“Surprisingly Good for a Quick Weekend Get-Away”

The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa
Ranked #35 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 June 2011

This was a pre-planned weekend get-away w/a special weekend getaway rate. We were pleasantly surprised at the free parking. Check-in staff were friendly, professional, and courteous. The view from our upper floor, bayside room was spectacular. The room itself was very clean and comfortable. Plenty of well-located outlets for our cellphones & laptops was an extra-nice added touch. We were glad for the included room safe - something I always look for and appreciate.

Concierge service is available, but we struck out on our own. We headed south across the Sunshine Skyway bridge for dinner on Anna Maria Island with a wonderful, sunset view of the Sunshine Skyway bridge itself. The night time view from our room upon return was beautiful looking across the bay.

The housekeeping service was immaculate, complete with turndown service & chocolates. In fact, housekeeping didn't mind our do not disturb sign the next morning, and just as unobtrusively took care of our room when we changed our sign to 'please service our room'.

The front desk staff were responsive, professional and followed up on questions. The hotel is centrally located just off of I-275 just across the bay from St. Petersburg and Clearwater, also fairly close to the airport, which surprised us as it was quiet. We breakfasted in Clearwater Beach, explored Ybor City and had dinner at Pane Rustica in town just down the street from our hotel. We highly recommend all of them. Getting around was a breeze. Our only disappointment was the rooftop pool: no shade, 1 umbrella & table always in use. A few more tables, chairs, umbrellas, a few palms and even a rooftop bar with shade would go a long ways to improving the space over the blinding white concrete there now.

The beds were extremely comfortable and the rooms well laid out. Wifi signal was excellent, with plenty of routers to connect to. The hotel bar service was very good and bar staff friendly. There always seemed to be an interesting mix of people in the lobby lounges and we met several nice couples also there for the weekend. Close to Ybor City, Downtown, The Pier, St. Pete & Clearwater Beaches and everything that the Tampa Bay area has to offer, all in all a good choice for either professional or personal travel.

Room Tip: Lunch or Dinner at Pane Rustica, Ybor, or the Pier
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zen_journeyman
Write a ReviewReviews (1,544)

Reviewed 24 June 2011

I've stayed at this hotel before and loved it. However I've never stayed in the summer. As an ambassador member I was upgraded to a suite but shocked at the room temperature. The hotel has floor to ceiling windows causing the rooms to bake. I was shown 5 different rooms all of which were extremely hot. The A/C does blow cold air but it can't cool the room down. The hotel would not let me check out without incurring a one night penality. They did give me a $50 credit towards Shula's steakhouse, which was $8 more than the cheapest steak! Housekeeping brought a fan 4 hours after requesting. The bed's do not need comforters or even a top sheet because it is too hot! I checked out after one night and cancelled all future reservations. The bellhop and the maintenance man told me many customers complain about the hot rooms in the summer. Management is obviously aware but don't care. I should of known something was up because I only paid $104/night.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank fdipace
Reviewed 19 June 2011

I travel to Tampa frequently on business. While I'd prefer to stay at one of the hotels in the Harbourview area, I've never found a satisfactory one (the Marriott is fine, but is difficult to book on short notice). On the past few trips, I've stayed at the Intercontinental. I'm not a fan of its location -- not a walkable neighborhood, and the views are disappointing -- but it's easily accessible to/from the airport. More important, it is the best of the Tampa hotels I've encountered thus far. The rooms are clean and well-furnished, breakfast and room service are decent, the staff is helpful, and the coffee is outstanding (they sell Illly in the lobby and restaurant).

Room Tip: avoid rooms near the elevators and ice machines
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This hotel is exemplary, very clean, and excellent condition, plus in a great location. The check-in service could have been more friendlier but beyond that, we had a great time in our two-night stay there. The bar was great/fun and the best part was Shula's Steakhouse. The food was 5-star quality as was the service! We look forward to coming back soon!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gwopilot
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This is a business hotel, apparently, but our stay was during the Memorial Day weekend.
The service was excellent, the front desk more than accommodating and pleasant, and the help was very friendly.
The maids seemed to be a bit slow in cleaning the room, but we should have been out and about in the afternoon.
Don Shula's Steakhouse is located on the first floor; there is a mall directly across the street and the Tampa International Airport is about 5 minutes away.
Tastefully designed, the only minor complaint is that the air conditioning seemed not to cool off enough for me.

Room Tip: Book through Expedia
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. Room was very clean, roomy, with upscale furnishings
and luxury bedding. The hotel restaurant is too pricey for us but we found many great choices in
nearby malls where we shopped. Very close proximity to huge mall. I would mention two drawbacks
for this location. Heavy traffic, pattern is one-way and took several times around hotel to figure out entrance and parking. Valet parking is $18 but self parking is available in garage which has very low clearance and tight spaces. Only small vehicles should park here. A few spaces are available outside
the garage for large vehicles. Staff was pleasant. Maid failed to replenish coffee supplies on second day but when we called house keeping it was quickly taken care of. No free breakfast here. Does have In-room fridge and well stocked, expensive mini bar.

Room Tip: We used booking site and got a great deal.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2011

The hotel was not like any other intercontinental that I have stayed at before. The sheets had holes in them, a piece of the chair was broken off, and it smelt like cigarette smoke. It is in an office building in an area with nothing really to do.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends