Quality Inn & Suites Near Fairgrounds Ybor City
US$211
US$181
Travelocity
  • Pool
All reviewsybor cityfront deskthe breakfast areachoice hotelscruise portcruise packagepool areafree breakfastclose to downtowntampa arearooms were very cleanwould stay here againyogurtshuttle servicebusch gardensking roomthe hard rock casino
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 March 2011

I booked this hotel based on the reviews that I read on Priceline.com, which were all very good. I was still a bit skeptical because the price was so much lower than other hotels in the area. I was very pleasantly surprised. The hotel was really nice. We had a room with 2 queen beds which was very comfortable and clean. Probably the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in. The staff was very accomodating. We stayed the night before our cruise and the night that our cruise returned. They let us check-in early both days and even let us park our car for free for the 5 days we were on the cruise. The free breakfast is very good and filling. Front desk staff (Vanessa and Sean?) were very nice and helpful with anything we needed, including recommending restaurants and taxi services. Even housekeeping were very friendly. Any time you passed someone in the hall, you were greeted by them. The outdoor pool was great...always clean and well-stocked with towels. Other amenities we enjoyed was free internet access, gym and laundry servies ($1.50 per wash, $1.50 per dry). We would definately stay in this hotel again if in the area and definately recommend to anyone else staying in the area.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 March 2011

Overall the rooms were good but there were a few things that made this location unpleasent. First of all it is in a bad location with the freeway on one side and a scary neighborhood on the other. There were homeless people asking for money across the street the same ones all day and all night. Another problem we had was loud music played at the pool right outside our window until 10:30 at night. When we called to ask them to turn it down or off they simply said that other guests had requested it stay on while they were talking rather loudly by the pool (that was open past posted hours I might add). It was frustrating because we wanted some quiet to read and sleep and just relax. The staff was not helpful at all and were not friendly. Manager was not available for talking when requested.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 March 2011

Excellent Hotel, staff and breakfast. Comfortable rooms and relatively quiet. Only drawback getting to and from the hotel could require driving through some questionable areas.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2011

This hotel was everything I could have asked for during my stay and is a great value. The employees were friendly and responsive to requests, the property is spotlessly clean both inside and out, my room was quiet, comfortable and the wi-fi worked every single time at a good speed. I'm a female traveler who was alone and I felt 100% safe and satisfied the entire time.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 February 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel from February 21-23, 2011 in room 217. Overall we very much enjoyed our stay and found that the hotel provided great value. We paid about $71.00 per night, including fees and taxes.

Check-in only took about 1 minute and the female front desk employee we dealt with was very polite (I forgot her name). The room was of a decent size and very clean. A refrigerator was provided. The carpets in the hallways seemed new, though they were not completely finished remodeling the entire hallway. The king-sized bed was very comfortable with lots of pillows. The AC worked well, but was a little noisy. The room did not have a sofa chair, but it did have a desk and desk chair. The room came with a nice flatscreen television with a decent channel selection (4 HBO channels). One thing I liked about the television was that the volume could not be raised above a certain level. That would prevent inconsiderate neighbors from blasting their televisions and waking everyone up. The free wireless worked well.

The bathroom was a little on the small side, though it was nicely remodeled with new floor tiling and granite counter-type walls. The towels were fresh and large. The amenities were standard, but nothing special. A hairdryer was provided.

We ate their free continental breakfast, which was decent, but nothing to write home about. They had fruit drinks, waffle mixes, toast, bagels, coffee, tea, yogurt, oranges, and apples and a clean dining area with a lot of tables. You could also pick up a complimentary copy of USA Today or The Wall Street Journal.

I was particularly impressed with the outdoor pool. Most outdoor hotel pools in the winter months of Florida are not very warm despite a hotel’s claim that they are “heated.” This pool was definitely warm enough to swim in during mid-February, which I did. They had a range of top music songs from the 80’s to present playing on loudspeakers.

Please note that the hotel is difficult to find. It seems to be hidden behind the Days Inn. You need to take a left turn once you pass the Shell gas station if you're coming from the direction of I-4. Parking was never a problem. The hotel had visible security at night, which I liked. The hotel is about a 7-10 minute drive from downtown Tampa and the Hard Rock Casino in the other direction.

My stay was not perfect however. I asked for a late check-out and even offered to pay extra to stay in my room for a few more hours, but they told me I had to be a Choice Hotels member to get this privilege. Consequently I had to wait for my wife for over 6 hours in the lobby of the hotel with a newborn baby after I checked out. However, I had the opportunity to observe many staff members during this time and they were all very pleasant to the guests.

Overall this is a great hotel to stay in if you’re not the type that prefers luxuries. It has a very high Tripadvisor rating because you get a lot in return for the affordable price you pay. Some improvements would be to have a later check out time (11:00 am seems too early) and a more guest-friendly late check-out policy. A hot tub next to the pool would have been great.

Marc T. Hardekopf