“Good not great, seems to over-book sometimes”

Tampa Marriott Westshore
Ranked #61 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 29 March 2012

This hotel was good, but not great. It is very close to the Tampa airport and Yankees spring training, but not close to any beaches. Which we knew going in, so again, location was good for our purposes. Our room was clean, and seemed fairly recently renovated. Beds were comfortable. Pool area was nice. Some confusion as we were originally told there was no food service to the pool area, but then later told we could be served. Breakfast buffet was good, but did not come with the room. Hotel staff was nice, and there is a shuttle you can use for the airport, or to go out within a 2 mile radius.

Would have given 4 stars, except they oversold the hotel the first night of our stay and originally said they did not have 2 of the 4 rooms we reserved. It was worked out ok, although we did not get our room preferences (King bed vs 2 double beds). I would be careful about things like this if you book here.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 March 2012

my club sports team is currently staying here and this is the worst staff at any marriott I have ever stayed at. Supposedly they over booked by 30 rooms and was suppose to offer guests to switch to another hotel, fee breakfst etc. They did nothing. They put 4 people in a room with a king size and sometimes offered cots. Then they c omplained to the guests as if we had a problem. This was s stay to play so we were required to stay there. They knew that and took advantage of us.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Every single Marriott staff member that I had any interaction with was incredible! They should win a customer service award. Especially, since the food is TERRIBLE (even the burger that I had from room service...dry bun, undercooked meat...). And, housekeeping was mediocre....not cleaning out my soap dish daily nor brushing off my bed prior to making it up. Traffic is awful in this area, but that is not the hotels fault. But., the hotel needs updated.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 5 March 2012

The staff at the hotel was the highlight of the trip. They greeted me everytime I came in or left the hotel. Very attentive to my needs.

I would stay here again, even with the slow elevators.

Pro:
Very nice indoor/outdoor pool. The pool was heated and warm. The hot tub was unavailable.
Free shuttles. The hotel will drop off and pick up within about 3 miles. This includes airport, shopping, restaurants, etc.
Close to restaurants/shopping - Within walking distance to 2 malls with restaurants.
Room - the beds were very comfy. I was able to get a mini fridge in the room.

Cons:
Elevators were slow as others have noted. On my last day, only 1 elevator was functional. During the morning rush, I waited 5 minutes for the elevator
Water temp in the rooms can be iffy - The first evening, I was not able to get hot water. The first morning, I let the shower run for about 5 minutes until warm water started running. Another guest had a similar problem. I did not report this to the front desk because the water quickly warmed up the following days.
Small bathroom. It was OK for one person, but 2 people could not be in the bathroom using the mirror at once.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and refridgerator in your room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Besides the slow elevators, the stay was good. The beds are extremely comfortable. The rooms are quiet. I recommend some more attention to the elevators. They are really slow. Plus one of them skipped my floor every time. The indoor/outdoor pool is beautiful. The pool attendants handed out bottles of water. The fitness room was good with 3 treadmills, 2 elliptical machines and 2 bikes plus weights. They have a coffee snack center plus a restaurant. We visited the concierge lounge which was well worth it on e 14 floor.. The only negative was a few burned out lights in the room, one in bathroom and other bed light. Maintenance responded quickly. The carpet should have been vacuumed better.

Room Tip: I recommend the poolside unless you want to look down at the strip club across the street.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Stayed here for a quick stay after a late arrival to TPA befor departing for Sarasota. The hotel seemed a bit dated compared to other Marriott properties. The elevators were slow ( not just waiting for one) but thu actually moved slowly between floors and it seemed to hang before the doors would open. The room was on the smaller size and the bathroom was the smallest I have ever seen. Way smaller than NYC hotels. The door barely cleared the toilet. There was no way more than one person could be in there at the same time. The beds were incredibly comfortable. The breakfast buffet in the breakfast was typical Marriott. Nothing special but nothing negative either. Check in was friendly and fast. No complaints. It was a short drive from the airport and very convenient since the Marriott at the airport was full. We had a car so I dont know what the shuttle situation is like. It it was very easy to find using gps on my iPhone.

I would probably try another property next time just because nothing grabbed me to make me want to come back.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This hotel was spacious, but that is all. It is a converted Embassy Suites. There was plenty of room without any of the amenities. There was no Breakfast. Most hotels at least have coffee. There was none to be had here. Just those crappy hotel room coffee pots. The pool was no big deal. A hot tub would have been relaxing. It was just okay. The bathroom was small. The shower did not really work, water was still pouring from the spigot when you turned on the shower. It took forever to get a clean towel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family