The staff was great and the room was well-appointed, but the guestroom corridors (and to a lesser extent, the lobby) have a very strong acrid odor redolent of sweat and stale air. I looked around and found that the corridor fresh air supply was completely non-functional during my entire stay (i.e., no outside air was being delivered), which is a violation of uniform building codes.
In lieu of repairing their fresh air problem, the hotel has mounted commercial bathroom type air fresheners in the corridor that periodically spray an aerosol mist (please see photo). This just adds to the odors that are present and doesn't clear up the problem of no fresh air being brought into the building. Furthermore, guestroom windows don't open creating an unpleasant and unhealthy situation. Stale air in the corridor was being brought into my room via the bathroom exhaust.
I took off the cover on the through-the-wall air conditioning unit in my room and found its fresh air damper was completely closed. I changed that setting myself to allow fresh air to come in and my room got less stuffy. However, anytime I was near the door to the corridor I smelled the very strong combination of stale air and aerosol freshener from the corridor.
In its present state, this is an unhealthy building and I don't recommend anyone who is concerned about their respiratory health stay here!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wingate by Wyndham Tampa is located directly across the street from University of South Florida and less than a mile away from Busch Gardens and Adventure Island. The USF Sun Dome, MOSI Imax/Museum, VA, Shriner's and Moffitt are all within .75 miles. Within 2 miles are shopping, golf, and 40-plus restaurants and the property is only 7.5 miles from downtown Tampa, 11 miles from Ybor City and Channelside entertainment district, 17 miles to airport, and 45 minutes from Clearwater Beach and Ellenton Prime Outlets. Awarded Customer Service honors by Wyndham Worldwide, and Green Lodging Certification by the State of Florida DEP, the Wingate by Wyndham Tampa strives for the highest standards for their leisure and corporate travelers alike. Property Highlights Include- Local Shuttle Service (with our most popular destinations free to our guests)within a three mile radius, complimentary 40-item Hot breakfast, free Hi-Speed wired and wireless internet throughout, complimentary business center, fitness room, and indoor whirlpool open 24 ours, and an outdoor pool open until 10pm. New Lounge, built in July 2009, serves wine and beer on tap nightly. Meeting room facilities on property. Room Highlights - All 86 guestrooms at Wingate by Wyndham Tampa offer complimentary wired and wireless high-speed Internet access, micro fridge units, pillow-top mattresses, one cordless and one 2-Line phone, complimentary weekday newspaper, cable television with HBO, pay-per-view Movies and Nintendo, iron and ironing board, hair dryers, and 17" in-room safes. The January, 2009 property renovation included all new guestroom furniture, 32 inch Flat-Panel Televisions, new microwave/refrigerator units, all new fixtures and granite countertops in guestroom bathrooms, Sealy Posturepedic pillow top mattresses, new bedding and 250-thread-count cotton sheets. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Wingate by Wyndham Tampa/At USF reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wingate By Wyndham Tampa Usf / Busch Gardens Hotel Tampa
- Wyndham Tampa
- Wingate Tampa
- Tampa Wyndham
- Wingate By Wyndham Tampa/At USF Florida