“This place is in bad condition...”

Hyatt Place Tampa Airport/Westshore
Ranked #19 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Stayed here for a one day layover on a business trip. In general, the hotel is run down and dirty. Everywhere you look... it needs to be painted, cleaned or replaced. The chairs in the lobby are worn through. The walls in hallways are dirty and need to be repainted or papered or at the very least cleaned. There was a strong musty smell in my room, couldn't get rid of it by turning up the a/c. The sink faucet leaked... drip,drip, drip, drip... all night long. Stains on the carpet. Bed sheet worn. I travel on a regular basis and typically stay at this level of hotel, this is offically the worst I've stayed at. I found myself walking through the hotel talking to myself about all the dirty, damaged and worn fixtures that shouldn't be in a hotel like this.

The front desk staff were very helpful and efficient, the one positive from my stay. The location is good if you are using the airport.

I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 November 2011

This place is just amazing. A free apple on the way in gives me a yes. It has a great view of the city and a very nice fancy looking room. Sleeping there was so comfortable I didn’t want to leave. I wanted to live there because it was so good. The food they served at their restaurant was delicious and the employees were very nice and interesting to speak with. They messed up on my order so they gave me the food free along with free dessert for my sister and I along with a free drink for me. To bad I only spent two nights here. If I ever go to Tampa I’ll most likely come here.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Stayed here for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs. New Orleans Saints football game on the weekend of Oct 15-16, 2011. Arrived around 4pm and checked in without issue. Traveling with 9 adults, we reserved three rooms. The rooms for the adults in room # 1 and #3 were adequate but room #2 had a funny odor. The adults staying in room #2 requested to be moved to another room and the staff quickly accommodated us. The staff were friendly and helpful as we asked for dining suggestion. Continental Breakfast was available each morning providing the usual choice of muffins, bagels, mixed fruit and dried cereals. The quarters in the dining area were a little close but manageable. The hotel offered snacks and drinks at the front desk/bar.

The location of the hotel is very close and convenient to Tampa International Airport and the local area Mall. The location is also very convenient to many good places to dine including Lee Roy Selmons Sports bar. And last, it's only minutes from the Raymond James Stadium, home of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

I would note, that my only complaints would be that the two elevators were a little slow and the ice machines on other floors were not in working order as other guests came to our floor (5th of 6 floors) to stock up on ice. All in all a good experience. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I have stayed at other Hyatt Places, and I have to say that this one came in sub par. The staff was fine, but the facilities were in a state of disrepair. The place definitely needs a better crew to keep things fresh. Also, our room was not as clean as I would have liked -- noted toothpaste on the bathroom sink faucet and random hairs in the bathroom. The tub also didn't drain properly, which was not cool. Moreover, I asked for a king room and received a 2 double bed room, which wasn't a huge deal. I should have paid better attention to the reviews on TA because I don't think I would have booked a room here even though it was for one night.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank njpmg
Reviewed 14 September 2011

What is most important to the business traveler is consistancy. This Hyatt is typical in that there were no surprises. The parking is adjacent and there are plenty of spots. When checking in, the hotel staff is very friendy and always offers to show you the lobby and breakfast area. I asked for a quiet room and they were able to give me a top floor corner room.The room was clean and properly serviced. I like these rooms because there is plenty of space and a dedicated desk for working. The 42" HDTV swivels between the large sofa area and the partitioned bed area, but is not viewable from the desk area. There is also a separare sink, coffee service and refrigerator behind the desk. The hotel offers wireless room connections at no charge for the first 24 hours. The hotel is also very convenient to the airport and Westshore business district. There are many name brand restaurants within a mile of the hotel. The room rate was reasonable for the area and services provided, averaging $124.00 per night

Room Tip: All rooms are similar, but a higher floor is desirable.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We've been to other Hyatt Place hotels and for sure this one is the worst ever. Although it has a lobby and rooms looking like the same as the others in photos the bathtub faucets are kind of falling down and the overall impression is of dirty and oldness.Dust everywhere and we leave the hotel next morning though we have reservations for two days.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank M Elvira S
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I just finished my fourth stay in about 12 months at this property and again was as pleased as my first stay. I wrote a glowing review of the place then, rating them high in all categories.
This time staff came through when I needed them. The day I was to drive to Tampa, after staying several days at the beach, Danny helped me recover from a booking error. Over the phone he corrected our reservation, and we were able to arrive that afternoon.
We used the complimentary shuttle that night to go to a restaurant, enjoyed our comfortable room to catch up on some TV and used the compact workout facilities--just what we needed to relax. One of my favorite touches this hotel offers is complimentary chilled bottles of water on the shuttle ride from the airport. The staff here care and it shows. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family