The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa
Ranked #36 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the rooms. The pictures on the hotel websites are much worse than the hotel. I was worried the hotel was one of these tauted 4 star hotels that have a nice lobby but 3 star rooms. The rooms were very nice. Definitely 4 star and not 3.5. No problems encountered at all. Nice furniture and bed. The desk and table lamps had plugins which is normally overlooked. Also contained a entrance way table with light and mirrror.

1  Thank NewAlbanianTraveler
JGaffney, Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2012

Thanks for sharing your experience… It is great to hear you enjoyed your visit and we suprised you a bit!. Thanks

Reviewed 28 November 2012

I had a terrible stay at Intercontinental Tampa. On Day 2, I informed the front desk that I didn't have any hot water.... they said they sent someone to fix it Day 4 I ask again and that afternoon had a barely lukewarm bath - needless to say, for my entire 6 day stay I didn't have a hot shower. There were NO vending machines nor any microwave or fridge without a fee. We had to go to work so early that we didn't get breakfast or even any caffeine because there was no vending machines & no fridge to keep anything cold. I will never stay at this hotel again. Also, it took me 3 days, 2 calls and an email to get a copy of my receipt which had a bottled water charge on there that I didn't use.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2012

Dear TYoungster,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am deeply sorry for the over all issues you had during your stay. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain some additional details regarding your experience. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 26 November 2012

Very Nice Hotel. Great, cheap, location, services.
10 minutes from Tampa Airport.
Great for conventions. Nice Shula restaurant.
The only thing I can say is missing, they don't have a 24 hours cafeteria just in case.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
JGaffney, Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

Thank you for the great review Salomon and I appreciate the feedback regarding a 24 hour cafeteria. We do have room service available overnight for some late night sandwiches. Thanks for staying!

Reviewed 21 November 2012

Stayed 2 nights at the Intercontinental Tampa. Friendly staff through out the hotel. The hotel is close to the airport, 2 different shopping malls and several restaurants. The rooms are great. Large and spacious. Good sized bathroom. As an Gold Ambassador of Intercontinental I did miss some of the privileges that we normally get at Intercontinental Hotels and many other IHG Brands. No free internet, only a free bottle of water as amenity. The hotel has a bar and restaurant, both are nice and serves good food and drinks. The hotel did not have a club lounge either, which is standard at all other Intercontinental hotels I have stayed at. I am not sure that I would return to this property next time in Tampa.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up towards the street.

Andreas,
Thanks for taking the time to write about your visit. I am glad to see you enjoyed so much of our property from our friendly staff, clean comfortable guest rooms, great Shula’s Steakhouse and convenient location to the airport, shopping and other restaurants. I also thank you for sharing your experience as an InterContinental Ambassador; this feedback will certainly help us improve our service and offerings.
Thank you for your loyalty to our hotel and InterContinental Hotels.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

It seems that if one purchases an evening stay from a discount web sight, you will be given a room located next to the elevators. We had arrived late in the evening and went immediately to dinner. The elevators were not noticable that evening until the we awoke to the incesant sound of a trio of these hard working beauties. At checkout we mentioned the awful noise created from the elevators and were told that we had requested a king bed and all the rooms with king beds were located on each floor near the elevators. We were never made aware of the situation nor offered another room because of the location near the elevators. Further we were told they were full that evening but unless there was an invisible-man convention, I find the activity in the downstairs bar and lobby unsupportive of such a statement.

As for the rooms, they were spotless and well appointed. The bed was extremely comfortable with excellent pillows, sheets and blankets. The bathroom was attractive but provided little space for toilettries and the bath/shower was somewhat dated. The large screen TV provided many channel selections including HBO. Free parking in the back is another hugh plus. This hotel is a business hotel and does many things well but make sure you are not located near the elevators!

Room Tip: Elevators really are noisy in the morning. If you are a light sleeper, a room near the elevator is...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is great to hear your room was clean and you enjoyed the many hotel amenities and free parking we offer to our guests. We take so much pride in offering a clean, comfortable environment with ample amenities at a great value to our customers. I apologize that your room location was not to your liking, and I wanted to assure you the method you reserve your room does not affect the location or quality of your room assignment.
Thanks for sharing and I hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 15 November 2012

The hotel is located less than 10 minutes to the airport, in a great area, with a several shopping malls and restaurants near by. The hotel lobby is beautiful as are the rooms. We had a king room on the 10 th floor, which was large with a vanity at the entrance, as well as a desk and chair and ottoman. The bathroom, while on the small side was nicely decorated. The bed was very comfortable. The only downside was the housekeeping staff knocking on the door at 8:30 am, to begin cleaning the room, when we had a 4 pm check out.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Renee0232

Hi Renee,
Thanks for sharing this great review. We appreciate all your feedback and look forward to your return!

Reviewed 14 November 2012

I stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel in Tampa, FL on business from 4 – 9 November 2012. After about 15 hours of flying and layovers, I arrived late morning at the hotel. They kindly provided me a room before normal check-in time which was much appreciated. The front desk staff was helpful and courteous.

The room they provided me was on the top floor with a comfortable king-sized bed, desk, two end tables, lounge chair with ottoman, flat screen TV, beverage maker (Cuisinart) and an entry table with a large mirror above it. The bathroom was reasonably sized and most importantly had good water pressure for the shower and a make-up mirror. The bathroom included amenities such as: hand and body soap, shampoo and conditioner, a shower cap, hair tie, and cosmetic face pad.

Overall, I rated this as very good accommodations. I did not give it an excellent rating because, except for the shampoo, I did not receive replacements for some of the items I used. For example, I only drink herbal tea. After using the one packet of herbal tea provided (mint), I was not provided any more. I also used the shower cap. After using it a couple times, it ripped and I had to throw it away. Again, I was not provided another one. Fortunately, I bring a spare shower cap with me when I travel. I probably could have taken the initiative to specifically request more of these items, but I was busy all day and know, by the numerous hotels I have stayed at over the years, that exceptional service takes note of what being used and automatically provides more. I must say, it also bothered me that they were charging $7 for a bottle of Fiji water (grocery store cost: ~$1.60). It’s not even filtered water. Of course, I’ve stayed at other hotels that charge a fee for water, but I don’t remember the price being this exorbitant. Needless to say, I bought my own filtered water at the grocery store.

On the positive side, except for one time, I never had to wait for an elevator even though I was on the top floor. I’m not sure if they have one of their elevators programmed this way or if I was just lucky, but I did appreciate it. They also have free shuttle service to and from the airport. I took advantage of this service for my return flight home. The shuttle was comfortable and the driver was courteous and helpful with my luggage.

Again, overall, I had a nice stay at the Intercontinental Hotel in Tampa. Even with the minor items noted above, I would stay at this hotel again.