“Good night's stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Allen, Texas
“Good night's stay”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Just returned from a wedding in Tampa and stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel off of Kennedy Blvd. The hotel is nice with glass-front elevators facing the atrium. Yes, I did stand like Superman bounding upwards into the sky -- so? The room was nicely appointed but nothing special or exotic. It was, however, quite comfortable and quiet. The two sore spots were the TV where channel changing was a challenge (it has that ubiquitous central command box that all hotels seem to use), and the shower with water pressure so low it could be classified as a misting device rather than a shower. The bed was very comfortable and the variety of pillows in different firmnesses let me pick out the right one to cradle my head and prevented a morning crick in my neck.
There is valet parking at $18 a day but there is also attached parking for free. The parking garage elevator takes you to the Lobby and is located at the furthest back of the hotel. I parked out front in the fire lane, checked in (a quick affair), dumped my gear in the room, and went back down to park with no hassles. The hotel has a Shula's steakhouse (which I did not get to try) and also has a snack bar with juices and pastries (which I also did not get to try - hey, I was only there overnight). The hotel is about 7mi from Tampa International airport but I did not hear any planes during my stay.
All in all I would recommend this hotel and, barring a need to be closer to something else the next time I am in Tampa, I will likely be staying there again. Maybe then I can review Shula's and the little snack bar. I might even bring a cape for the elevator ride.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Jeff R, Guest Relations Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
It is great to hear that the bed was comfortable for you so you could get a good night sleep! Thank you for your feedback, I have brought it up with our engineering department. I hope to see you back soon with your superman cape!

-Jeff R.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Polish first
Houston, TX
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I visited the Tampa area on business and won the Intercontinental on Priceline for $65/night, which I thought was a steal. This was a great property overall.

The ONLY minor issue was that there wasn't a window to the outside world, the window looks down into the hotels atrium and directly into business offices, which made me hesitant to open the curtains -- its slightly uncomfortable. So here's a tip -- ask for a room with an OUTSIDE view. Oh, and before I forget, the parking lot is free, but its a bit of a walk to get to the main lobby (down some elevators) and then up more elevators to your room. There's no alternative except Valet.

Other than that, the stay was quite comfortable and pleasing. The room smelled very fresh, the linens were clean, the restroom nicely appointed (wish I could have swiped a couple more of those lotions, they smelled great) and I really liked this stay. I also was kicking myself for not having made enough time to visit Shula's Steakhouse that was on site.

Hopefully my pictures will give you more insight into the place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an outside view, otherwise you'll be looking at the interior atrium.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
I am happy to hear the room met your standards here at the InterContinental Tampa. I look forward to having you stay with us again so you can try out Shula’s Steakhouse!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 21 February 2014

6:30 am
Some one knock on my room very loud, even though I already place "do not disturb" sign on the door. Because of that I can not sleep. At 7:15, I called the front desk and the person told me some one was looking for missing keys, which I found it on the bed sheet when the house keeping delivered extra amenities and forgot to take the key with him, I m going to complaint later on and see what is the action the manager will do.

• Stayed February 2014
I apologize for the inconvenience you faced when staying with us! I have brought this to my manager’s attention to make sure we avoid this issue. I wish you the best of luck with prospective travels.

Naples, Florida
Reviewed 19 February 2014

First I am an ambassador with IHG. Many upgrades without even asking like fruit and water in the room. A free movie $17.99 value, Free room upgrade ( when available) I have stayed at this hotel 10 times now and have ALWAYS received a junior suite upgrade. The suites are spacious , warm feeling and very comfortable( my 20 year old daughter told me she could live there without a problem).

I just wanted to say a special thanks to Bryan at the front desk. Even though I didn't meet him in person he went above and beyond with helping me with this reservation. I called three times as I wanted to make sure we had a room. ( we booked this room thru the volleyball housing authority) there was one tournament in Orlando that also booked ours rooms and they didn't have one when we arrived. ( This was at a hyatt at universal.) Bryan assured me that we had a room and he also thanked me for being an ambassador member. Bryan told me he would see what he could do to get me upgraded as well. When I arrived I was welcomed by katherine as an ambassador member and told that I was indeed upgraded to a junior suite!!! ( thank you Bryan) since this went thru the housing authority I had no idea if I was eligible for an upgrade. Katherine was so professional and the most helpful!!! As I was in need of a massage and was asking her for recommendations. She booked a person to come to the hotel to give me a massage as well as cancel it when I found one at the convention center that did it between games for my daughter. I talked to Katherine several more times on my visit and I want to tell you that she went above and beyond any request I made that weekend.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a junior suite or become an ambassador and get upgraded free if they have availab...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
I am overwhelmed with joy to hear that you had such an excellent stay with us at the InterContinental Tampa! Thank you for such kind comments about Brian and Kathryn, they are both excellent members of our team here at the InterContinental. We do appreciate the loyalty as an ambassador, and hope to have you as our guest again!

Miami, Florida, USA
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Avoid this hotel if at all possible. 3 nights here leaving tomorrow 2/16. Flight was late so they gave away king room for a 2 double bed room knowing it was my annivesary. Switched 2nd night to king size but next to noisy elevator hydraulic motors preventing sleep. Combined with ghetto music neighbors sounds coming through paper thin walls. P a cked up today and was promised a blocked out King Rm in quieter location that would be ready when we got back fr Busch Gardens.
Jokers at front desk said not ready as promised so just a few minutes. Now sitting in lobby 2 hours . This hotel only has one asset: Shulas Steakhouse. I' going to send a lettet to corporate next week to let them know what these clowns are doing to the Intercontinental brand.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank ARthur681
Jeff R, Guest Relations Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
I am terribly sorry for the issues you experienced with us. I have brought it to our mangers attention to improve in these areas. We wish you the best of luck with your future travels!

new york
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Beds comfy, room clean, free parking , wifi working fine...second stay here with priceline..only bad experience was with the service at the bar/lounge...we sat down at a table for two on Saturday night Valentine's Day and were completely ignored for 20 minutes by the 2 male and female waiters.the female chatting with customers while not observing who needs service...we left and went across the street and had a wonderful experience at the Palm.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
It is wonderful to hear such positive comments about the InterContinental Tampa! We are happy you took advantage of the free parking, and we loved to hear the bed was comfortable for you! We hope you choose to stay with us again!

Bartow, Florida
Reviewed 11 February 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

the hotel has a nice view to the golf of mexico, the rooms are confy in size and decor is somewhat modern. i am not giving the five stars because, the bathroom was presenting some mold and need it a more in depth clean.
the restaurant was too overpriced for the service and food they served.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank egland s
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear egland s,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your room and the majority of features provided. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to improve and continually provide the best experience possible. I would also like to apologize for any inconvenience your restaurant experience may have caused you. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities we offer to our guests.

Janice A