“Busch”

Wingate by Wyndham Tampa/At USF
Ranked #39 of 163 Hotels in Tampa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
NH
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Initially we were very happy at the Wingate...the staff was very helpful and friendly, the room was spacious and clean, the pool delightful, the Continental breakfast satisfying. We travel quite a bit and have realistic expectations when we stay in moderately priced lodgings...if one wants all the trappings of the rich and famous one must pay. When we want to splurge, we do so. We were on a quick, low budget excursion, looking for a clean place to sleep for a few days. Things went according to plan except for one small glitch...we were unable to get much sleep in the King sized bed in our room. The bed was old and lumpy, soft, and offered very little comfort, not to mention no support. Both of us suffered from back aches during the night and in the morning. We shared our problem at the front desk. The gentleman on duty arranged for us to try out beds in two other rooms...same issue. We appreciated the effort but there was no solution for our last night. At check out when we were asked about our comfort the young man informed us of his surprise that the bed was not to our liking as he's heard nothing but the highest praise regarding their beds. Evidently none of Trip Advisors reviews have ever reached his ears since I have read many instances to the contrary here. We have never before experienced sleeping issues in any of the establishments we've stayed in. Newer beds are higher in platform and much firmer without all of the irregularities from which our mattress suffered. It's not a matter of pleasing some people and not others. It's a matter of replacing outdated bedding and installing good quality firm mattresses. If travelers have trouble sleeping in your hotel than it will not be recommended to others regardless of the other amenities. Word travels fast.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
tampa094, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Tampa/At USF, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to point out the issue you had with the bed in your room. We do normally hear how great our beds are, but if we have one that is not up to standard we need to know so that we can have it replaced. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the other areas of your stay. I am glad to read that the staff tried to do everything they could to solve the issue for you. They truly do go above and beyond to ensure our guests enjoy themselves while at our hotel. I assure you the bed you stayed in will be looked at and replaced if needed. I hope that next time you are in Tampa you will come stay with us. We will be sure to put you in a room with a bed that many have raved about being so comfortable.
Tampa
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I was very upset with the way my bill was handled They double billed me and I had to call them to get it straightened out. They wanted me to wait for the money to go back into my account. I called again and asked them to call my bank, so the bank wasn't holding fees on my account. There were 4 people staying in the room and I was only given 3 towels. We also had problems with the air conditioner in the room.I was a little surprised that they didn't offer any deductions on my bill.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your experience with our property. I am sorry to see that you were not pleased with the way your bill was handled. We normally let all guests know when they change cards at check-in that the authorization placed on the prior card to secure the reservation may take some time to drop off. This normally depends on the processing policies of your bank of choice. I am glad we were about to send a reversal form for you and get the release expedited. Credit card issues are very important to us as we understand mistakes with credit cards are mistakes with someones money and life.
I am sorry to also read you did not believe the a/c was working to its full potential. We work very hard here to ensure that all of our equipment works like it is brand new at all times. We will be sure to take a look at the one that was in your room.
We will use this feed back to better ourselves as a hotel. I hope that the next time you are in Tampa you will come stay with us. We would love for you to see the progress we have made.