“Great for locals and visitors!”

Courtyard Tampa Downtown
Ranked #64 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 26 February 2013

This Courtyard is perfect for locals or visitors! I am a local resident of Tampa and we have stayed here on several different occasions. This weekend was because of Gasparilla Run weekend. It was walking distance of the convention center and to where the runs started. The free shuttle (drivers are awesome) is a huge help of getting around, eventhough many things are in walking distance. We took the shuttle to Jacksons, Tinatapas and to Ybor city. Good variety of restraunts all in walking distance also. There is a great park across the street, along the riverwalk. The courtyard has a great pool, hot tub and a small basketball court. Rooms are super comfy. This property was just renovated and looks great. I have come here with friends, as a couple and with the family. The frontdesk ladies greeted were super friendly... chatted with us everytime we came in. Will be back soon!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Thank you for sharing your postive experience during your recent stay and I am so glad to here from returning guests... that speaks volumes! I will definitely share your comments with the staff and glad that you got to experience so much of the city and the hotel during your visit. We look forward to a future return trip! Safe travels.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Tampa Downtown

Reviewed 25 February 2013

My husband and I stayed at the hotel on Feb 19th, 2013 to attend a hockey game. We checked in early no problem. I knew the parking was tight but it was no problem and the General manager was very helpful getting that done. Front desk people where friendly and housekeeping people attentive. Operations manager arrange to get my car in the morning and the shuttle driver was fun and very informatative.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

I am so glad that you had a great visit to our hotel and hope that you enjoyed the hockey game! We see a lot of guest for all the events at the Tampa Bay Times Forum, especially for the Tampa Bay Lightning due to our proximity. Thank you for your positive comments regarding the parking, we offer both self parking and valet parking and due to this combination we do not have a problem with accomodating the parking needs of our guests (even at a downtown location)! We have plenty more games left in the hockey season and hope to see you again for a future game! Safe travels.

Reviewed 23 February 2013

This Marriott building is part "Courtyard" and part "Residence" (both my Marriott). We previously stayed at the Residence, but this time we chose the Courtyard. It is a very nice hotel, but there is a $14.95 fee for parking. I am not sure if it is per night or for the duration. We only stayed 1 night. The parking is a small fenced in lot across the street. Be prepared that if you go out at night and come back late, you might not be able to park in the lot that you just paid for and parking on the street is limited as well. There was no complementary breakfast or anything (not even fruit). The rooms are very clean, and the shower had very hot water with great pressure. We were on the 4th floor and our sliding glass door lock was broken. Luckily there was a bar that locked in place to help secure the door. There also is a nice BBQ area in a courtyard between the two sides of the building. We were woken up at 6:30 am by the train whose engineer decided to blow the horn for what seemed like a straight 5 minutes. Other than that, the room was very quiet.

Room Tip: If you can get a room facing the inside courtyard, between the two buildings, I beleive it would be...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the 4 star rating. I am glad that you had an overall positive experience while staying at our hotel. I know that it seems that the parking seemed to be a slight issue. Obvoiusly, we are a downtown/urban hotel but we do provide both self parking and valet parking. Due to having both we are always able to accomodate all our guests for parking. The price for parking is $14.00 for either self parking or valet parking. Therefore, if necessary we can always accomodate more vehicles either in our main parking lot or our secondary lot used for valet. Again, I do apologize for the slight inconvenience in this area and I am glad that this issue did not have an overall negative impact on your stay in your overall rating for our hotel. Safe travels and we hope to see you in the future when visiting Tampa!

Reviewed 22 February 2013

I chose this hotel due to the proximity of my customers on a recent business trip. As a frequent Marriott business traveler at Gold level, I also booked two addiotional rooms for my colleagues. Upon a late arrival past midnight, I had to buzz in multiple times before someone arrived at the door. Security demands this needs to be done after 10 PM. I appreciate the added security, but their needs to be someone to answer ther buzzers in a timely fashion. The only room they had was a handicap room on the 1st floor with no other option. I prefer higher floors simply to avoid hearing cars paasing all night. But a room is better than no room. I asked if my colleague arriving aftewr me also had a handicap room and was told yes.
The flapper on the toilet was not working so the toilet ran all night long. The AC unit was loud enough tat the sound of the toilet running wasn't as bad as the AC unit. The batroom floor of handicap rooms have no tubs for obvious reasons, so therefore the floors are always wet.
My colleague arrived at 2:00 AM and was told his room was not available and they sent him to another hotel! He is a non US resident and and the fact they made him walk two blocxks to another hotel is unbelievable. They told me he had a room one hour earlier. We had reservations and I'm sure we would have been charged for the rooms if we hadn't showed up. They did pay for one night at the other hotel, but to "bump" him from a hotel because they overbooked is unacceptable.
The next day they appologized and bought us a drink. I understand that hotels can have limited availability but to turn away customers in the middle of the night is unacceptable. Specifically for a hotel like the Courtyard which is designed for business travelers. Paying $199 per night during peak season, but they really should provide better value than what was extended to us.

Room Tip: Rooms higher and overlooking the pool are quieter. Breakfast is best obtained elsewhere.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelFan920

Thank you for taking the time to notify us of your experience while staying at our hotel. While we would much rather have a positive review as most all of them are, we do have times that we do not reach our goal of a positive guest experience. It is these reviews that we can improve our services and use these experiences to make sure that we do not have something like this occur to a future guest. As for your colleague, I personally spoke to him on four different occasions over his two days in Tampa and not only did we handle this unfortunate situation professionally, but resolved this issue with him to his satisfaction on a business level and more importantly a personal level. Customer loyalty and customer service are what seperate our hotel from other local hotels and it is something that we take great pride in on every level. Again, I do apologize for these circumstances and will do all that I can to assure that this does not occur to a future guest. If it should, we will again do everything possible as we did with your colleague to make sure not to lose their loyalty and to make them "whole" by any means possible. Safe travels and I hope that you give us the opportunity of staying with us on a future visit to Tampa!

Reviewed 11 February 2013

Great location and very nice staff. I stayed on a recent Saturday night in an even numbered room facing the Residence Inn. I did not experience any loud music from neighboring establishments as reported by a previous reviewer. There is some light music piped into the courtyard between the two hotels but is shut down at 11:00pm. Overall we were very pleased and would definitely return.

Stayed: February 2013
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your positive experience at our hotel. Reviews like yours are great to pass along to the staff. Safe travels and we hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 4 February 2013

Local dance club on the block rocks the neighborhood from 9PM until 2AM on Friday and Saturday nights. Even-numbered rooms facing the Residence Inn get blasted. Its unrelenting bass, drums and screaming vocals. Front desk says, "It'll be over at about 2." Miserable nights.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. I do apologize about the noise issue the bar across the street. We generally do not have any issues like you posted especially from other reviewers on-line. The bar is a "Martini Bar" so it is not known for loud music. I am unsure if this past weekend was a special event or some sort. I will look into it and not make sure that this does not happen again. Generally it is a great spot for a drink and the noise issue is a non-factor. I do apologize and appreciate you informing us about your experience. safe travels!

Reviewed 31 January 2013

My husband and I stayed for the weekend of Gasparilla as we are in one of the krewes. This is a great location since it is central to downtown and easy to get around. We knew the property would be sold out and very busy during this weekend, but you would not really have known it based on the hotel's preparation for the "invasion". The were plenty of front desk staff as well as valet staff. All of the staff were friendly, helpful and went out of their way to ensure we had a good stay.

The rooms are basic Courtyard rooms, so nothing fancy, but clean, spacious and comfortable. Our room had a mini refrigerator, which was useful for storing a few waters and beverages.

Some of the other reviews mentioned road noise. The hotel is located downtown. You have to expect that there will always be some level of noise when your hotel is in the middle of the city. The rooms themselves seem to be pretty well insulated as I did not hear any noise from adjoining rooms.

Thank you again to the staff of the Courtyard for their great service! We will definitely be back again next year for Gasparilla!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

I am so glad that you had a great experience at our hotel. We love our Gasparilla events here at the hotel and look forward each year to the parade. I will share with my staff your comments on the great service. We work hard to give great servive to all our guests. Safe travels and I hope to see you next January for Gasparilla 2014!