“the worst travel experience ever, awful”

Extended Stay America - Tampa - Airport - Memorial Hwy.
Ranked #95 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Boston, Massachusetts
“the worst travel experience ever, awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Awful. Arrived here on a prepaid room reservation through a major travel site. I was told the only room available was a smoking room. Unacceptable. I was told to go outside and call my travel site for remedy...at which time the front desk clerk closed the desk and locked the door.

When I returned I was greeted by the "night clerk" who did not speak, or pretended not to speak, english. I was again informed there was no other room but this smoking room. I had no choice but to take the room I'd prepaid for, or pay for another room elsewhere.
I spent a sleepless night in this disgusting hellhole. the worst room ever, with cigarrette burns on the tub, vanity, kitchenette countertops, nighttables. Ashes floating in the toilet. Apparently everyone in florida smokes, and it's nasty as hell. I slept with all fans on, bathroom and kitchen, windows open and the AC cranking. took the quilt and the blanket off the bed and thew them in the closet because they reeked of cig smell. We moved to a new hotel the next day, checked in early and took a shower, and had to have our clothes laundered to get the stench of smoke out of them.
Took me weeks of complaining to get a refund from travel site.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else?
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank schorert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
jacksonville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

As a long term guest, I have observed many changes at this hotel. The location is next to a business park, which is convenient for me. The hotel has undergone some renovations and updates during the time that I have been here. Along with the good, there has been some bad changes. The hotel no longer offers bagels for the grab and go breakfast. Two or three days a week there are fresh oranges and apples (although oranges usually run out after a day or so and they aren't replaced until a new order comes in the following week.) The hotel staff complains that guests are taking too many oranges and there was even a sign placed beside the breakfast area on Friday stating the "area was under surveillance". There have been mornings where muffins and granola bars were gone and food was not replaced by the staff for the guests that haven't had breakfast. Seems they want guests to pay for the costs of breakfast (breakfast is included in the price of the room) yet they do not place much importance on that part of the service.
Power seems to go off every few weeks; with no explanation from staff. Cable often goes out with rain showers. Hallways smell musky and aren't vacuumed often (although the carpet is beautiful). There is a college beside the hotel and during the day and evening, there are often students smoking in the back of the hotel parking lot.
The staff are very friendly and always willing to provide restaurant recommendations or greet a guest. For the value and location this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Tampa - Airport - Memorial Hwy., responded to this review, 6 August 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am sorry to hear that our Grab and Go Breakfast was not stocked properly during your stay. To prevent this from happening again, my team will do their best to make sure we do not run out of breakfast items. I hope that you will contact me directly, at tap@extendedstay.com should you wish to discuss this further. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. We look forward to being able to better your stay in the future.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Came to Tampa for husbands birthday weekend. Hotel location was fabulous, 15 min from everywhere, comedy club, Ybor City, beach, downtown. We were very impressed with our studio room. It was spacious, clean & comfortable. Staff was top notch & accommodating. Also there was a flier for a pizza place in the room so we ordered our first nite there, excellent NY style pizza & wings for a great price & they deliver rite to room! The hotel has full menu room service too however we didn't order from them. That was the only thing that seemed kinda pricey. Otherwise we would highly recommend Extended Stay America on Memorial Hwy! Very pleasurable experience!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carrie H
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Tampa - Airport - Memorial Hwy., responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I'm so pleased to hear that your stay was fabulous. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travel to Tampa for your husbands birthday.
Huntington Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

This is a wonderful clean place to stay. The front desk staff (Mike) was an absolute wonderful and helpful person. This extended stay is in a secluded area, so have transportation to go and eat. There isn't much around the hotel. They can arrange for airport pick up and for a small price be able to deliver you to the docks for the cruise lines. I will definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Make sure you have transportation, especially if you wish to eat.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chuck S
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to thank you for the nice comments you made about the staff. I'm so pleased to hear he was helpful to your needs. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

Not only did it feel home-like staff was absolutely wonderful. Mike and Cesar were exceptional in every aspect of the stay. It was clean and quiet. The front desk was SUPER nice and accommodating. It was a phenomenal stay and the price was excellent!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank audih2011
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Tampa - Airport - Memorial Hwy., responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that associates and our entire team made your stay with us very comfortable, and that the property was quiet and clean. Once more, thank you for posting your review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

I just stayed at this hotel and I must say it is very, very, very close to the airport. After you receive your bags just go to the information desk right by the exit doors near the baggage carousels and they will call the hotel to send a complimentary shuttle van to pick you up.

The hotel is located in a business park, so nothing to see, eat or do in the area. However, there is a 7-11 within a 5-8 minute walk and the area is extremely safe.

The room I stayed in was very large but smelled of old wet mildew. Since I was staying just 1 night I didn't make a "stink" about it to the front-desk. The bed was very comfortable but the pillows looked and felt old and beaten. The TV was flat screen and had a good amount of channels. The bathroom was large but had many stains on the floor, sinks and tubs.

The front desk seemed to answer all of my questions but lacked any smile and enthusiasm.

The WiFi was free and ran smoothly and fast.

For the very cheap price, location and overall quality, I cannot complain about my stay. Just don't accept a Sheraton/Marriott style room.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. The situation you described regarding the bath room cleanliness is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are addressing the situation immediately so this does not happen again. Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. Please contact me, at tap@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Vacationed in Tampa June 28 thru July 4. The first 4 nights were spent at the Extended Stay of America on Memorial Drive. It rained constantly during my visit, so I spent more time than I had planned in the hotel. This property is located in a business park. It is close to the airport and major freeways. The property is well-kept and the staff is friendly and helpful. My room was clean and well lit. The bed was comfortable and the noise was minimum. (I was placed in a room on the first floor). The bathroom was cleaner than many I've seen in more expensive hotels). I enjoyed having a full sized refrigerator and the other amenities of a kitchenette. ( Be aware: No pots, pans or skillets are provided). My room had 2 plates, 2 glasses, 2 cups and saucers and flatware. The room had a nice, flat screen, LG TV. This hotel has a laundry and fitness room. I didn't use the laundry facility. The fitness room has 3 pieces of equipment that probably could be replaced with newer equipment. However, the treadmill and stationary bike did work. There is also a flat screen tv in the fitness room. I didn't really require much assistance from the staff, but in all my encounters with them they were friendly, patient and helpful. Check in and check out was simple and easy. I received a great rate on this hotel and it was worth every penny and more! The manager was wonderful. He was very forgiving of a mistake that I made during my stay. I would choose this Extended Stayl again as well as recommend it to family and friends!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Tampa - Airport - Memorial Hwy., responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Ann - Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. It's great to hear that you were able to enjoy our amenities and our friendly staff. I'm also glad you liked your room and took advantage of our fully equipped kitchens. However, I want to apologize for not having pots and pans available at check-in. I am working with our team to ensure this does not happen again.