“Very Loud and Over Charged”

The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa
Ranked #37 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boynton Beach, Florida, United States
“Very Loud and Over Charged”
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We checked into this hotel for our honeymoon. When we checked in on Friday June 8th, 2012 we were told that there would be a $75 charge for incidentals, we were okay with that; but when I looked at my bank account Sat morning I saw that there was an additional charge pending in the amount of $398.48. $400 removed from a checking account for newly weds on their honeymoon is a BIG deal. We confronted customer service about this issue when we arrived to the hotel that Sat. We were told they were unsure of the charge but would pass it along to a manager. We then followed up on Sun morning & were told the charge was a mistake & the funds will be released asap. When we checked out Mon morning at 10am the manager still had not called the bank to release the funds but we were told it was a top priority. At this point we were traveling to GA for another part of our trip. I didn't hear anything until Tues at 11:30pm. The manager was caught off guard that I answered the phone & when I asked why she stated she was calling the bank. I was shocked that they we just then calling after they had 4 days to correct the issue. Come Wed am I called my bank directly to see if the funds have been release & they still had not called or released the funds. I called the hotel and was told they had forgotten but it would but would take care of it right away. We didn't get our money back until 8p Wed. We were not given an apology, offered another stay or anything. There was also a soccer team staying there that ran up and down the halls screaming until 4am each night we were there. When we complained about that we were told they are not responsible for the actions of their guests. I found this unacceptable. I will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Neeceebug
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Dear Neeceebug,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay. I trust we can regain your confidence in the our hotel soon.

Zelyn N.
Case Manager
IHG Care

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Polish first
Little Elm, Texas
Reviewed 21 June 2012

When travelling to Tampa on business I usually stay at this hotel and have yet to have a bad experience. The staff is great, check in/check out processes are a breeze. The hotel is within walking distance of a mall and several restaraunts ranging from fast food to fine dining. The rooms are well kept and well equipped. Nothing but great things to say about this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments about our guest rooms, location and especially our delightful staff. Our Associates really do make the difference for our property! We are so excited to hear you always enjoy your visits to our hotel. Thanks for your loyalty!
Mooresville, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I got this hotel after bidding on priceline. I was worried since other reviewer's had mentioned priceline guest get the worst room. We arrived arounnd 11pm on a Fridy night to check in for a 3 night stay. They were very friendly and even accomodated my request to be close to the edge of the building to get a room with an outdoor view as most of the rooms face an indoor atrium. We didn't get our room cleaned(personal preference), but were able to get clean towels from the maid. The roof top pool was beautiful at night and was open until 10pm. You can see Tampa Bay and even downtown St.Pete in the distance from up there.
Free parking in garage.
Hotel had many areas on the property to sit, talk & get drinks with friends.

Only a few things kept me from giving it 5 stars:
-My key stopped working or was checking me out everyday, because I had to get both of them fixed each evening.
-No free wi-fi

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
North Miami Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed 17 June 2012

On 6/15/2012 I had checked in with my family at the Intercontinental hotel located at 4801 W.Kennedy BLVD ,Tampa,Florida 33609. I had two connected rooms. I had my young daughter and my neighbour's daughter. On 6/16/2012, I left the rooms at about 930am to go to Bush Gardens. Once we returned from the park, after a hot day, we assumed that we will be taking showers and changed before going back out to dinner. when we entered the rooms, we realized that they never cleaned and fixed them. I had my fiance calling the front desk and the phone rang several times before it was finally answered. He told them about the situation, and he was told that housekeeping was coming to clean the room immediately. we waited for about one hour no one came,so we tried to recycled the wet towels that we had used and towed on the floor on that morning before we went to the park that we could wash up and dressed up to go to dinner.when we were almost done, a lady from housekkeeper showed up. She told me that she came to clean the rooms,so we left her in the rooms. When we returned 2 hours later both rooms were still dirty.The house keeping lady left without doing anything. I picked up the phone to call the front desk again the phone rang about 15 minutes and no answer. I decided to go to the front desk to talk to them in person. Once I got there, there were 2 ladies working at the front desk and no guests. They were talking with each other, basically. not doing anything. I told them the rooms are still dirty. I asked them if it is such a problem to have it clean change the rooms to other rooms she told me that she could not change the rooms. She said that she would send the house keeper again to the room . the house keeper cleaned one room and left the other one dirty. Immediately , I had called that time they answered the phone right away. I spoke with this lady name Lyli and asked to speak with her boss. I had asked her whats really the problem.Basically, she had not too much to say.She offered me breakfast, but I did not want breakfast. I only needed my room clean or another clean room. I had the worst experience at this hotel then any other....I will not suggest this hotel to anyone ...or return to this location ever...It is not the location of the hotel thats bad instead it is the people who work for this hotel that need to be changed!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Florence C
I am very sorry to hear of your experience at our property, it is completely unacceptable that you received such poor service during your stay. I assure you this is not typical of our hotel and I wanted to let you know I have reviewed this situation with the Housekeeping and Front Office management team to ensure this does not ever happen again. I apologize that this situation ruined your visit to our beautiful city.
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I recently stayed for four nights in a suite on the fourth floor. The rooms were very spacious and accommodating to my needs as I was running my business on the go. The front desk was very nice and helpful as well as the valet and housekeepers. The overall feeling of the hotel and guests were great and made me feel right at home. I will definately stay again and recommend to all of my associates.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dan,
Thanks for the great review and sharing such nice comments about our hotel team. Our Associates are the best and we are very proud of their work… See you again soon.
-John
Reviewed 16 June 2012

This is a great place to stay in tampa! It is located directly across the street from a mall with tons of great restaurants and good shopping. There is an upscale steakhouse also inside the hotel. Hotel has all amenities including valet and a fitness center. It is located in the business district, so don't be suprised if mostly everyone is in suit and tie. You can see the bay from high windows.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thanks for sharing your experience. It is great to hear you enjoyed your visit to our hotel. Hope to see you again soon!
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Loved my recent stay at the Intercontinental Hotel in Tampa. First time at the hotel but when back in the area, I will return. The hotel is situated on busy Kennedy boulevard but once inside you wont hear any sounds from the street. The lobby is modern and very inviting; great for people watching. There is a Don Shula's restaurant/bar in the hotel which turned out to be a very fun place to be for happy hour. The rooms are beautiful with one of the most comfortable and luxurious beds I have ever slept on. The bathroom had great toiletries and big fluffy towels. The entire property was very well maintained. It's a great value. Stay here!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay. Happy hour is a blast at Shula's No Name Lounge!Thanks for the great comments
-John