“bed bugs?”

Ramada Westshore Tampa Airport
Ranked #110 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
“bed bugs?”
Reviewed 23 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel in room 250 for one night before flying home to Portland. We slept in separate double beds. The sheets looked and felt rumpled. The next morning he felt scratchy here and there but did not pay much attention as it was very early and we were focused on getting to the airport. The itching got worse as the day wore on. By the time we got home and we examined him, his legs, waist and arms were covered with numerous red dots. We did some research on the internet and determined that the bites were from bed bugs. I was for some reason spared. We read on the internet that some people are not affected by bed bug bites while others have severe reactions.
We notified the hotel and were brusquely handed to the general manager, who, after a couple of hours, sent us a "report" from a pest company that said it did an "inspection" of the room and found no bed bugs. The manager insisted that my husband must have "caught" the bugs on the airplane. Comment on our experience?

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PBlossom
BobFalk, General Manager at Ramada Westshore Tampa Airport, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Immedfiately upon being notified of the complaint we summond ECOLAB pest control to the hotel. The professional exterminator went to the room and found NO evidence of any insects whatsoever.
We spend a great deal of money each year insuring that we do not have any pests or any type of insects in our hotel, and to totally blame the hotel is not fair.
We did send the official copy of the testing from ECOLAB to you to assure you that if there were bug bites, they were not contacted at our hotel.

Bob Falk
GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Staff was very friendly, helpful, and efficient. Shuttle from airport came quickly and driver was very professional. Based on check-in I had high hopes, then I got to the room. Room is basic and in desperate need of updating. This I could get past, the bathroom was a different story. I'm not sure it had actually been cleaned since last guest. Walls are dirty and plaster chunks falling out, hair in shower, lots of built up dust, grime on all surfaces. It felt totally unclean and disgusting. TV reception was awful, could not really see picture but could hear sound. I would not recommend this hotel or stay here again myself.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank JSB621
Erie
Reviewed 17 January 2012

This hotel is rated a 3 star hotel but it lacked a lot from the 3 1/2 star we stayed at last year. The 3 1/2 star we stayed at last year is located down the street from the 3 star we stayed at this year, but the 3 1/2 star had great rooms and overall lived up to be a 3 1/2 star. Me and my family stayed at the Ramada for 5 days before our carnival cruise sailed. We got one bedroom for four people. The place overall was okay. Pros: Water heating and pressure are great, room service is good(they make sure your room is clean everyday), deliver big mini fridge if requested, the pool is nice, location is convenient, and breakfast ample. Cons: TV is outdated and has some fuzzy channels, beds are extremely small(they said can have two people in it but it should only be one), elevator sounds like you're going to fall at any minute, towels are rough and tiny, toilet flushes extremely slow, and the fitness room is pathetic.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Hobe Sound, Florida
Reviewed 13 January 2012

I was happily surprised to find this hotel exceptionally clean. The people were very nice and when we got into the room it was set up as if it was a $200 per night hotel instead of under $100. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone in the Tampa area.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank gregory1984
Ashland, Kentucky
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I recently spent 5 nights at this hotel before and after a Carnival Cruise. I found this hotel to be very clean and comfortable. The staff was very nice and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Tampa.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank danpremier
Florida
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We have stayed here twice because we were leaving for more than a week and needed to spend the night due to an early flight out of Tampa. We like the location and the option to leave our car. The package is $89.00 and will allow you to leave your vehicle for two weeks. Do the math and you will see that it is far less than using the economy parking at the airport or any of the places nearby. There is security in the parking lot from 11PMto 7am.We have been on the 2nd floor each time and our room has been very spacious, clean and adequate. The renovation is ongoing and there are still some signs of 'gentle use' in the bathrooms. I noticed some chips in the tile but that is a minimal complaint. We choose to eat at the Hurrican Grille which is on the property. As soon as we arrived, the lights went out due to an accident that hit the transformer for the whole block. We went back about 30 minutes later and all was fine. We had a light meal of an appetizer and salads. It was fine but somewhat pricey for a grille.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MimiDL06
indonesia
Reviewed 14 December 2011

My door's key card unit was in such poor shape, it usually took about 15 to 20 attempts each time before it finally unlocked the door. They are slowly renovating and maybe they'll get to this one eventually. Slow elevators and filthy laundry area did nothing to enhance my stay.

The maids did not vacuum the floor during my stay. One time one of them used a broom - on carpet, yet - which actually worked for her; and the other didn't do a thing for the floor and left it littered with small scraps of stuff that a vac would have picked up.

That said, there were Pro's. Large unheated pool is adequate for lap swimming and there's a tiny fitness room adjacent. Large mall with multiplex cinemas is a 5 minute walk away.

My room was large, I had a good bed, and because of my extended stay, I was offered a microwave and fridge, which arrived soon after check-in and were given me at no added charge.

There was a very secure safe in the room , the water was very hot, and the heating and air con (had to use BOTH during my stay) worked well.

Motel style, free continental breakfast is barely adequate, but there's a Waffle House just down the street (10 min walk, 2 minute drive), Starbucks nearly next door, and a 24 hour IHOP fifteen minutes walk in the other direction from the Waffle House. Except for La Quinta, this is the cheapest lodging so close to the airport. It's in a safe neighborhood surrounded by far more expensive hotels, office buildings. There's a 24 hour Walgreens drug store 12 mins walk down the street past the mall. With the free wifi, proximity of the late-night, 7 days per week US Post Office at the airport, this ended up being an excellent place to get some business done.

The free airport shuttle (earliest one is 5:05 am, latest to leave the hotel is at about midnight, I think) is fantastic and makes this an excellent place to stay for a transit stay.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business