“Customer service needs a lot of work”

Courtyard Tampa Downtown
Ranked #64 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Booked this hotel based on recommendations from hotel tonight. Have book with hotel tonight before and never had a bad experience until now. The hotel's location is great, in the heart of downtown Tampa and within walking distance to many attractions.

I pulled up curbside and the valet and a couple other employees where just there standing. They didn't greet me or offered assistance with my luggage. I had multiple luggages and bags and they just stood by the door and watch me struggle unloading my car. I even had to get my own luggage trolley and they did not offer to help. When I asked about parking and valet, they offered I can park across the street at a public lot or at curbside meters, I told them I wanted to valet my car, the valet person didn't seem too enthused by that. Never met such rude valet personnel before, I wasn't acknowledged or even greeted.

It's good to note that receptionist personnel were pleasant and really helpful. Room was comfortable and great. I was excited to see that my room had a balcony with the city views. Walked out there and was caught by surprise by the structure of the balcony. It didn't seem safe, it was inclined and didn't feel sturdy with big visible cracks. I think management should check on the safety of their balconies.

Overall the stay was ok, Besides the bad customer service by valet and my concerns on the structural stability of their balcony. If you're on a budget and looking for a central location in Tampa this hotel is great for you. I personally won't stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank DmgRN
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback. I apologize that the valet attendents did not exhibit the level of service that we expect from them. As you can tell from most of the other comments from other review our entire staff normally recieves great service reviews. I am pleased that in your experience that the front desk staff did offer a much higher level of service. As for the balcony, I can assure you that they are in solid shape. The incline is due to the necessary drainage thanks to our Florida rains and these are inspected multiple times throughout the year. Again, thank you for your comments and we will share them with the team so we can use them for our improvement. Safe travels!

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Tampa Downtown

Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed here Labor Day weekend for a wedding. When I pulled up, I was greeted by Xavier who valeted my car and helped me to my room with luggage. Of all the valets I interacted with on my weekend stay, he was the only one that was professional; ran for my car, acknowledged me, wasn't on his phone. The other valets walked for my car(thru the hotel) and were on phones until I walked up to them with my keys or claim ticket.

The hotel has been renovated and is very nice. My room was clean, and aside from the phone in the room and the main door, everything worked properly. Only gripe I had was that housekeeping left my room door open( slightly cracked), unintentionally I'm sure, because the door would not open or close easily.

All in all a decent property. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

Made the reservation by their website with no problem at all. Got a discount too! The valet parking was the best thing this hotel has, for $14 a day for downtown is great!. Room was small and didn't look Luke I thought it will look according to the pics in the website. Had no refrigerator or microwave. The TV had some volume disperfection and the water pipes were clogged. ut is a beautiful hotel inside and outside. Overall: OK!

• Stayed: August 2013
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2013

Thank you so much for the positive review and the "great little hotel" comment! I can assure you that every single picture online is of our hotel. After reading your review I believe that you had indicated that it was the refrigerator that was not in your room and the reason for the comment. About a third of our rooms have refrigerators and unless requested you may get a room that does not come with a refrigerator. Other than the refrigerator all the rooms are the same. I apologize for the confusion. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again in the near future! Safe travels.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The valet parking makes sense because it costs just as much to self park across the street. There are some good places to eat and drink within walking distance. Our room was colorful, comfortable, clean and quiet. Great value and within walking distance to the convention center.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review and high rating. Thank you for the comments about the staff, be assured that we will pass them along. Thank you for the helpful parking tip. There is no "free" parking in downtown as is the case in most large cities. With that said, we are the one of the cheapest priced hotels for parking in Tampa and like to think we are a good value for that reason. Thank you again and safe travels!

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Was here on a mission trip with y churches youth group. Had 3 young ladies with me in one room and 2 others in another. We had plenty of room only thing is I wish they had a small refrigerator or something in room. The valets who parked my car were very friendly and helpful. The Starbucks lady who made my coffee was very nice and did a great job. Front nice staff very friendly and inviting.

Room Tip: If you do not let them park your car which cost per day it will be hard to find a close spot to park...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for the review. I will be happy to pass along the positive staff comments to the team. Thank you for the Starbucks comment. We are so happy to be offering Starbucks in the lobby! Safe travels.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I have been in 3 hotels in Tampa over the course of 2 weeks working on a personal case in the courts and the FEELING I had once I stepped into the hotel was incredible - Where I was dealing with a very sensative issue they incouraged me and made me feel as if I was the only customer and that alone makes me just to go back for no reason at all - Tracy and Momma Dee where like family once I left and the rest of the staff was genuine in wanting to serve. The outlook they have is great and makes you want to be around the hotel enjoying the ammenities. PS: We got my friends Daughter back in court.

Room Tip: Courtyard gives you a better chance of quiet - it is the city and every once in a while you will her...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for the great comments! I am happy to let Tracy and "Momma Dee" know they made such a great impression. We believe it is the staff that makes the hotel experience complete and it is our goal to make everyone feel like you did. We hope to see you back soon. Safe travels.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I was on their shuttle to Ybor when the manager called the driver to track me down. One of the valets noticed I left my flashers on. The manager offered to go to my room, get my keys, turn off the flashers and then return the keys and he did just that. Couldnt have asked for better customer service.

• Stayed: August 2013