“Comfortable Business Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Phoenix US
“Comfortable Business Hotel”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 3 weeks for business. The room was very clean and the bed very comfortable. It did not have that "mildew" smell that other hotels in the area have a tendency to have - even the upscale ones. The service staff was very nice. Housekeeping was amazing. Quick to bring extra towels, sundries and my room was always spotless.
The restaurant on the property was OK but for the prices they were charging - I expect more quality in the food.
Unless you are going to valet park - you'll need to go to the garage with the entrance on Westshore Blvd. Park on the 3rd or 4th floor - more parking spots available and closer to the elevator to the lobby.

Room Tip: Unless you want a view of business offices- ask for a room at the end of the hall and on a high flo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TripTreasures
JGaffney, Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this review, 1 June 2012
I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit. We are very proud of our associates that work so hard to provide great service & clean, comfortable accommodations for our guests. Thank you for your business.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Polish first
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed 28 May 2012

My girlfriend and I booked the InterContinental Hotel Tampa to kick off a romantic Memorial Day Weekend getaway in the Tampa/St. Pete area. We booked via HotWire for a seemingly great ($76) rate in the area of town we wanted. I was excited about getting an AAA four-diamond award winning hotel and assumed it would be plush, comfortable and special.

However, we soon learned about the limitations of "full-service" hotels, especially ones that cater primarily to business executives with expense accounts.

To be fair, the hotel lobby and public areas were beautiful and inviting. There was a very upscale feel to the grounds, which fits this hotel's identity as a business hotel in a commercial district (corner of Westshore and Kennedy, west of downtown and just south of Westshore Plaza Mall).

Likewise, our room was very well appointed, with attractive fixtures, wall adornments and colorful bedsheets and furniture. However, it was at the end of the hall, next to the ice machine and staff-only area. So lots of random noises found their way into our room throughout our stay. Not to mention there was a pinging noise from outside our window that persisted most of the evening.

The hotel also features circular towers, so many rooms bear the brunt of this curvature. Our room, on the end of the hall, fell victim to this architecture. It made for an overly cramped feeling. The single queen bed probably didn't help matters, but as the front desk agent explained, "we're overbooked and this is the best we can do." Way to make a first-time InterContinental guest feel welcome!

Back to the discussion about "full-service" hotels. There was no free breakfast I could ascertain, and wireless Internet was $13 per day. They don't go out of their way up front to advertise a free self-park option, listing only valet parking prices on the podium when you pull up. You need to speak up on this so you don't need to pay. The garage is on the back of the building and it's easy to get back to the hotel once you're parked.

One bright spot -- the ninth-floor rooftop pool. Spectacular views of St. Pete and the Gandy Bridge! I didn't much care for the Sunday-morning clientele -- clubby people sleeping off hangovers, primarily -- but the pool was great for laps. Just be alert ... you won't find signage on the ninth floor pointing you to it!

So to wrap things up, if you have business in the area and your expense account/per diem is healthy, the InterContinental is probably a fair choice. But if you're looking for more value and practicality and don't mind the aesthetics as much, opt for a Hampton Inn, Hyatt Place or one of the many Marriott or Hilton brands that provide a middle-ground level of service.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room on the exterior of the towers -- cramped!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank You for your recommendation and honest feedback from your visit. I am disappointed to see you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay with us, I will be sure to share your review with our management team in an effort to improve our services and offerings. Thanks!
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 May 2012

All four star properties have the basics--great linens and a great bar and restaurant for business travelers or high- end vacationers. What sets a property apart is the people behind the scenes.
My would- be "trip from hell " was salvaged by the lovely Niki S. of the front desk crew at the Tampa Intercontinental. After losing my i.d., getting worked over by TSA , and sent packing by the rental car folks, I arrived a wreck, wondering whether the hotel would even allow me to check in. Niki greeted me with warmth and kindness and did everything possible to help me navigate Tampa sans drivers' license for the next two days. I dreaded my stay coming to an end! Every member of the team- from bellman to shuttle driver to front desk staff- makes the Tampa Intercontinental all that a first -rate hotel should be. Bravo!
Thanks Niki!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Yvette,
Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. I am so happy to hear Nikki and our team did such a great job assisting you, it means a lot to us to receive such great feedback.
Thanks for sharing!
Austin, TX
Reviewed 25 May 2012

This is a really nice hotel and the first I have stayed at that has a bathroom scale! Imagine that.
Nice workout room, roof top pool is small.
I won't stay here much because in the atrium, you can see right into the offices across the way. I felt like I was still at the office and felt like I could not unwind after a long day. I didn't think it would bother me at first, but you really can see right into them and you feel like you are on display. I could see post-it notes on people's desks and small details like that.

I did not try the restaurant, but they ended up having a line item on my bill for each day of $0.00 which I thought was weird. Probably a good idea to check that your bill is correct before leaving.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the non-atrium side (if there is one I am not sure)
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
London, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2012

On our first trip to Tampa, this was a wonderful hotel to stay at! It is right across the street from an enormous mall, that included at least 3 super fancy (valet parking) restaurants. When asked, the concierge recommended the Italian place at the mall...Maggiano's Little Italy...since we each got a meal to go (included in the price of our meals eaten at the restaurant, wow!) it was an amazing value. And the food was absolutely delicious! And you could ask for something to be made gluten free! Amazing! anyway, since we had these extra dishes of food, we put them into the mini fridge, of course taking everything out to make room. When asked about heating the food up the next day for lunch, the front desk staff told us we could rent a microwave for $5! How awesome! The concierge mentioned that as soon as we removed the items from the fridge, we would be charged for the items, since it is on a weigh scale, directly linked to the hotel, so they can tell what you took out. When we checked out, we just had to let them know what we had done, and they took the mini fridge charges off my bill. He also told us about the New Year's festivities, and asked us the following day how our night was and was just super friendly. All the staff was! It was a wonderful experience :) The room was super clean! I had even left my camera in the room (must've gone under the bed) and they had it for me after we returned from our cruise. Thanks everyone for a wonderful New Year's!!!

Room Tip: probably one away from the elevators - we were on the top floor and not too close to the elevator, b...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
I am glad you had such a great time and thanks for the great review. Our team is always excited to assist where they can… hope to see you again soon!
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I'm just going to list them:

Rooms are very small and cramped
20" flat screen...sad

Pool had a nice view of the parking garage on the 9th floor.
Pool very small with 3 tables and 10 or so lounge chairs.
Pool deck on two sides only, other two were retaing walls.

Fitness center-half the TV did not work (static or no signal)
A gentlemen came in to clean and instead of changing the towels,
because some were used, he just moved them all from the right side of the machine to the left.

The complimentary parking turned out to be $18.00 a Day!

I ordered the romance package for our anniversary. this was to include flowers, chocolate and champagne.
The flowers were plastic red circles thrown around the room; I guess they were supposed to be plastic rose petals.

Our first room was 1132 which has the window facing Westshore Blvd. All we heard until 2 in the morning were cars racing up and down the street. Then around 6 we heard the delivery trucks, not much sleep.

The room does not have a mini-fridge, but it did have a min-bar where you could but a can of Red Bull for $5.00 or a snickers bar for $4.00. I can buy a case of each for those amounts!

Big disapointment!

Room Tip: It will cosat you an extra $40.00 to guarantee your room type (king, queen etc)
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chris k
Chris,
Thank you for your review of InterContinental Tampa. I am sorry to see that you were disappointed with your stay; however I greatly appreciate that you have provided us with this feedback so that we may improve. Best wishes for future travels.
-John
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed 17 May 2012

This is the second time i stayed over this hotel...when i left i paid and signed the bill. Couple of days later i noticed that they and charged my visa card again. After several calls, they told me that they've forgotten to add the sales tax and other charges onto my receipt. That is NOT MY PROBLEM, i signed and agreed on whatever charges that was on the bill at that time. They have no right to make charges on my VISA card after i leave the hotel. That's a rip off. For all i know they could tell me "oh! there's a charge on the use of the toilette or we forgot to charge $3 on the use of shampoo and conditioner". My point BEWARE of hidden charges it is unacceptable specially when Intercontinental Tampa got rated with a 4 star hotel.....it should be a 2 star hotel. i DO NOT RECOMMEND staying in that hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank tahitinice
, Guest Relations Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Dear tahitinice,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Jaime W