“Excellent service and attention”

Tampa Airport Marriott
Ranked #11 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Travelling is hard enough, but when your flight is grounded and you are put into a hotel; well, that can be even more stressful. We were sent to this Marriot and I am now sold on Marriot. The management could not have predicted the volume of people suddenly set upon them, but management handled it with grace and professionalism. We decided to treat ourselves to the restaurant above the airline coupon and management didn't charge us saying that he wished all stranded travellers were so polite. There was no point in making ourselves or anyone else unhappy about our flight. Thank you Marriot. Your bed and room were amazing too. My young son hit the mattress and was out in seconds.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 May 2012

My husband and I had a very early flight out in the morning and decided for convenience sake to stay at the Marriott that connects right to the airport. It was a wise decision and we would do it again. The room was great, bed comfy, and there was no noise. We were able to take a walk through the hotel lobby into the airport and check out the shops and have dinner in the TGIFriday that was close. That wasn't so hot but the hotel was perfect. The bell staff comes on duty at 4:00 am so we arranged ahead of time to have the bellman come to get our bags at 4:30 am. He was prompt and pushed our stuff on a cart over to the United check-in which wasn't too far. Other folks schlepping their stuff looked at us with envy. Here is the best tip. Surprisingly even at that time of the morning, there was quite a line at the United counter. We waltzed a few more feet out the doors and checked in at the curb where there was no line at all. I love it when a plan comes together.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I stayed overnight at this airport hotel since my flight got in late and I wanted to wait until the next morning to drive home from Tampa, where I had left my car. The hotel is so close to the airport, a few steps away. The room on the concierge floor was very nice and looked newly redone. Although there was a rather a small bathroom it was very clean and more than adequate.

Room service was good, although i wasn't thrilled that this was my only option for dinner. On a Sunday night all the hotel restaurants were closed. Front desk manager was rather rude when I asked what I thought was a reasonable question, but the young lady who checked me in was very friendly and helpful. I had to leave so early next morning I missed the free coffee in the concierge lounge but it was great to be a short walk away from the airport parking.

Room Tip: I had an outside room on the 6th floor. Amazingly I couldn't hear any airport noise. I went ri...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Our plane arrived at 10:55pm. We got our luggage right away and by 11:15 we were in our room at the Marriott. It is so convenient and easy to find unlike the airport hotels in other cities where you have to change terminals to access the hotel. Check in was fast and easy. We booked the breakfast package and inquired about coupons, but were told our name would be on the list. We fell into be exhausted and slept soundly all night. This is the most soundproof airport hotel we have ever stayed in. Our room looked out at the airport tower and runways. In the morning we noticed that the room seemed a bit on the small side, especially the bathroom, but that was of no concern since we would be leaving later in the morning.
We went down to breakfast and told them we had the breakfast package and they directed us to the buffet.There were lots of good choices and an omelet station for cooked to order eggs. The waitress providing the beverages was very efficient. We liked that they left the whole pot of coffee on the table instead of waiting for someone to refill the cups.
When it came time to leave they asked for our name and room number and of course our name was not on the list. The harried waitress said she would check on it, but they couldn't find it. We assured them that we had the package and they said fine, that we could just go. Another couple was having the same difficulty.
On the way to check out my husband stopped by the restaurant and showed them our confirmation which clearly stated breakfast package. We told the lady at the front desk about the problem and she said, " It happens all the time. Don't worry about it." That is not the right answer because they put their guests in an embarrassing position. They need to give out coupons and if the guest loses them then it is their problem.
My husband stayed at this hotel last year and we will definitely stay there again when traveling through Tampa because it is so convenient. We were there on a Friday night and there were lots of cruise passengers at the hotel. It would be a good place to stay for one night before a cruise, especially if you arrive late in the evening.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2012

The hotel has a good location, especially for a tired traveler. Rooms are reasonable, quality is Marriott standard. Considering the hotel is surrounded by the airport, the soundproofing is outstanding. The front desk does a good job trying to meet ones needs. Everything inexpert in a Marriottband more.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2012

The hotel and the room were great. They have gone too far on trying to make their price look low. Please understand that I am a Marriott Rewards member. Notwithstanding that fact:

1. I was charged a high price for cheap wine in what was allegedly the concierge level lounge. In most hotels this is free. The evening "happy hour" in the lounge consisted of some stale crackers, poorly displayed cheese and fired mushrooms. The lounge appeared to be disigned to be uncomfortable so you would not stay .... I noted most people did not.

2. The signature restraunt was closed BOTH Sunday and Monday.

3. So much for free wi/fi in your room (which is provided at almost every other hotel). By the time taxes were added the cost was over $17.00 per day. That is simply abusive.

4. Since it was an airport hotel I understand being charged the $10.00 per day for parking. This went up to $18.00 if you chose to use the valet.

The hotel was nice .... but add about $50 to the quoted cost if you are comparing against other chains.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Average to slightly above average Marriott property attached to TPA. The staff of this property are professional and detailed oriented. Concierge level staff are outstanding and always pleasant. Here's a summary of my observations...

Pros
- Attached to TPA and 3-4 minute walk to the tram to security area
- Room service is prompt and reasonable

Needs improvement
- Rooms though recently renovated are below average to comparable properties
- Room price is not worth value received
- $14.95/day charge for WiFi