“Maybe a good hotel, just bad timing”

Hampton Inn Tampa / Rocky Point - Airport
Ranked #41 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel in January, 2014 and walked into a lobby that was under major renovations (I had no idea they were doing this - nothing on their website).

They could not even check me in for 20 minutes because a worker cut one of the data lines, I had drywall dust all over my suit coat, and was asked twice to move my car because the construction trailer needed room in the very small parking lot.

There was even drywall work being done on my floor.

It would have been nice to have some prior warning of this because there are several other hotels in the immediate area that I would have switched to before I arrived.

The Head Manager was very apologetic and did everything he could to make up for the inconvenience.

The hotel itself is OK, probably will be better after all the remodeling.

It is located on an island between Tampa (minutes from the airport) and Clearwater, so very convenient.

There are several restaurants on the island and one right next door that was great (see my review of Bahama Breeze).

It is hard to rate how this hotel would be on a regular stay, seeing it and the staff was in such disarray during the construction.

It is doubtful I would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Daniel L, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa / Rocky Point - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

We want to once again apologize for the inconvenience our hotel renovation construction caused you. While we're looking forward to our property updates, we strive to ensure that our growing pains cause minimal disruptions to our guests. We sincerely hope we can invite you back again once our changes are complete.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

stayed here for back surgery-- staff is very accommodating, room sucked, shower had horrible caulking everywhere, carpet has bleach stains everywhere, tile in bathroom floor cracked, shower rod has been moved atleast 6 times and old mounting holes were still there, either filled with caulking and gravel or left hollow. tried to check out early, manager ( jerk) said he could not refund next two nights reservations because the parent company, Hilton, does not refund if you booked online, smiled sarcastically and asked if iwould like a free cookie......
air conditioner sounded like every screw was loose or missing, manager asked why we were using ac in cold weather......again,,,,he's a jerk
I love Hamptons, not this one!!!!!

Room Tip: stay else where
2  Thank George N
Daniel L, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa / Rocky Point - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Thank you for your honest feedback. We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience you had. As our guest, we want you to feel cared for and comfortable. We're reviewing your comments with our staff to ensure that cleanliness and customer service remain top focuses for us. Please feel free to contact us directly if you have any additional concerns.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

2 days of cold showers they are going through a renovation however after being told of the issue twice the service was unacceptable. If I had more time to relocate myself I would have I doubt I would stay at this location again, however they maybe better once the renovation is completed. My hope is their customer service is renovated as well

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
2  Thank Gregg K
Daniel L, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa / Rocky Point - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

We appreciate your flexibility as we undergo some necessary growing pains and apologize for the unfortunate experience regarding the water temperature. We will continue to be mindful of our guests' needs and comfort during our transition and apologize for the missteps in service. We hope we can invite you back once our changes are complete and gather your input.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

It started when we arrived from a late flight and there was no room to park. In the end had to put the car in an adjacent lot.

The lobby was a mess, as renovations were in progress for the breakfast area. There was no mention of that on the website, or when booking. Breakfast was in two adjacent bedrooms, with only a few tables available. The breakfast itself was a sorry affair.

The room itself was old fashioned and smelled musty. I was not able to bathe as the water came out of the tub faucet in little more than a dribble and was tepid.

I complained in the morning, but was told there was no manager on sites still have not heard anything from the main office.

I suggest you stay away from this property

Room Tip: Don't!!
2  Thank Torquay102010
Daniel L, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa / Rocky Point - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Thank you for staying with us. As we go through our renovation process, we try to minimize guest impact as much as possible. Obvoiusly this is a challenge when working on the lobby area. The lobby and breakfast areas should be completed very soon, and we hope you will come back to see the finished product.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

I have stayed at Hampton Inns all over the country and this hotel is by far in the worse condition of any I've stayed. Yes the hotel is under renovations (hasn't been renovated since the hotel opened, I believe I was told 1993) but the Hampton brand would be better served to shut this hotel down until all renovations are complete rather than market this as a "nominal" Hampton. If my stay with this Hampton was my very first stay with Hampton Inns, I'd never stay at another Hampton. The water pressure on the 4th floor was practically non-existent. When we tried turning on the shower no water came out. When the maintenance staff "repaired" the shower water was dribbling out of the shower head. The explanation...we need a better pump for the rooms on the 4th and 5th floors. Due to the renovation, breakfast dining was moved to an office off of the lobby area. The room held 4 or 5 tables but the tables appeared to be only cleaned off once a day. Both mornings during my stay at this hotel there were either too few tables for the number of people eating breakfast or the empty table had food left over from a previous diner. All in all, if you have certain expectations of the quality of Hampton Inns I think you'd be much happier staying somewhere else until the renovation is complete and the water pressure problem is resolved.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room until you have checked the water pressure.
2  Thank 4JShoe

Thank you for your feedback. The renovations to the lobby are almost completed, and improvements to our public areas should be finished soon as well. We appreciate your patience during our remodel.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed 2 nights for trip to Outback Bowl. Location was excellent for ease in getting to/from the stadium. Renovations under way & definitely needed. Room was clean, beds comfortable but there is a definite need for renovation. Staff friendly, efficient & helpful. Not the best Hampton Inn that we have stayed in, but not the worst. Would return for another trip to Tampa.

1  Thank tmvh
Daniel L, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa / Rocky Point - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Renovations have started and we are excited about all the new changes. Hope you will come stay with us once we recive our new look.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

The rooms here probably need some updating, but it was fine for a night. The tv had some issues, but again, we were staying just one night and then flying out of Tampa. I have stayed at another hotel on Rocky Point Drive and like the location and proximity to the airport.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank raeumlich

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback.