“Lack of Caring and Unprofessional”

Courtyard Tampa Downtown
Ranked #62 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I chose this hotel due to the proximity of my customers on a recent business trip. As a frequent Marriott business traveler at Gold level, I also booked two addiotional rooms for my colleagues. Upon a late arrival past midnight, I had to buzz in multiple times before someone arrived at the door. Security demands this needs to be done after 10 PM. I appreciate the added security, but their needs to be someone to answer ther buzzers in a timely fashion. The only room they had was a handicap room on the 1st floor with no other option. I prefer higher floors simply to avoid hearing cars paasing all night. But a room is better than no room. I asked if my colleague arriving aftewr me also had a handicap room and was told yes.
The flapper on the toilet was not working so the toilet ran all night long. The AC unit was loud enough tat the sound of the toilet running wasn't as bad as the AC unit. The batroom floor of handicap rooms have no tubs for obvious reasons, so therefore the floors are always wet.
My colleague arrived at 2:00 AM and was told his room was not available and they sent him to another hotel! He is a non US resident and and the fact they made him walk two blocxks to another hotel is unbelievable. They told me he had a room one hour earlier. We had reservations and I'm sure we would have been charged for the rooms if we hadn't showed up. They did pay for one night at the other hotel, but to "bump" him from a hotel because they overbooked is unacceptable.
The next day they appologized and bought us a drink. I understand that hotels can have limited availability but to turn away customers in the middle of the night is unacceptable. Specifically for a hotel like the Courtyard which is designed for business travelers. Paying $199 per night during peak season, but they really should provide better value than what was extended to us.

Room Tip: Rooms higher and overlooking the pool are quieter. Breakfast is best obtained elsewhere.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelFan920
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to notify us of your experience while staying at our hotel. While we would much rather have a positive review as most all of them are, we do have times that we do not reach our goal of a positive guest experience. It is these reviews that we can improve our services and use these experiences to make sure that we do not have something like this occur to a future guest. As for your colleague, I personally spoke to him on four different occasions over his two days in Tampa and not only did we handle this unfortunate situation professionally, but resolved this issue with him to his satisfaction on a business level and more importantly a personal level. Customer loyalty and customer service are what seperate our hotel from other local hotels and it is something that we take great pride in on every level. Again, I do apologize for these circumstances and will do all that I can to assure that this does not occur to a future guest. If it should, we will again do everything possible as we did with your colleague to make sure not to lose their loyalty and to make them "whole" by any means possible. Safe travels and I hope that you give us the opportunity of staying with us on a future visit to Tampa!

Reviewed 11 February 2013

Great location and very nice staff. I stayed on a recent Saturday night in an even numbered room facing the Residence Inn. I did not experience any loud music from neighboring establishments as reported by a previous reviewer. There is some light music piped into the courtyard between the two hotels but is shut down at 11:00pm. Overall we were very pleased and would definitely return.

Stayed: February 2013
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your positive experience at our hotel. Reviews like yours are great to pass along to the staff. Safe travels and we hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 4 February 2013

Local dance club on the block rocks the neighborhood from 9PM until 2AM on Friday and Saturday nights. Even-numbered rooms facing the Residence Inn get blasted. Its unrelenting bass, drums and screaming vocals. Front desk says, "It'll be over at about 2." Miserable nights.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. I do apologize about the noise issue the bar across the street. We generally do not have any issues like you posted especially from other reviewers on-line. The bar is a "Martini Bar" so it is not known for loud music. I am unsure if this past weekend was a special event or some sort. I will look into it and not make sure that this does not happen again. Generally it is a great spot for a drink and the noise issue is a non-factor. I do apologize and appreciate you informing us about your experience. safe travels!

Reviewed 31 January 2013

My husband and I stayed for the weekend of Gasparilla as we are in one of the krewes. This is a great location since it is central to downtown and easy to get around. We knew the property would be sold out and very busy during this weekend, but you would not really have known it based on the hotel's preparation for the "invasion". The were plenty of front desk staff as well as valet staff. All of the staff were friendly, helpful and went out of their way to ensure we had a good stay.

The rooms are basic Courtyard rooms, so nothing fancy, but clean, spacious and comfortable. Our room had a mini refrigerator, which was useful for storing a few waters and beverages.

Some of the other reviews mentioned road noise. The hotel is located downtown. You have to expect that there will always be some level of noise when your hotel is in the middle of the city. The rooms themselves seem to be pretty well insulated as I did not hear any noise from adjoining rooms.

Thank you again to the staff of the Courtyard for their great service! We will definitely be back again next year for Gasparilla!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

I am so glad that you had a great experience at our hotel. We love our Gasparilla events here at the hotel and look forward each year to the parade. I will share with my staff your comments on the great service. We work hard to give great servive to all our guests. Safe travels and I hope to see you next January for Gasparilla 2014!

Reviewed 25 January 2013

Stayed here one night prior to our cruise and would recommend it to others...it's a friendly and clean hotel with the basic amenities and service, and a nice bargain for the price. Free shuttle to the cruise port and within a 2 mile radius. Has a small pool, two nice hot tubs and a basic gym. Because hotel is small with limited amenities, I wouldn't recommend for longer stays but overall nice value close to some of Tampa's attractions.

Room Tip: Courtyard-facing room recommended as front of hotel is on busy, downtown street...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank margozinha1
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Thank you for your positive comments on your hotel experience. We love our cruise passengers here at the hotel and as you noted we are one of only a few hotels that offer free transportation to the cruise ship port. Thanks for the helpful tips to our future guests. Safe travels!

Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stayed here for New Year's Eve. Rate was far better than any of the other hotels in the area. The entire staff went out of their way to offer friendly, gracious service. (Towels arrived in less than 5 min, front desk arranged van service pronto, etc). Rooms have all been recently renovated--however, stains on carpeting in room, furniture already looking worn. Rooms located away from elevators & vending are also located closer to either 1 of 2 roadways that have heavy traffic. Our room overlooked pool, & the traffic was to our left. The water from the pool seemed to increase the sounds of traffic---all night long.
Housekeeping needs a few lessons in basic cleaning. Furniture surfaces were dusty, top of tub (corners where tub meets wall tile) were dusty. Wiped across the top of the shower curtain rod (wanted to drape my towel across it) & the towel picked up a bunch of black residue. Wiped it 5 or 6 more times until towel no longer picked up any black stuff. The front of A.C. Vent had thick dust balls poking through. We could only imagine what it looked like on the inside....we didn't turn our A.C. on at all. Sink area really needed a shelf or a few hooks for hanging/holding necessities.
Probably won't return. Too noisy for us and not very clean

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Travelspirit

Thank you for your input on your stay. We pride ourselves on our customer service and our cleanliness here at the hotel. I am sorry that you felt we fell short in one of those areas. We appreciate any comments that can make us better and we will make sure that we have that addressed for our future guests. As you can see from other reviews this truly is the exception and have a strong history of positive reviews. Thank you and safe travels.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

My employer General RV was taking part in the Greater Tampa RV show and we all camped out for 5-7 nights at the Courtyard. It was clean and comfortable the staff friendly and the daily breakfast buffet ample and tasty.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for the positive comments on your recent stay. I have passed along your comments to the staff and I have to agree that it is the people that make the hotel experience! As you mentioned, the hotel shuttle can take you anywhere in the downtown area especially if you don't feel like walking and exploring the city in that manor. Thanks for the helpful tips. Safe travels and we hope to have you back again in the future!