“Very Good Motel Near Airport”

La Quinta Inn Tampa Bay Airport
Ranked #77 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 19 October 2010

Stayed at this location Oct. 15-18th for step daughters wedding. Pretty nice. Room was VERY clean. Bed linens were changed EVERY morning. We were given a choice of just having the beds made or clean linens every day. Beds were doubles and very comfortable. Three pillows on both beds. Bathroom was VERY clean, see photo. Fresh towels daily. Plenty of room for 2 people, but would be squishy with more than 2. Plenty of counter space by sink. see pic. One big dresser in main room with four large drawers. One standard night table. Plenty of lamps. Clock radio on night stand with alarm. Free TV wasn't too good, see pic, but we used it for weather reports.Air conditioner was quiet and worked great. Great blackout shades. Nice clean textured carpeting. Paintings on wall were nice too. Table to eat quick meals with 2 chairs, 4 cup coffee pot with throwaway cups. Creamer provided and sugar/sweet and low. Free breakfast was OK. Plenty of apples and oranges. Yogurt, banana nut and chocolate chip muffins, waffles, cold cereals, jellies, syrup, cream cheese, bagels, orange juice, apple juice, Bagels and muffins are packaged. Good. Maxwell house coffee, decaf or regular. Ice machine with a bucket in the room. Soda, bottled water, chip machines outside took only coins, but soda machine in main office took bills. Hotel staff was helpful. IHOP next door was great. No driving. BTW, kids eat free from 4PM to 10PM. IHOP has take out too. Outside the hotel was clean too. Could hear planes, but not too loud. Very happy with our stay. NO BUGS. which is amazing for Florida. We got about 6 different menus from area pizza places under the door.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 August 2010

We were originally supposed to fly out of SRQ on a Tuesday but due to issues with JetBlue we ended up changing our flight to leave from Tampa the next morning. We decided to turn the situation positive for our young kids by staying in a hotel the night before (the kids love the whole hotel experience) and chose LaQuinta because they offered a park & fly rate, and we figured it would be better than parking in long term at TPA.
Check-in at 7pm on July 14th was OK although the clerk had a bit of a superiority complex. He barked ordersat me, rather than acting like a receptionist; being pleasant and giving us information. The room was almost directly behind the lobby, which was convenient for the luggage the next morning, and the room was clean and adequate with free wi-fi. The pool was warm but rather dirty. Checkout the next morning was quick and efficient. Their complimentary breakfast was barely adequate; toaster didn't work well, no low-calorie or lowfat options; either toast or sugary pastries. The only good thing was the coffee, which was very good. We took a shuttle to the airport for our flight and the driver was very pleasant.

The shuttle when we returned took about 30 minutes; the shuttle service is shared with other properties. The driver this time was very nice too. My son left his backpack (full of stuffed animals) on his seat and we didn't notice until we got home 2 hours later. I called the hotel, and spoke with someone regarding shipping it back, and she acted as if she'd never had a guest leave an item behind before. I find this hard to believe; I work in a hotel executive office, and I ship at least 2 items per week to guests! I was told to call back, and when I did, I was told that I would have to call UPS myself and schedule a pickup. At this point I asked for the General Manager, and after 3-4 minutes the same clerk came back on the line and said "um, he said we can ship it to you." The only option she would consider was for me to pay with the same credit card I used for my hotel stay, which I had to argue with her about because I have a UPS account and asked her to use that. Finally she said OK and hung up. An hour or so later she called me back to get my address. I didn't think this was going to go well. We received the backpack a few days later and when I got the bill from UPS it was for OVER ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS! I can't believe the staff at this hotel are so inexperienced with something as basic as shipping a package! Fortunately when I explained to UPS that this was a ground shipment of a boy's backpack filled with stuffed animals, they agreed to adjust the charge. What a headache.

Anyway, the hotel itself is fine for a park and fly, but be warned: make sure you don't leave anything behind at this property!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Read the negative reviews, almost did not stay here. I needed a hotel near the airport and the Marriott in the terminal was way too pricey. Specifically looked for the negatives, did not find them. I idid note that some bad reviews were 3 yrs old. I agree w another reviewer, it depends when u stay and what room u r in. It was virtually deserted when I stayed here,in rooms 111/112 on 7/13/10. That may have be 1 reason that hings went so well.I do agree they lack some other things u find at other lQ hotels, ie jacuzzzi, etc.

It is 2 miles from terminal door to motel, I clocked the drive, it was 5 minutes.
They have a shuttle at no extra charge. Called it from the phone in baggage claim. It was prompt, but hard to id since it had another hotel's logo. A 3rd party called Veterans operates it. Book your return trip in advance,it does not run from 1245 am to 445 am, it runs from the motel 1x an hr at 45 mins past the hr. If u drive, follow the exit sign to Spruce St. if u use a cab, it shouldn't cost much, only a 2 mile ride. HART (Tampa bus system) runs a limited stop bus to downtown , from there u can connect to other bused/trolleys . It is line 30. Another review said u can catch it by the hotel. I saw it running past the hotel, but don't know where it stops.
There is a shuttle to the cruise ship, it is $10 pp each way. A cab might be a better deal is u have more than 2 people.
Was concenered about noise since it borders the airport. No significant noise from the planes (they do not fly overhead) Not much noise from the street either. None of the rooms face the st. This is a MOTEL w 2 2 story bldgs. I would say it had 125 rooms.They have open corridors and no elevator. On the rt side there is a 24 hr IHOP restaurant and an Enterprise rent a car that operates limited hrs. The pool is on the rt side of the motel too. The rear and left side of the motel face empty lots. The left side is quieter.
No concerns about safety in/ around the property.
Place was clean inside /out. Carefully checked the sheets, no stains. If u care about thrread count, you will be disappointed. Despite this, beds were comfortable.
Rooms was about 250 sq feet, excluding bathroom. Bathroom ( w toilet and tub/shower combo) and vanity area were separate.
AC unit was very efficent/ relatively quiet, room temp was comfortable. Did not use the heater. Plumbing worked well.
Room included hairdryer, iron, board, clock radio, coffee maker, phone w v mail, there is no charge for local calls , internet access, but u need your own computer. TV had good channel selection, games are not free. No fridge or microwave
No charge to park , it is an outdoor lot.
I think they allow pets.
looks like it is non smoking, did not smell a trace of smoke anywhere.
Heated pool was big enough to do laps , it was so clean it sparkled.
No gym/ jacuzzi.
No gift shop, self serve laundry , business ctr, free newspaper or common use computer in lobby. They will print u a boarding pass at the desk.
There are ice/ vending machines ( close to rooms, but not located where they will keep u awake) No charge for the self serve continental breakfast, it was basic , but satisfying.
No concierge , but they did have a rack w maps/ coupons of various attractions.No public transit info. Hotel did call me when I got home and told me they are putting transit info in the lobby. Ask the maids in any hotel about local bus service, they ride the bus.

Staff was ok, check in/ out was a breeze.

24 hr IHOP next door has diverse menu that has more than just pancakes ( even has healthy fare) kid/ senior friendly, good service, fair prices.
Ruth Chris around the corner and a HUGE mall ( International Place) is at a diagonal angle across the street. Lots of eating options, this mall looks upscale. Drive a few blocks in any direction , lots of eating shopping options.
Raymond James Stadium ( Tampa Bay Bucs NFL team ) and Steinbrenner Field aka Legends are across from each other about 2or 3 miles away. U can see NY Yankees spring training games , Tampa Yankees minor league games in a minaturized Yankee Stadium. Parking is free, tickets/ concession prices are low and there are lots of fun promotions. Very family freiendly. Tampa Bay Rowdies soccer plays there too.
Drive 5 to 7 miles or take line 30 on Hart to be in downtown or Old Town ( Eybor) or at the big arena where the NHL TB lIghtning play.Busch is about 8 miles away, there is another La Quinta closer to Busch.

It is ez to get to the freeways.

Paid low room rate w AA discount. Join reward club at no charge and u can accumulate points for free stays at any of their locations.
The credit card gives u points for your purchases, but they sneaked some charges on my bill for credit protection that they say I authorized on the phone. No way, I hang up on telemarketers. I think there is a class action suit brewing over this. Buyer beware on the credit card. Audit your bill carefully if u get a card.
I was surprised that this was so close to Tampa and that there was an express bus going from the airport to downtown. It then connects u to buses and trolleys. Usually hotels that are near the airport and the city center are mutally exclusive. Not in this case, it is not just an airport hotel .

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank ibbyCalif
Reviewed 20 July 2010

The staff is really nice and the shuttle drive amazing. But, I took a short nap and awoke with 20 bed bugs on my arm. I've never seen bed in my life. These were very flat and obviously very hungry. In one hour I had 20 bugs on me, what if I had slept all night, I can't even imagine how many bugs would have been on my body.

I recommend you stay at the Extended Stay Deluxe Inn around the corner. The staff isn't that freinds at the Extended Inn... but, the place is clean.

Luv

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank effortlesstraveler
Reviewed 3 July 2010

This is not what I would expect from LaQuinta. The property is an old motel with VERY THIN walls - I heard every word from the room next door including the TV - as well as road noise from the busy road out front. Wouldn't suggest walking on the carpet in bare feet - and the dresser had visible water damage across the lower third as if it had been in a flood. The only positive is that it's close to the airport and it's cheap. So stay here if you don't care about getting a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2010

We live in Gainesville Fl and needed to catch an early morning flight out of Tampa. This hotel suited our needs perfectly. It's not fancy but is clean and has all the little amenities you'd want - hair dryer, frig and microwave. It's conveniently located to restaurants, malls and the airport. My daughter and her fiance stayed in one room and my husband and I stayed in another. We were both very satisfied.

The desk clerk was very pleasant and helpful. In the morning they have a small but nice breakfast with several cereals, yogurt, waffles, bagels, muffins, hard boiled eggs, fruit and coffee. They also have an IHOP just next door.

The next time I fly out of Tampa, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2010

Arrived at 11.30 PM, much later than anticipated, left our Hotel in London at 6AM, GMT so the 24 Hour mark was looming , and we were ready for bed.
So to be able to see the La Quinta sign when arriving to collect the hire car was such a boost.
There was no parking at the hotel, but the very helpful guy on reception allowed me to park up at the entrance. He also kindly gave out free bottles of water when I asked for change for the vending machine.
I have stayed in better rooms, but it was Ok , and quite clean. The beds were surprisingly very comfortable
Breakfast was nothing special, but it was free,
Great position to visit International Mall with some excelent shops inc. Abercrombie and Fitch.
Perhaps the best thing was that I only paid £26 via last minute.com!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family