Quality Inn & Suites Near Fairgrounds Ybor City
Ranked #21 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
Worthington, Ohio
“Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

We found this hotel on the Quality Inn website. When I did the Google search and looked at the surrounding areas, I got very concerned. However when we arrived I knew I had found a nice place. Yes, the area is not the best, but it is not like I was worried about my safety. There are some basic restaurants near the hotel and the nearby carryout was very useful for a quick soda or chips. Now back to the hotel, it is spotless inside and the staff was very helpful. We had a two queen bed room with a fridge. it was clean and roomy. The bathroom was clean and roomy. We also needed to do some laundry and the laundry room was helpful. It was small and a little on the warm side, but still extremely helpful on a long Florida vacation. I love this place and would definately stay again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Gradlass

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Hebrew first
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

This Quality Inn is located on 18th Avenue close to I-4 next to Days Inn.

We wanted to gamble at the Seminole Hard Rock and originally planned on staying there, but H.R. was almost booked up and we would have had to pay about three times as much for a room there. We drove around and found this Quality Inn.

Much cheaper than H.R. and better than expected. We had a king size bedroom with adjoining living room. Two flat screen t.v's (one in each room), two large bathrooms, two closets, coffee maker, small refridge, hair dryers. Large window in each room. Free parking right outside hotel. One or two minor stains on the carpet, but no big deal. Everything was actually very clean. Staff was helpful and friendly.

We took I-4 east for 5 minute drive to Orient exit off of the I-4 to get to the Seminole Hard Rock and I-4 West to Columbus exit to get back to our hotel. This Quality Inn is also very close to the Ybor City area (about a 10 minute drive) and about a 20 minute drive to Tropicana Field if you want to go to a Tampa Bay Rays or Tampa Bucs game.

No onsite restaurant, but several places to eat within a couple of blocks of hotel. They do offer breakfast, but we are night owls, stayed late at the Hard Rock gambling and slept late each morning, so we never got to enjoy the breakfast, spa, fitness area or the pool, however, the pool looked pretty nice. No smoking rooms, so you have to go outside, but plenty of doors leading to outside, so it was not really a problem.

Hotel is not really in a fabulous area of town, but we had no worries about security and it was so convenient to the Hard Rock and Ybor that we enjoyed going both places several times during our stay. We also went to a Rays game. Lots to do within a 5-20 minute drive. For the convenience, the price and the size of the rooms... we would stay again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rockdrums
Lenexa, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

I stayed at this hotel and was very happy with it. When I read the reviews there wasn't much that was said about this hotel since it is pretty new. I was worried about staying here since there wasn't much to base an opinion off of and to get a good feel of this hotel. When I first walked in the girl was a little frazzled at the desk because she had three people including me waiting and her computer system was down. I told her I was in a hurry and she put me into a king bed even though we had paid for two double beds. I didn't complain because we wanted to stay in a King room but was in a hurry and hit the wrong key in the computer. She let us stay in this room even though we didn't pay for the upgrade. We ended up staying for 4 nights. The room itself is very large, and very clean. We had the pool right outside our window which was a nice view compared to some of the other hotels we stayed in which gave us a parking lot view. The excercise room was just a couple doors down, and open 24 hours. The excercise room was okay, but when I was running on the treadmill it squeeked so loud I could barely hear the television. It also had an eliptical, and a weight machine, and a bike. The televisions in the room are nice flat screens. The room had a nice desk in it, and two large mirrors. The bathroom was a good size, and the tub was deep, and reminded us of a hot tub without the jets. The pool outside was very nice. They play music for the people outside, and it is fenced in. The water was very nice, and not to cold, or to hot. It was almost like bath water. It was nice to swim in, and there is tons of lounge chairs, and tables with umbrellas. Overall a very good experience.

Only dissapointment was the night staff blonde lady who was very rude to us. She kept saying my credit card wouldn't go threw when I knew there was money on it because I used it at the store the next day with no problem. I think there computers need to be upgraded. However, she got very sassy with me, and was very rude. I ended up having to call the choice hotels and make a reservation over the phone with the same credit card this lady couldn't get to work. It was good because I saved more money this way.

Room Tip: Call choice hotels reservations and ask them if they have a better rate, or coupons in the free book...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Roanoke, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

I don't have anything bad to say about this property (except that it's totally non-smoking). Staff couldn't have been friendlier, room was spacious and squeaky clean, there was a large selection of TV channels and, once I had figured out how to get there, I found the location to be very convenient to I-4 and only about 10 minutes to Ybor City/downtown. The casino and fairgrounds are only a few miles away in the other direction on I-4. My rate was reasonable and, while the surrounding area is not the greatest, I never felt threatened. The free breakfast, in addition to the usual suspects, offered eggs and sausage.

As for the previous review of this property that complained about the prevelance of liquor stores in the area--well Bunky, that's Florida.

Room Tip: Stay on the side away from the pool and/or I-4.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

everything is very good , friendly staff, clean, fuully equipeted rooms, nice breakfast - after a short bargin at the front desk I got a discount from initial quat of $72 down to $60

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2011

This hotel was very nice, even much nicer than I expected. We were very pleasantly surpirsed. The lobby was standard - similar to other chains. But, the room was HUGE (I think we had a handicap accessible room), very clean, and well furnished/equipped. The staff was very nice. The continental breakfast was nothing fancy, but did the trick. The fitness room was average. I am not very familiar with the area, but the hotel seems to be well situated. It's not in walking distance to Ybor City, but a few miles drive, and located on/near the main highway. I would absolutely stay here again! It was great value, and very nice room given the cost.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2011

We spent 5 nights here in late April. The room was nice. The beds were comfortable and we especially like the duvet bed covers. The breakfast was good and the staff were helpful. The pool was a little loud and the 10:00pm pool closing was not enforced, but with the A/C on did not bother us. Many have commented on the neighborhood, but the hotel is well insulated from the neighborhood and we felt safe and secure at all times. It was a very easy drive to and from Busch/Adventure Island daily. We have put this hotel as our #1 for Tampa stays. Salem's Gyros & Subs is just down the street. For fast food, their buffalo wings and fried seafood platters were very good.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family