“Excellent maintenance service”

Ranked #60 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Elysburg, Pennsylvania
“Excellent maintenance service”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

A big thank you to Kenny Mitchell, Service Engineer, who did a great job quickly attending to our shower and faucet issues. Kenny was also a super concierge for dinner suggestions in Ybor City. Thank you!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Barbara M
WestinTampaHarbour, Manager at The Westin Tampa Waterside, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Thank you for choosing the Westin Tampa Harbour Island Barbara M!
We are glad to hear that even though you had a few issues Kenny was able to exceed your expectations!
We hope to see you again on your next business trip to Tampa!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed overnight for a business meeting. Rooms bland and hotel feels worn. Bed was large and comfortable but the shower head leaked all over the place and caused a mess.

Food and staff were superb! Great view of the river if you can get a room with a view. You can have a great time anywhere, it is what you make of it. I would come back here but look for a deal on the room. Get a room with a harbor view if you can.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tim M
Thank you for sharing your experience with us Tim M,

The Westin would like to apologize for not demonstrating a typical relaxing and energizing environment during your most recent stay. The review is being shared with our entire executive committee in efforts to improve upon the services we provide. We are glad you enjoyed the Heavenly bed and our staff!

We hope to see you again!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We came to the hotel and had a smooth check in and check out at the end of our stay. The location for this hotel is easy access to everywhere you want to be. Downtown is walking distance, the stadium isn't far, the Brandon mall is only 18 min away, and the Tampa Int'l Airport is also only 15-20 min away. If you get the right room you have great views of the Harbour and the city lights at night. We had peace and quiet where we were and I felt very safe there. We were on the 19th floor and did not hear the noise of the music at the bar downstairs, or Jackson's the Restaurant/bar next door. We had dinner at the bar in the hotel one evening late, and the food was good as well as the service. There was a wedding party there that was very loud so we didn't talk much. lol We also had drinks at Jackson's with a great water view! One evening we took a walk over the bridge to the little tiki style bar across the way which was also on the water and a nice little place. The Hotel rooms are average, and the hotel needs some updated carpet in the halls up where the rooms are. The staff was really great! They were very professional, personable, and caring. They even gave us a voluntary discounted rate because we were there for 2 funerals, and a graduation. The valet staff were especially nice too, and had our car ready for us with a 5 min advance phone call from our room. Richie and Alex went out of there way to hold doors, be warm and friendly as well as cheerfully run back and forth to get our car several times over the weekend, or keep the car close and in the shade when we were coming right back. The Columbia Restaurant around the corner was a great layed back place to be on Sunday afternoon. We had lunch on the terrace where there was live acoustic music and a water view. Food was excellent if you like latin food!!! Music was so nice! Overall a really good experience! We would stay there again! Thank you!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Darla B
Greetings from the Westin Darla B!
Thank you for sharing the experience you had with us at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island! At the Westin guests are encouraged to take advantage of the relaxing and refreshing atmosphere. We are delighted to hear that during the nights you were with us you were left feeling well cared for by everyone you interacted with.
Thank for choosing the Westin Tampa Harbour Island!
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel over the weekend of 6/19-6/22/14.

My husband and I wanted a mini weekend getaway to the city of Tampa. We booked this room on Priceline. The Westin advertises their "Heavenly bed" and a relaxing, restful weekend, and that was our intention.

When we checked in, Mike N. helped us at the front desk, and informed us that we would not be charged for parking or internet service. We also received two free drink coupons. We were quite pleased with this, as it seems to be what they do for all of their guests. Nice little perk!

The lobby was lovely and comfy, recently updated. The hallways leading up to our room were definitely older and looked dirty. The hotel room (924) was perfectly fine. Clean, comfy, with a nice view of the harbor. The bathroom wasn't very exciting, but it was clean and suited our needs.

I'm currently pregnant, and therefore, exhausted much of the time. I fell asleep a little earlier than normal on the comfy "Heavenly bed". I woke up after about an hour (Around 10:30-11pm) to ruckus going on outside in the hallway, and a small dog barking in the next room. I tend to understand that when I'm staying in a hotel I may hear the occasional voice or door in the hallway and that doesn't bother me. However, this noise was excessive. There were people going in and out of their rooms every minute or so, running back and forth. People were shouting at each other down the halls.

My husband called the front desk and asked them to come and check on it, and they said they'd send security up. They came, but the noise didn't subside. It was just as loud and the people were being just as obnoxious as before we called. So my husband called again. And again. There was a woman walking up and down the halls singing to herself.

The security guard, Keith, was condescending to my husband the third time that he called. He said, "Sir, have you ever stayed in a hotel on the weekend?" He conveyed that this was the status quo. It's the weekend and people party it up. It was very rude. We stay in hotels on the weekends quite often, actually, and this was the worst I've ever dealt with. Although this hotel is near the Tampa Bay Times Forum and the Tampa Bay Convention Center, there were no events going on this weekend at either locale. There weren't even any weddings or large parties going on in the hotel during this time. And this is downtown, not the Ybor party district. I don't think we should be expected to just "deal with" obnoxious hotel guests.

My husband spoke with the night manager, Claudio, who agreed to move us to another floor. We were moved up to the 12th floor a little after midnight. Unfortunately, we packed up so quickly that we left our car keys in the room and it took a couple of days to get them back. An inconvenience that ended up costing us a couple of cab rides, but I guess we can't blame the hotel on that. Claudio did end up giving us complimentary breakfasts over the ordeal, which was much appreciated.

The 12th floor was much more quiet. There was a bit of rot on the exterior sliding glass doors, but other than that the room was clean and comfortable. We still had a nice view of the harbor.

The pool was clean and decent, except for the hotel guest who brought her dog into the pool, and was not stopped by hotel staff. Someone was smoking, despite the many "No Smoking" signs hung up around the pool. This person was also not stopped by staff. I was not thrilled with that. The pool itself was a bit small. It was fine for a slow day, but I think it would be way overcrowded during a busier weekend.

We ate breakfast on Sunday in the 725 restaurant. I like healthy food and I was happy with their selection of "superfoods" on the menu. I ordered the granola pancake and it was delicious. My husband ordered the breakfast buffet. For the price, he felt it to be a little lacking in options, but decent.

When we went to get our free drinks at the bar, I wanted a virgin drink because I'm pregnant. They had my husband's favorite beer, but no blender for a nice virgin pina colada or daiquiri. So I opted for a virgin bloody Mary. At first the bartender said that they couldn't do that because they were also out of mix, but then he found some tomato juice and was able to make me a yummy, slightly spicy virgin bloody Mary which I liked better than a mix anyway. I was just surprised at the lack of selection, especially on such a slow weekend. The bartender, Tony, was very friendly and outgoing, and we liked him a lot.

Overall I'd probably choose a different hotel if I took a trip to Tampa again, just because I was turned off by the attitude of the security guard that a loud, obnoxious atmosphere was the "status quo" for that hotel, and the little updates that need to be done around the hotel. If the price was super cheap and I needed a place that was really close to the Tampa Bay Times Forum and Convention Center, I'd probably be swayed to stay here again, as the rest of the staff was very friendly and customer-oriented.

Room Tip: Highest floori is much more quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Shannon K
Shannon,
Thank you for providing the collaboration of events that took place during your stay that demonstrated a less than adequate Westin Tampa Harbour Island experience. The personal interactions and connections we create with our guests should leave them feeling inspired and rejuvenated. We sincerely apologize for not allowing you to reach your potential during your stay and we would like the opportunity to speak with you.
The Westin Tampa Harbour looks forward to hearing from you soon!
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Lovely location, nice staff that's trying hard, potentially nice hotel BUT...there's so much "deferred maintenance" here. (Perhaps that's why it feels like a ghost hotel--there seem to be very few guests. Perhaps the LOUD disco downstairs scared them off?) I stayed here two years ago and had heard this property had been updated. Sadly, this isn't the case in the rooms. I refer you to the comments of LetsGoPronto, below, with which I completely agree. Westin is degrading the value of their service mark by allowing this lack-luster, scruffily property to represent their brand.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SacAnnie
WestinTampaHarbour, Manager at The Westin Tampa Waterside, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us SacAnnie,
The Westin like to apologize for not demonstrating a typical relaxing and energizing environment during your most recent stay. The review is being shared with our entire executive committee in efforts to improve upon the services we provide. While your stay did not reflect a positive one, we would like to encourage you to call and speak with us directly.
Thank you for choosing the Westin and we look forward to hearing from you soon!
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I was helped by Kim and Mike. They both were extremely helpful for all my needs. I couldn't have asked for better service. I felt comfortable and welcomed. The room was very clean and I slept like a baby. I had a wonderful stay at the Westin and I am definitely looking forward to staying there again.

Thank You for making my weekend enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marcelle S
Greetings from the Westin Tampa Harbour Island Marcelle S!
Thank you for sharing the experience you had with us at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island! At the Westin guests are encouraged to take advantage of the relaxing and refreshing atmosphere. We are delighted to hear that during the nights you were with us you were left feeling well cared for by everyone you interacted with especially Kim and Mike!
Thank for choosing the Westin Tampa Harbour Island!
Palm Bay, Florida, United States
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We were in town visiting family and stayed one night. We have been to Tampa many times but never stayed at Westin before. Great place and would definitely come back. We got a good room rate ($118), king bed with water view. All staff we encountered were great. We got there early around two but check in was no problem. Mike was very friendly and gave us an upgrade. Bar staff, valet and check out person were all excellent. I did think parking was expensive. $17 to park yourself and $20 if you want valet. We were on 12th floor and room was very clean, bed comfortable and nice view (saw cruise ship coming in early AM). Bar food and drinks a little high but most hotel bars are overpriced. All in all very happy with our stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sabrena L
Thank you Sabrena L for the wonderful comments!
The Westin Tampa Harbour Island takes pride in providing extraordinary services to our guests. From the moment you walk through the front door until the time you depart it is our goal to have you feeling better than you did when you arrived! We are happy to hear that Mike and the rest of the staff took such great care of you! It was truly a pleasure to have you with us and we hope to see you again in the future!