“Good Hotel but poorly trained staff!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Courtyard Tampa North/I-75 Fletcher
Ranked #47 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orlando, Florida
“Good Hotel but poorly trained staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

I just recently stayed here at this hotel and I thought the property itself was great and newly refreshed. Clean newly renovated rooms, hallways and lobby. Great Beds and bedding!
Everything in the room was great and I highly enjoyed it!
However checkout was not that great!

I checked in with my Amex CREDIT card for both of my rooms that I had. I reserved with it and they swiped it when I checked in. I do this whenever I stay at a hotel.
When I checked out, I asked the desk clerk to please split my bill in half with mine and my friend's debit cards.. I have never had a problem doing this.. So the desk clerk which was clearly in training asked his supervisor for help before he did anything with our cards and without even asking the desk clerk what I had asked for, she just said hit "F7" which is what you press to authorize the credit card! So NOW after I checked-out they over-authorized my debit card because they put the whole amount on mine!
I wanted my bill split between two cards and that is something VERY simple and I have never had a problem doing when I stay at a hotel?
The reason I use my debit card to check out is because it over-authorizes if you use it when you check-in.. What really annoyed me is that the supervisor said I should have never you used a debit card when I checked in, when I clearly didn't since the desk clerk swiped over my American Express with my debit card when he was checking me out.. and that is something that any manager or any desk agent can see if they go through the change history of my reservation.

I never like to complain about anything when I stay at a hotel because I have been working in the industry for five years and I understand mistakes happen, but for someone to tell me I did something I didn't do and they can even see is just not right!!

Other than that issue, everything else what great. I really enjoyed the hotel and think the property is great!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CourtyardTampaNorth, Manager at Courtyard Tampa North/I-75 Fletcher, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Thank you for your review. We sincerly apologize for the issue with splitting payment between two credit cards at checkout. We will make sure to review and retrain all assocaites so this does not happen to future guest. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future. Thank you again for for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Tampa North. We truly appreciate your business.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Abingdon, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Stayed here for three days on a visit with family. Best place we have stayed in for a long time.
Rooms are very functional, large, new and clean. Price includes a good hot breakfast. Staff
was excellent. Definitely will stay here with future visits to this area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear you were satisfied with your stay and the ammenties the hotel has to offer. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future. Thank you again for for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Tampa North. We truly appreciate your business.
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Service was great from the moment I checked in early. Betty and Amanda worked tirelessly to meet all of our needs including helping scheduling the conference room for us for an unexpected last minute business meeting. They even brewed us coffee when the Starbucks station was closed during midday. Thanks to the Courtyard for making our work week a success!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CourtyardTampaNorth, Manager at Courtyard Tampa North/I-75 Fletcher, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
We appreciate your feedback and are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found Betty and Amanda to be courteous and helpful. I will let Betty and Amanda know how pleased you were with her service and friendly demeanor. We pride ourselves on guest satisfaction and strive to ensure every guest leaves satisfied. Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Tampa North. We truly appreciate your business.
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

Hello my name is Jerome Hall. She was very helpful during my checkin. Her hospitality was outstanding to say the least. Her mannerism was very genuine and kind. It made me feel welcomed to be guest at the Marriott. My next trip to Tampa, I will definitely consider to stay here again.

v/r
Jerome

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CourtyardTampaNorth, Manager at Courtyard Tampa North/I-75 Fletcher, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
We appreciate your feedback and are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found Betty to be courteous and helpful. I will let Betty know how pleased you were with her service and friendly demeanor. We pride ourselves on guest satisfaction and strive to ensure every guest leaves satisfied. Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Tampa North. We truly appreciate your business.
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

We were recently in Tampa as a family gathering to support one who was just diagnosed with cancer. This hotel allowed us to hang out at night to unwind and relax (guests and non-guests), having a few drinks, ordering food in. with out this "downtime" we would have been lost. The ladies had a "slumber party" in the hotel room and they didn't mind - even bringing in an extra rollaway bed to accomodate us. Betty at the front desk was the BOMB!!! Thank you All.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CourtyardTampaNorth, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa North/I-75 Fletcher, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
We appreciate your feedback and are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be courteous and helpful. I will let Betty know how pleased you were with her service and friendly demeanor. We pride ourselves on guest satisfaction and strive to ensure every guest leaves satisfied. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

As someone who travels a great deal, and who as Marriott Rewards member always tries to stay at Marriott hotels, I was blown away by the kindness of the staff. Add to that I am doing customer service training for a Fortune 100 client in the area then it might be safe to say that I am difficult to please. But the staff here did not disappoint. I would be remiss if I did not give a shout-out to Betty at the front desk who took care of me graciously and enthusiastically two weeks in a row after I arrived at 10:30 AM in the morning weary from my early-morning travels. Everyone I met greeted me with a smile and kind word and the property itself was great. Have already booked there for two more trips this month.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kathy1126
We appreciate your feedback and are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be courteous and helpful. I will let Betty and the rest of the staff now how pleased you were with their service and friendly demeanor. We pride ourselves on guest satisfaction and strive to ensure every guest leaves satisfied. Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Tampa North. We truly appreciate your business.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Very clean, friendly property close to USF, MOSI, Busch Gardens. Rooms were very nice, comfy beds, quiet. Staff was super friendly and helpful. Bistro is an added plus, with snacks and meals for all times of day and evening, including wine and beer. Nice pool area, very clean and well maintained, great for a quick dip or a little sun. Would recommend highly - easy off/on to Interstate 75, and walking distance to some fast food/coffee shop.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CourtyardTampaNorth, Manager at Courtyard Tampa North/I-75 Fletcher, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tampa
Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North
Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North
#1 of 5 in Temple Terrace
TownePlace Suites Tampa North/I-75 Fletcher
Residence Inn Tampa North/I-75 Fletcher
Holiday Inn Express Tampa North - Telecom Park
Fairfield Inn & Suites Tampa North
Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa - North

Been to Courtyard Tampa North/I-75 Fletcher? Share your experiences!