“Nice hotel, but aircon' an issue.”

The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa
Ranked #36 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Ten minutes from airport, but not noisy. Handy for West Shore Mall, just over the busy Kennedy Boulevard. (Same as all the other malls in the USA). Comfortable room with high quality bed. Flatscreen TV, which is nice to see. Three of us there on business found the air-conditioning to be "freeze or off" or somewhat stuffy.

Friendly staff at open plan bar, but no draft beer. Shame. 'Shula's' restaurant doesn't disappoint with good steaks. Buffet breakfast had an impressive array of fruit but the 'hot' choice was limited - no beans, beef hash, mushrooms, tomatoes. But a good supply of smoked salmon with garnishes.

When trying to sleep, maid ignored "Do Not Disturb" sign on bedroom door. Suggested the sign be printed in Spanish!

Small outdoor pool on 9th floor proves popular with staying air crew.

Room Tip: Quietest rooms face courtyard.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed here for the Jimmy Buffett concert March 30th and so did Jimmy!!! This is a nice hotel and close to Airport and St Pete. We purchased thru priceline and were given a sub standard room with ice machine condenser in ceiling of room making a very loud noise !! We called and were given a nice quiet clean room. The hotel is very modern and beautiful with nice staff and free parking.

Room Tip: Ask for another room if you are not happy, The staff switched us to another with prompness and court...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We spent two nights in the Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg area. I had researched hotels and the least expensive ones that were 2 or 3 stars ranging in price from $50-100+ per night were often not in a good area, were rundown or way out from the main areas of town. The three star hotels run from $100-up with four stars starting around $150 and up (and more depending on time of year). I needed two rooms for two nights and didn't want to spend a fortune, but prices for the areas I wanted would have been $150 and up per room per night for a 2-1/2 or 3 star hotel.
I then tried Priceline and searched for a few areas of St. Petersburg at $55-$60 for 3 star or up - Nothing. I then tried an area of Tampa, same info and nothing. I tried around the airport near the bay for slightly more...and I got the Intercontinental Tampa. The lowest rate I had found if I booked with any online site including the hotel's own site, was $169/night per room. Had I paid that amount, I probably would have rated the hotel a bit lower, but for less than half that, it was quite impressive.
The hotel is part of an office building complex and there are offices on either side with an open covered atrium on either side of the hotel, which has 11 floors. We were on the 10th floor and had a great view of...the offices in the next building. You could sort of see the bay in the distance, but this is not a hotel to get if you want great views from your room. HOWEVER - there is a open-air swimming pool on the 9th floor. The Pool area is simple and plain, with lounge chairs, bathrooms and towels, but the view is wonderful.
ALSO, even though the hotel is non-smoking, the pool area is not, so you can smoke at the pool area. Two of our party were smokers and I'd tried getting a hotel that allows smoking which usually are more expensive, and Priceline doesn't let you choose a smoking option. They usually have to go downstairs and outside a hotel to smoke, or if we're lucky enough to get an outdoor balcony with the room (No balconies on this hotel), but the pool area was convenient, quick trip on the elevator, about 100 feet to the pool area and have a cigarette.
The rooms are fairly modern with 32" flat screen TV, coffee maker, fridge stocked with drinks and snacks at the usual high markup.
Because we booked with Priceline, the type of room (one king bed, two doubles, etc) were up to the hotel. However, if you call the hotel directly after you book, you can often reserve a specific room/bed type for an extra $20 per room (that's per stay, not per night, so even if you stay multiple nights just a one-time fee). At the price we paid, any extras wouldn't be that big a deal, BUT BEWARE as this hotel can nickel-and-dime you. Examples:
Valet Parking for guests is $18 per day with unlimited in and out, BUT you can self-park in the garage behind the hotel for free. The elevator in the center of the garage leads to the back of the lobby of the hotel. Ask for the directions to the self-parking entrance.
Internet is $12.95/day for 24 hours of use. I had seen that and didn't bother bringing my computer because it was a short trip. At a time when many hotels give free wireless access, and considering the regular rates of $150+ per night, this seems high. There is a free "business center" off the lobby that has 3 computers and a printer plus a connection for your laptop (not sure if you have to pay for that, looked like a modem connection), but the computer internet connections were slow and occasionally dropped completely for a minute or two. Good for printing up boarding passes or checking email, but don't expect to do much heavy-duty work on these.
Beware of using the hotel phone, charges apply, see the rate information in the room.

We had a couple of problems with one room, such as bathtub wouldn't drain, but the staff was responsive and quickly resolved our issues. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly. There is a small snack bar for pastries, smoothies, sodas and such just off the lobby that is open through the afternoon. There's also a bar off the lobby and a Shula's Steakhouse which is an expensive but good chain of steakhouses. There are a number of comfortable seating areas in the lobby area looking into the atriums.

The beds are VERY high, even at 6'1 I had to "jump" a bit to get on the bed. I requested non-feather hypo-allergenic pillows and they were in the room when I arrived. They even put the feather pillows in a special case in the closet. Bathroom is modern and simple but clean with usual amenities.

Overall, I don't know if I'd say this was a 4-star hotel but definitely at least a high 3-star. Location near major highways and the Tampa airport means you can get most anywhere in Tampa or St. Petersburg within 30 minutes by car (except at rush hours). If you can get a good discount on the price, it's a great value.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Spent a week here on business and was pretty satisfied with the stay. Certainly compared to other Intercontinentals around the globe, this property isn't that impressive. But with great rates and very nice rooms, I was mostly happy with the place.

It is true that the design of this hotel is different from the average with all glass windows as exterior walls, but I didn't find it bad looking at all. I actually kind of like how it looks. And the lobby, halls, rooms, and all spaces were very modern and new looking. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was small but nice.

I really liked the gym and also the pool on the roof. It is a rather small pool, but I thought it was nice. The whole staff was polite and professional. I had an issue and the manager quickly took care of it for me. The self park garage is a little bit of a pain to get to and from, but at least it is free.

All in all, not a luxorious Intercontinental, but a very well priced and nice business hotel. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 March 2012

These rooms were nicely done and the staff was nice, but this is and always will be a 1980's glass box with an odd lobby and odd breakfast served at a connected steakhouse.

Stayed: March 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

tally11111,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the very good! Whilst I am pleased with the good and the really good comments, I truly value the bad comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we already do. We will address these points and I hope that when you return you will see the improvements that have been made.
Thank you again for your review.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed 28 March 2012

I was just in Tampa briefly so chose to stay at the airport - or 5 mins away, and have my meetings meet me at the hotel.
It was great for this. I arrived early - round 10am, and although they did not have a room ready, they took my phone number and requested cleaners to let them know as soon as one was available.. I ate breakfast in the restaurant, delicious, great service, everything that's good about a hotel breakfast. And within 45 mins I got a call to say my room was ready.
Anyway, I just dropped my bag off and continued to the Lobby area where I had a meeting, it's light, airy, has a water feature noise close by, and was very comfortable as a meeting place.
This hotel is directly opposite a mall, it's pretty big and has most of the stores common to all malls, it seemed a little run down, but I ran over here near end of day and bought a swimsuit as the weather was beautiful and the idea of swimming on the rooftop pool was appealing.
The pool itself was a let down, it just needs to be redone, it's not particularly appealing and it should be to go with the rest of the hotel. They need to look at the Andaz pool in West Hollywood...
The rooms were really nice, great design, relaxing, really comfortable beds, great bathroom, spacious... Loved the blue tones.
Overall it was really nice.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Good hotel, not really in the most lively location. Mall across the street. Decent rooms, but no WOW! Business hotel. I'm a member of Intercontinental properties, not the best. Clean, nice, but just not much for the money.Stay in rear of hotel, front faces a noisey street.

Room Tip: Rooms in back are less noisey.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank wildcatgolf

Dear wildcatgolf,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. We thank you for having chosen our Hotel. We take this opportunity to send you our best wishes.

Regards,