The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa
Ranked #35 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We live in nearby Fort Myers and came here for a bit of a holiday. This is a lovely hotel just across from a huge mall with tons of shops and restaurants.

The hotel has both an outdoor pool and a fitness center, but we forgot to bring our equipment to use them. The room itself was sufficiently large and perfect for us, including coffee & tea in the room.

The only in-house restaurant is a Shula's Steakhouse - sadly, a pathetic effort.

But overall, this is a very good hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 December 2013

I have always found it odd that nicer hotels seem to think it is fine to charge extra for things that are standard in less expensive hotels. The intercontinental is no exception. WiFi is $12.95 per day. There is no coffee maker in the room, and with out extensive searching, there was no obvious place to grab a complementary cup. And if there was a microwave in the room, it was not obvious either.

The room it self was nice, but surprisingly noisy for being on the 11th floor. It sounded like the elevator equipment. Not to bad until 7am or so. There didn't seem to be any control for the temperature of the room. All was good until 5am when it got a little warm. And some of the fixtures in the room were loose. The switch on the lamp and the handles on the drawers. The television channel selections didn't seem up to what other hotels have. Not bad, but a bit lacking. And I think they missed my wake up call, but I might have been in the shower.

There were some good things. The room was very clean, which was much appreciated. The bed was comfortable and the sheets were nice. The shower put out plenty of water and the towels were thick and soft. The lobby area was impressive. And they addressed me by name when I called the front desk.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel through Hotwire after checking out of our other hotel after just one night, and so glad we did. This hotel was just what we needed. It is perfectly clean and modern. We were visiting family, so the location wasn't really important, but there was a mall across the street and free self service parking in the hotel garage, which was a plus. It was a simple drive to the places we visited... The Lowry Park Zoo, a trip to Clearwater to see Winter the dolphin, and family members in Palm Harbor. We enjoyed the rooftop pool, but we did not use any other amenities such as the dining options. The only complaint I have is that I wanted to get a luggage cart to pack and organize ... really to keep my 3 yr and 5 yr olds busy while my husband finished getting ready. The young man at the entrance REFUSED to let me use one. I was not trying to stiff him from a tip (they handled me bags upon arrival). I was just trying to make things easier for me. Also, the valet drivers drive like maniacs. The same guy who refused my use of the luggage cart turned the corner so fast, he almost hit us in the parking lot and he tried to go around us instead of waiting 2 seconds for us to straighten up. Overall, this is a very nice place to stay. There were plenty of towels and pillows and the beds were comfortable. We would stay again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

Stay here once a year for company holiday party. Great Tampa location. Shulas has great food but a bit pricey. Rooms are wonderful. Free parking in back or valet. Haven't used the pool yet. Bar should stay open later during the week. Will stay again for sure.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Stayed at the Intercontinental in Tampa for a short business trip week of the 9 Dec 13. This is a very nice hotel with fantastic staff who were really helpful and a credit to the hotel, which is also very well appointed. It is not exactly in the best place in Tampa, I usually stay at the Marriott Waterside which is much better located (Downtown Tampa and on the water) and is similarly priced, and sorry Intercon, but I would recommend the Marriot ahead of you! The Intercontinental is opposite one of the Malls in Tampa, so if shopping is your thing it is OK. Had a good stay and was attending a conference at the hotel so very convenient, but on all three mornings I failed to get a hot shower, I did mention this to the staff and they were really apologetic and credited a free breakfast, but still nothing changed. So - no hot showers - not good. To be honest this was my only criticism as the staff were brilliant and very helpful, even amending my bill on departure as I had been overcharged on internet use (and I missed it), which they credited me back - so wonderful and very good staff, nice rooms and a decent gym and pool - but no hot water in the shower! The bar is good though.

Room Tip: Get one away from the elevators - less noise
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear SimonB41,

Thank you for your review. We certainly apologize for the hot water issue and for any inconvenience or negative impression this might have caused you.

We understand why you are disappointed, let me assure you that this is not our usual level of service. Our management has taken note of this and proper action has been taken to ensure that situations of this nature will not reoccur in the future. We are please that you did enjoy our awesome staff.

Your business is valued and we hope to host you again in the future.

Regards,

Brenda J.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Perhaps I'm spoiled by my visits to the Willard, but I was disappointed that we didn't have robes in our room. Smallish room, great price, nicely furnished. A delightfully comfortable bed once we got rid of all but two pillows. Wonderful location, very easy trip to and from the airport. Served up well as a starting point for our day trips.

Our room looked out over the atrium, so we had a great view of the wedding. Free self service parking was nice. Garage was very easily accessible from inside the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the glass elevator. It went up and down all night. Not noisy, but noticea...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Dear rethlaw,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It's great to hear that you liked our hotel location, complimentary parking, well-furnished rooms and comfy bedding. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide not just good value, but relaxing, comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are highly motivated by your words and ensure you that we shall continue to strive for excellence. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more memorable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We were in town for the football game. This hotel is in a great location. Airport, stadium, and fine dining are so close to each other. Rooms are clean and modern. We had a beautiful view of the bay and could see St. Pete's on a clear day. The staff is friendly and check in was a breeze. Pamela, the woman who checked us in, even gave us a late check out. The parking is free in a covered garage. We had a wonderful time and would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013