beach was covered in trash. Private beach is a lie. To get to it you must walk through a public restaurant and bar. We thought that maybe the pool would be better. Online it said outdoor heated pool. It did not talk about how dirty it would be. In order to get into the freezing cold (unheated pool) pool you had to sift through the staw, bugs, and garbage. When I asked the front desk for towels for the pool I was given hand towels. The overall feel of the hotel was very underwhelming. The paint was done without painter tape on everthing. Extra streaks and drops of paint are on everything. The mirror in the room had glue and paint all over it like it was missing its frame. The blow dryer is broken. We had no information bookin the room. When we tried to call the front desk about it no one answered 3 different times. We were left on hold then hung up on when ordering room service. The railing on the balcony is unsafe. It wobbles a good bit. It is not secure to the building and presents a fall hazard. The overall experiance was horrible. We will never come back to the bay harbor hotel and we will tell anyone that asks how bad this hotel is?

Room Tip: Go to the double tree hotel down the street or just sleep in your car. Anything would be better then...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marc D

Dear Marc D,

I'm sorry that we did not meet your expectations. In carefully re-reading your review, I think that you may have set your expectations too high for the type of hotel that we are and the prices we charge. We are not a Gulf side resort. We are on Tampa Bay where there are not wide expenses of sand. Our "20 yards of sand" is private. It is only for the use of our patrons and the only way you can access it, unless you swim ashore, is through our property. We are changing our list of amenities to be "seasonally" heated pool. I personally do not know of any pools in Florida that are heated in June, but we don't mean to mislead anybody. The pool area is checked on a regular schedule by the housekeeping staff. The restaurant and maintenance staff also keep an eye on it. Guests don't always use the refuse containers when they leave the area. We try not to let things pile up, but at any given time, there will be something left out there. It's an outdoor pool. This is Florida. You're going to see insects from time to time. Our pools towels are small, but you can have as many as you want. I wish you had said something about the railing when you were here, so I could get it fixed, same with the hair dryer. Our guest directories are being revised to reflect the new condition of the hotel. As you noted, we are not quite finished with renovations. Your room needed some further attention. Our renovations are nearly complete. Again, I'm sorry we did not meet your expectations, but now knowing what you know, maybe you would like to try us again.

Guests Services Manager

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed one night because we had an early flight next morning. Room was on the first floor, so there was a lot of noise from the bar and pool. Bathroom was "updated" but it needed more than garish red paint on the vanity wall to vercome the "tired" feel. Paint job was sloppy. Beds were new, as was the flat screen TV. Shower was weird, and required a call to maintenance to figure out how it worked. I'd choose a different hotel were we to do this again.

Room Tip: Bay side has the view, but also noise from the bar/pool. Try city view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
BAYHARBOR, Guest Relations Manager at Bay Harbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Ron 181,

I'm sorry that your experience wasn't what you expected. The pool closes at 10 P.M., but I guess that can be too late, if you have to get up early. I hope the next time you'r in town, you'll rethink your decision.