“An alternative to Marriott full-service downtown Tampa hotel”

Courtyard Tampa Downtown
Ranked #59 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 23 March 2014

When I couldn't get into the full-service Marriott about a mile away (by the Convention Center) for the full time I wanted, I reserved a night here. They indicated that they have a complimentary shuttle that would provide transportation within a 2-mile radius, including going to the other Marriott to transfer the next day. I took the airport's Super Shuttle from the airport to the Courtyard, which was only $12 one way without having to stop at many other hotels along the way.

The room was fine - comfortable bed, clean, spacious enough. There's nothing of particular interest right around the hotel, though it's not far too from restaurants, convention center, etc. (I wouldn't walk it at night, though).
Their shuttle cannot be relied upon and if you don't have a car, it can frustrating getting around. I went through the front desk to request the shuttle and they said that they requested it and it would be 20 minutes' wait. I went down into the lobby in 15 minutes and waited another 15 minutes, only to learn that the shuttle came and went but never came into the lobby - one would need to stand out on the curb as the driver doesn't necessarily come in. They called again and were told another 20 minutes. By then I would miss a meeting, so I requested a taxi. Again, 20 minutes (& none hung around this hotel to hail.) Finally, a hotel staff member (bell boy) took pity on me and took me over (in his own car, I believe - it was parked out front). I had thought I would use the shuttle to go to dinner, etc., but I could see that I could easily get stuck waiting for a pickup, too.
The next morning, the shuttle was again unavailable to take me over to the other Marriott, so I took a taxi.
Breakfast was adequate. It's not automatically included in the room rate (I had reserved at a rate that included breakfast and fortunately brought a copy of the reservation showing that, because at the front desk they said my room didn't include it.) There's no restaurant, just a bar-type area where you can select from continental to one or 2 hot items - fairly limited. There's a very small "market" shop by the front desk where one can buy shelf items (toiletries, snack foods) though no gift shops, etc.
Fairly basic, providing a good night's sleep, though limited support services, no views (for $179/night, in my case) in February.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank D B
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank you so much for the feedback. I will look into the issue with the shuttle. Our shuttle is complimentary and runs in a two mile radius but really should not be more than 15-20 minutes depending on hown many seperate stops he is making. Sometimes if there is a special event going on at the arena traffice can cause some delay but I do appreciate you letting me know about your experience. With that said we are a great option should our convention Marriott be sold out. We are the next closest Marriott property and do a significant amount of convention related business. Again, thank you for your feedback and safe travels!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

First - we were scheduled to stay at the Residence Inn in Tampa....they could not accommodate us for the 2 nights previous to our reservations....so they sent us over to the Courtyard by Marriott, Downtown Tampa. They could accommodate us for the nights we needed. Yashica, who was on the desk was so very helpful and delightful! She made our stay very enjoyable and was their to help us with the Courtesy Shuttle and with Parking while we were on a 5-day Cruise! We enjoyed the Bistro (on site) - the food was fabulous!!! All in all I would give this facility a 5 Star rating!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the positive comments and I am so glad that you had a great stay with us. I will be happy to share your comments with Yasica and the rest of the team. We hope to see you back in Tampa again soon. Thank you and safe travels!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Just wanted to thank the staff at the Courtyard for the wonderful night's stay we had prior to our cruise out of Tampa.Front desk staff were amazing and very helpful and the hotel, although a bit older, was very well taken care of and in a great location. Rooms were immaculately clean and we cannot say more about the staff & facilities. The complimentary shuttle was great--brought/picked us up from the restaurant we went to that night and was great at getting us to the port authority terminal on time and helping us through the process. Great value for the money!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for the glowing remarks! Our team works hard to create the experience that you had during your stay at our hotel. As you mentioned we are a great option for both pre and post cruise stays. Not to mention the free shuttle to the cruise ship port that is located downtown and less than a mile from the hotel. I hope that you had an enjoyable cruise and we hope to see you back during your next trip to Tampa. Thank you and safe travels!

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Poor quality of rooms, really worn and dirty. Lobby is, Bar is nice for a Courtyard, Food in Cafe was OK - standard Courtyard, carpets in the hallways and in my room were very worn, friends of mine stayed in a lot better choices nearby...i.e Marriott, Hilton or Westin, but this was defintely a cheaper option...you get what you pay for, so do not plan to spend too much time in your room.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Bartosz S

I do apologize that your stay was not what you had expected, especially in your description of the property. Our hotel was recently renovated 18 months ago in both the guest rooms and all the public areas. As you can see from the other reviews that does not seem to be how our hotel has been characterized. With that said, we are a proud Marriott hotel and hope that our guest experience is positive. I am sorry that we did not convey that experience during your stay. I appreciate the feedback and we will work to ensure that future guests do not have that same experience. Safe travels!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We were in town to see the Bruins play Tampa in hockey and to visit some relatives. We arrived early but were able to check in. Hotel staff were friendly and efficient. The room was clean. I picked the hotel due to its proximity to the arena and it's price which was quite reasonable. Also being a Marriott you expect a certain level of quality and I was not disappointed. The hotel is in the downtown business district so there isn't a lot happening in the immediate area. There are some restaurants and bars but there is a free shuttle service that can take you to Ybor city or if you have a car it is a short ride away. One note on the shuttle we requested it to take us to the arena and were given a 20 minute time frame for it to arrive. 40 minutes later still no shuttle so we took a cab. Other then that I would stay here again

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for the positive review and the kind comments! I am pleased that you had a positive experience. I am unsure why the shuttle took so long. I do know that sometimes on the nights of events like the hocky game you were going to we get caught up in the same traffic as all those attending the game when we drop people off for the event. So I do apologize about that but again happy that your overall experience was very positive. Safe travels!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I wound up staying at the hotel due being at meeting right downtown. As such, the hotel was very well located for that purpose. However, I would not say that area of Tampa is brimming with restaurant choices and things to do. The hotel was nice and modern and the staff was good as well. One thing to be aware of, there is a train that goes right down the middle of the street one block up. ANd when it goes down the street it is LOUD. The latest I heard it was 10PM and I was on the phone with my wife and she could hear it without my being near the window.

Room Tip: Back of hotel not facing train tracks.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for the high rating! I apologize if the train disturbed you and that almost makes me wonder if possibly the window was not closed properly because we get little feedback on that issue. With that said, I do appreciate the high rating. As for the restuaramnts we have 17 within 3 blocks of the hotel and while that does include some fast food options we do have a good variety within close proximity to the hotel. Not to mention that our complimentary shuttle services a two mile radius and covers all the restuarant options in the downtown area!

Again, thank you for the positive review and safe travels! We hope to see you back at our location in the near future.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed here in December 2012 before and after a cruise for my cousins wedding. I chose this hotel because of the shuttle service and location to cruise terminal and downtown. The taxi ride from airport was not long @$20, the taxi driver knew exactly where the hotel was located. Once at the hotel I was greeted promptly and my luggage taken inside for me. Check in was a breeze, room was clean and ready before check-in time, the view was great and the front desk pointed me in the right direction to find some lunch within walking distance. After lunch I took a nap, quiet hotel even next to the busy street.
The shuttle service to the pier was excellent and prompt and upon return I just called the driver directly, he told us where to meet him at the pier and he was there within minutes! The shuttle also took us to Ybor which was a great part of the city to experience.
I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Great views if you stay in the front of the hotel but you are right on a main street.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Great comments. I am so glad that you enjoyed your hotel experince. We are a great place to stay for cruise passengers like your self and as you mentioned the complimentary hotel shuttle service can take you to the cruise port as well as any location in a two-mile radius. Thank you for the comments and I am happy to share them with the team. Hopefully we will see you again in the near future for another cruise. Safe travels!