“Relaxing , Quiet ,Clean an a very friendly Staff!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Wingate by Wyndham Tampa/At USF
Ranked #32 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
Smyrna
“Relaxing , Quiet ,Clean an a very friendly Staff!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

6th-11th of july . I stayed at this Wingate in Tampa. Seeing im from out of town. Thr staff was very freindly an helpful. Clean an very Nice size rooms. The pool an Hot tub were both close. I am a smoker but I rather stay where smoking is not allowed. Location ok, not much in walking rang. Seeing it rain every 30 mins while we were there. Over all i will return.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Patton A
tampa094, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Tampa/At USF, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you Patton A for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. We have since gotten the pool and spa in working order for the next time you come and see us. Hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here from the 12th to the 18th with our 23 month old. Upon arrival we were checked in by Z. He was very pleasant and professional. I had called ahead during the week to request a crib for our room from Laura who was also at the desk at check in. She seemed to care less so Z made a quick call to confirm and indeed it was in our room albeit a bit dated as far ad Pack n Plays go. We received a welcome bag of bottled water, M&M's and pretzels which was an unexpected nicety.
There was a sign on the Jacuzzi door and the second elevator saying they were out of service. They both remained out of service for our entire week stay. Our room was on the 3rd floor facing Fowler Avenue. A/C worked fine, bathroom, bed and sitting area were average. Right off the bat we had difficulty with our safe. Z came up immediately and reset it.
The pool area was average and our little one had fun. Unfortunately the pool was closed for maintenance from our last night on. Pretty disappointed we were unable to get one last swim in before we left.
Breakfast wasn't as bad as everyone writes. Eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, waffles, cereals, etc. Great for budget conscious parents!
Overall our stay was ok. I should have asked for a 4th floor room as the very rowdy Busch Gardens crowd were quite loud coming in after 10:30 - 11. (Parents bring a sound machine to drown this out!) Plus traffic on the Fowler Avenue side got a bit loud at times.
Like the previous reviewers, I too woke up each morning from our second night on with mysterious red bites.
We would not stay here again. Great customer service but the facilities fell short.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank thecookingmama
tampa094, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Tampa/At USF, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you thecookingmama for your review. Z is a fantastic person and I am thrilled that he was able help you all throughout your trip. I am, however very that we have missed the mark on other aspects of your trip. Please reach out to me directly at 813-979-2828. I love the opportunity to discuss these matter with you and make it up to you.
Groveland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We were staying at Wingate due to a teacher conference at USF. There were other options just as close and within same price range. I had read mixed reviews, but since it was not a leisure trip we decided on Wingate since it offered shuttle, wifi and breakfast. After arriving and seeing the two hotels next door we released we might have made he wrong selection. Curb appeal can say a lot about the overall maintenance of a location. When we arrived the "catering" building was barely visible due to plants, weeds, grass being so overgrown. I understand no longer using a building, but neglecting half of your property says a lot about the overall care going into the other facilities still being offered to guest.

I can confirm the following negatives: 1) hot tub is still out of service. This is unacceptable for a large corporation hotel. Parts and repairs for a chain this large can most certainly be obtained within two weeks, and based on reviewed already written this appears to be how long it has been broken.
2) one of the other elevators is still broken. Again unacceptable for a large chain. Two weeks and not fixed?
3) the remaining elevator is still making noises and sounds like it is breaking. This was stated in another review and clearly has not been addressed.

Pool area is small but that is expected for a budget stay-over hotel. Breakfast options limited but the lady who was keeping up buffet was very good at refilling and keeping up with cleanliness of the dining area.

The shuttle driver was friendly but they front desk needs to explain how it works better. When we checked in the night before we were told that we just needed to come down 30 minutes before we wanted to leave. The ntc morning my husband was told the shuttle was fully booked. The front desk did not explain times could be reserved in advance.

The room was clean and comfortable. There was a fridge and microwave and coffee maker. Wifi was available throughout the building and paper provided.

Overall the stay was ok. I question the maintenance though--- having so many key amenities broken for so long is not acceptable. Also not maintaining grounds makes me wonder how often any maintenance is done. Just from the outside the hotel immediately next door looks nicer-- more kept up. Just for that reason we would probably opt to stay next door or across the street if we have to attend the teacher conference next year.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank ShelleyGator
tampa094, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Tampa/At USF, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you ShelleyGator for writing a review of your stay with us. I am sorry that your experience was not up to par. We have currently order the parts for both the elevator and jacuzzi. Unfortunately both had to come directly from the manufactures in Canada and were held up in customs along the way. Both should be up and running within a matter days. We do our best to take care of maintenance issues as soon as we become aware of them, but unfortunately sometimes the materials to make the repair take a long time to arrive.

I am also sorry for the building next door to us. We do not use nor own this building. This has been a point of contention for the hotel for quite some time. It is sad that a great space has been left vacant and neglected by its owners for so long. We occasionally do touch up on the area adjacent to our sidewalks to limit the affect our neighbors apathy has on our guests. I have seen people going in and out of the building recently, so hopefully this eyesore will be cleaned up soon.

Thank you and I hope you will give us another chance when in Tampa.
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

First the good: The beds are supremely comfortable. It's been a long time since I have gotten a good night's sleep on a bed of such quality. Secondly, the location being as close to Busch Gardens (and other attractions) is fantastic. The driver of the shuttle to and from were wonderful as well.

The bad: Arriving on a Friday afternoon, we checked in about an hour early. On our way to the room, we saw a sign on one elevator door stating that it was out of order due to a power outage. This is fine since there was another elevator in working order. However, every time the second elevator's door opened, it stuttered before closing - almost as if it couldn't make up its mind whether or not to close.

We arrive at the room and find only washcloths and hand towels available to use. The maids were nearby and they were nice enough to get us the rest of the missing towels right away; but the room wasn't fully ready if we had to ask.

Within minutes, my son wanted to go swimming. He and I get ready and go down to the pool. A sign stating the jacuzzi is closed was a bit disappointing, but okay. Then we went outside to the pool to find a padlock on the gate. We asked the front desk how long it would be closed - they told us it's closed because of cleaning and should be ready by the next morning. I'm curious as to why in the world a hotel would choose a Friday afternoon (or morning) in the middle of Summer in Florida to clean their pool? This should be done on a weekday, not a weekend.

Saturday morning, around 8:20, we asked the front desk about the shuttle to take us (5 people) to Busch Gardens. The young lady behind the counter looked over her clipboard and said, with a grimace, that she regrets to tell us that the shuttle is all full until 10:30. We stepped outside to see what we could do and come up with a plan B since we didn't really feel like shelling out money for parking. It was 8:25 and we were the only ones out front with an empty shuttle before us. -- A minute later and wonderful woman came out and said she will happily take us to Busch Gardens, and doesn't understand why on Earth the front desk always screws up the shuttle list.

Sunday night we finally got to the pool, it was nice, but small. And for having been recently cleaned, it sure didn't look it. A minor quibble: One sign says the hours of the pool is 6AM-10PM and another says 7AM-10PM.

As far as a good sleep and nice room -- Wingate is fine. But the place needs some attention.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Cheezhead1976
Thank you Cheezhead1976 for writing a review of your stay with us and I am glad that our location and beds exceeded your expectations. I am very sorry about the Jacuzzi being closed, our hotel was recently struck by lightening causing irrepairable damage to our pump motor. The motor has been ordered and should be installed within the next couple of days. The cleaning of the pool, unfortunately was not planned. The company that we contract to maintain the pool, over chlorinated that morning and therefore we had to close it down while the chemical cycled through. We are now looking at other options for pool maintenance as a result.

In regards to the shuttle, I have spoken with the front desk as well as the shuttle driver about proper communication. We certainly do not want our guests to suffer because two departments were not communicating.

I would love that opportunity to discuss these matters with you directly. Please feel free to contact me at 813-979-2828.
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a large family trip. With our entire party staying at the hotel under one group name it was to assume that we would be placed as close as possible. Understanding that it is not possible to accomodate everyone on the same floor we were taken by surprise to find that we were spread out through out the entire hotel. After waiting to be accommodated we were in our first room and looked to the ceiling only to find ants on the ceiling and walls. After calling the front desk to I advise them about the ants I told them to please wait until we moved to spray. I went to take a shower and came out to find out that they came in and sprayed while there was a child and adult in the room. The second room was nice but the hotel ran out of washcloths. The Jacuzzi seems to be forever out of commission. After gathering with rest of my party 3 of them had mysterious welts on their body. With all this the hotel offered no compensation. It would be nice to have been taken care of for the numerous inconveniences but it appears as if the front desk either doesnt care or isn't as empowered to make compensation decisions as they see fit. I just wish more could have been done.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dee_2221
Thank you Dee_2221 for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I would love the opportunity to speak with you directly about these issues. Please reach out to me at 813-979-2828.
Tulln, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed there with the whole family to spenden some time in nearby Busch Gardens.
Whilst a refurbishment of the room we used seems appropriate (stains on the carpet, very noisy AC) staff was great.
Don't expect too from the breakfast, but the offer is overall reasonably priced.
Would return when in town.

Sleep Quality
2 Thank Jasys
Thank you Jasys for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I am glad that we were to be a part of your families trip to Busch Gardens. Our maintenance team has start their quarterly cleaning of all guest room carpets and inspections of our a/c's. We very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you next time you are in Tampa.
Coconut Creek, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

I was immediately impressed at check-in. The front desk staff was very pleasant and accommodating. He was able to place us in a room despite us being an hour early for check-in.

Things went a little downhill from there. First, the Jacuzzi was out of order due to a chemical imbalance. Next, the elevators were out of order because the building had been struck by lightening the previous day. These are both minor issues and I certainly don't expect them to be able to prevent lightening. However, out of order signs remained on the elevators for the duration of our two night stay. It turns out, that one of the two elevators actually was working and only the one with the signs on the doors was out. I didn't know that until I happened to see someone getting off the elevator as I was headed to the lobby to check-out. It would have been nice to have somehow been informed that the elevators were working. A note left on the bed or a message on the phone--something. I don't know if the Jacuzzi was ever returned to working order. If I'd been interested in using it, I suppose I could have found out easily enough. Again, though, some sort of message about it would have been nice.

I am picking nits. I could have asked any of the staff about either of these issues at any time, but chose not to. I'm just saying service could be at taken to a higher level if this hotel wanted to really set itself apart from the competition.

Once we got the room, it seemed a little warm, so we turned down the A/C, I'm usually very comfortable at 76 and the A/C was set around 74. I had to turn it down to 70 to get comfortable. Again, a very minor issue. The A/C was quiet and easily cooled the room once turned down.

The room was spacious and very clean. The beds were comfortable enough. Plenty of electrical outlets. Other than that, the room was pretty standard, mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker, etc..

Noise was nonexistent! I could hear really heavy rain and maybe some traffic, but that was it. I heard zero noise from either the hallway or adjoining rooms.

WiFi is outstanding! Probably the best I've ever experienced in any hotel anywhere.

The complimentary breakfast is standard. No complaints.

2 Thank JiCiT
Thank you JiCit for your kind and thorough review of your stay with us. I am very sorry that your stay happened to fall right after the lightning strike and appreciate your understanding of the situation. Also thank you for pointing out the areas that we could have done better to turn your stay from a 4 to a 5. It is through comments like yours that we are able to grow as hotel and ensure great stays for our future guests. Thank you and we hope to see again next time you are in Tampa.