The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Enjoyed it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I'm the kind of traveler that wants a nice place to stay, has room service if I choose to use it, and a helpful/professional staff. The Intercontinental Tampa has it! I called the hotel to arrange to be picked up from the airport (complimentary) , and within 30mins I was checking-in. Even though I had booked through Priceline, they didn't treat me as such. The young lady was more than happy to accomodate my request for a room on a higher level floor, away from the elevator. Let me also say this, I'm a guy that was taught by my parents to use my manners. "Please, thank you", and not being a jerk for no good reason, usually can get your simple request taken of. I don't walk in with a sense of entitlement, if I'm coming in on a discounted rate. Great location, close to shopping and restaurants. Shula's is located on the property, but I didn't eat there.Staff was helpful and attentive. Room was comfortable and clean. Another guest told me that self-parking was free (always a plus). Some people come to a city, check-in, and live in the hotel for the duration of their stay. Not me. When I wakeup, I'm gone for the day/and most of the night to explore the city! So, for me The Intercontinental Tampa was perfect. I got exactly what I wanted.I had an early flight out Mon AM, and got the shuttle to transport me to the airport again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank refinedruffneck

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Polish first
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

In all fairness, I must state that my family never intended on staying at this hotel. Last minute trip, last minute reservation......on one of the discounted websites! Uughh, yes, I know - you get what you pay for! My husband snagged this reservation for a very very low price - almost highway robbery! He quickly asked for a bay-view room (upgrade) and they gave it to him, for free, on the 10th floor! Wow, the stay began with impressive service!
Location is excellent! Close to airport! Across the street from the mall! Very close to great restaurants, great restaurant inside the hotel! Great location! However, since we were so graciously given the bay-view room, our room faced the front of the hotel, which is a busy boulevard. Late at night, on the weekends, was extremely noisy! Cars and motorcycles were drag-racing every single night - and there is nothing you can do. Gorgeous floor-to-ceiling windows offer the best views and all of the noise that comes along with it!
The room was not clean. Not a room that you walk on the carpet without shoes. Filthy carpet had white stains that were very visible - shocked that housekeeping didn't clean it. The floor-to-ceiling windows had hand smudges all over when we arrived and they never bothered to clean those either! You could see the greasy smudges immediately upon entering the room. Gross. The carpet was filthy throughout the room (perimeter). Gray dirt/dust had accumulated in several areas (including the bathroom entrance) that made me wish I carried my Dyson in my luggage. Just a quick vacuum with a corner crevice tool - would have done the trick. The vent in the shower was blowing with ancient dust bunnies attached to it. The hairdryer was broken. Finally, there were 4 of us in the room (mom, dad, tween, tween). We had to repeatedly ask for enough towels. Delivery of additional towels took forever the 1st two days. The last 2 days of our stay, I just picked up extra towels at the pool. Gave up on the service.
The pool was on the rooftop. Our kids loved the pool. Great to watch the planes fly by from the rooftop. There was lots of lively activity at the pool - including a group of gay men having a wonderful time. My tweens kept gawking (rudely), and that's when I realized that the Intercontinental is a hotel for adults, business travelers, party revelers - not a place for young families, looking back, we don't recall seeing any kids ride the elevators at all Thursday-Monday. A place for bachelor parties, etc. Young, professional adults would love this 4-star hotel. The hotel is beautiful - inside and out. The lobby, of course, is immaculate.
We will not return to this hotel. I didn't ruin or put a damper on our vacation. We had a fantastic vacation in Florida. We spent very little time at the hotel. 4-star hotel for $63 - it was a good lesson for our family to learn.

Room Tip: Beware: Rooms that face the front entrance of the hotel - (including bay-view rooms) can be very noi...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TXGal2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear TXGal2012,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

We chose this hotel as part of a very reasonable Cruise/Park/Stay package as we were leaving on the Carnival Legend the next day. All went perfectly. The room was quiet, very clean, the bed was comfortable, coffee maker available in the room, and the location was fantastic! It was kind of cool sleeping in the middle of office buildings, we are not business people so I thought this was pretty unique! Best of all, there is a mall across the street as well as a drug store for anything you might have forgot while packing for your cruise. Also there are many restaurants nearby all within walking distance.
I had originally wanted to use points to book this hotel but wasn't really sure how that would work with the parking and the shuttle, and the reservation clerk wasn't very helpful with this, so I just paid and saved the points. However, in the future, I would probably use my points, park in the garage (just don't park in the spots that say "reserved") and book my own shuttle through Blue One (the company the hotel used). They charge $20 per person round trip to the cruiseport and were really great, on time, and professional. We were one of the first people off the ship, and there they were waiting and took us back to the hotel for our car. Very easy and stress free!
I would defintely reccomend this hotel and would stay here again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tammlynn
Whitmore Lake, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

My husband and I made a last-minute decision to travel to Tampa for a 4-day weekend. We are so glad we did! Using a travel site, we got a great deal on this hotel and found it to be perfect for our needs.

Pro's:
-Roof top pool with large loungers and plenty of towels
-Workout room was well-equipped
-Room was clean and updated
-Close to the aiport.

Con's:
-This hotel is located in a business building, with an atrium separating it from offices. If you have a room off of the atrium, you must be sure to keep blinds closed (of someone sitting at their desk will be staring at you) and it can be echo-y during the day.
-No continental breakfast
-Rooms were somewhat small
-If relaxing by the pool, you WILL see and hear planes closely overhead coming/going from airport.

Overall a great experience, if you don't mind being 10 minute drive from downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing outward, as the atrium can get noisy during the day.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

We stayed here for one night to go to the Tampa Bay baseball game, we were surprised about the service and the hotel it is very nice and the employees are very friendly, I left my make up in the car at valet and they kindly got them for me and brought them to my room...that was great thanks..the pool is small but very cool, its on the 9th floor and it has a very nice view.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

PROS: Great location, accross the street from a large mall, Panera and Starbucks.
Comfortable beds, lots of pillows.
Very good room cleaning (5th Floor)
Free self-parking
CONS: No free WiFi, not even in the lobby. The business center computers were slow and had
wornout keyboards. Printers are good, though.
Small pool with small towels.
Overall I was happy with the hotel and I would stay there again.

Jacksonville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Waste of money.. 4 star rated but you get horrible service worst than 1star. William at front desk really rude.. black gentleman bold head with glasses works at night. dont ever go there.
I suppose to check in at 3pm but they didn't have the room ready until 11pm. waste of time and money... no customer service at all

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this review, 13 May 2012
Naga S,