“Great hotel!! Excellent service!!!! Kids don't want to leave here! Only minutes to Busch Gardens and Adventure Island!!”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #96 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Okay, where should I start. First off if you are going to stay on the weekend you might want to make reservations, which I did not. I just thought with so many hotels in the area they would not be sold out. Our plans were to spend the day in Clearwater get a room there then head to Tampa the next morning for a few days a Busch Gardens and Adventure Island. When I saw the places in Clearwater lets just say I wasn't about to stay at any of them!!!! Yes there are resorts there but I wasn't looking to spend over $200 to sleep! When we arrived at the Clarion, the nice young lady informed me there were no rooms available with double beds.... yep just my luck I thought. I have never stayed anywhere else in Tampa but the Clarion and wasn't sure where to stay, I have 2 kids and didn't want to just stay anywhere. Jennifer, I think her name was, started calling around to see what was available in the area hotels that she would recommend. It seemed like almost everything was booked up. There was a Republican convention going on. Finally, I said we would just take King size room and we would all just have to manage sleeping together. Sure, I could have gone some where else and had a double room. Jennifer was able to find us something but I just feel safe at the Clarion and this is where I wanted to stay. Before I knew it she was on the phone with housekeeping having a roll away bed put in a room. We took the kids down the street for ice cream and when we arrived to our room there was the roll away bed, made and ready for one of the kids to climb into. To my surprise, both of the kids fit in it just fine. Housekeeping also brought us extra towels without having to be asked. The next night we were supposed to move to a double room next to the pool but instead decided to just keep the one we were in, it was comfortable and we already had out stuff in there so why move it? Breakfast is good, I would prefer to make my own waffles but I am not going to complain about that. Most places that have the waffle maker don't have all the things they do here.... sausage, hash browns, eggs, grits, oatmeal, toast, mini muffins, fresh fruit and of course cereal, coffee, milk and juice and its all included free! The pool area is wonderful, what a way to relax after a long day at the park!!! Thank you Jennifer for taking such good care of us and we will see you again in November!!!!

Room Tip: I have stayed in the pool side rooms and on the outside, both are quiet and spacious.
1  Thank michelle u

Reviewed 30 July 2012

Best place ever! The hotel is older but this was the cleanest place I have ever stayed and no matter the time of night or day, there was staff working round the clock on the grounds, etc.. to keep the grounds and entire hotel maintained. The pool is awesome and my son just loved it. It is close to all kinds of shopping and food and most anything you would want to do in Tampa. The ONLY complaint I have and it is not really a complaint, is that the signs (several of them) around the pool state NO ALCOHOL or GLASS BEVERAGES on the pool grounds. There was one night were several adults were not following this rule. Go figure, adults can act like kids too. No one from the staff said anything about it. Probably to avoid contention. If there is anyway the staff can better crack down on this rule (because 1 broken glass bottle would have meant glass cutting a kid or person's foot) then they would be getting 5 stars from us, because we will be back.

Room Tip: room by pool was fun and convenient
1  Thank jana h
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Second time this month staying. The kids love to come. We go to Busch Gardens for the day and go back to the hotel for the kids to enjoy the kids pool. The kids enjoy the pirate ship. The staff is friendly and even have a security guard patrolling. Plenty of restaurants nearby. Would definately recommend for anybody with children. We wil be coming back.

Room Tip: Great hotel for people with children
Reviewed 22 July 2012

The room I was given was very dirty: stuff on the bathroom floor, crud on the icebucket, stains on the floor and upholstered chair, A/C not working, and a damp moldy smell. I asked to be switched to a different room and was given one slightly better, but still not acceptable. I checked out the next morning and found a different place to stay. This hotel is old and not well maintained. Don't be fooled by the pretty courtyard and swimming pools. Perhaps some of the rooms have been remodeled leading to the good reviews here; ask to see the room before you check in. I wish I had.

Reviewed 22 July 2012

We just stayed the night here at the clarion hotel and I have to say to the low price it met my expectations. The kids want to come back again and so does the wife. We went to Lowry Zoo and figure to stay the night. The hotel is right down the street from Busch Gardens and has shuttles so not to deal with parking. The mall is across the street with a dollar tree as well as CVS next door. The buffet breakfast that's free was really good and had some really good coffee. All and all you can't go wrong here. The kids love the Pirate ship.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank CJ14006
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I chose the Clarion because it was a good rate for a convenient location. It's close to Busch Gardens, Yuengling brewery, and the University of South Florida- among other things like shopping and restaurants. It's also conveniently located between the two major highways for ease of access around the city and it isn't on the shady Busch Blvd. side where most of the Busch Gardens hotels are located.

The service was fantastic. Jennifer was particularly friendly and helpful at the front desk. The room was clean, but old so there is some indication of wear and tear (paint chipped on the door, visible caulking where repairs were made, etc.). For the price, I'd be a brat to complain about that, especially since the room was clean and the cleaning staff was always around to tidy up or change the sheets and towels.

The pool area is nice and would be great for families with the kid's play pool. It was a little crowded, but it's probably because so many families are on vacation in the summer. I was in a poolside room and it was a little loud when lots of people were in the room or would walk by. I'd probably request a room away from the pool next time.

The bathroom isn't very big, but again, for what was paid, it was was fine and I didn't have any issues. The sink is outside of the bathroom which is convenient for families getting ready to head to the theme parks.

There's free wi-fi available and breakfast in the morning until 10.

Room Tip: Getting a poolside room may sound convenient, but it's loud. Try to get on the first floor. I di...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I love this place. The Beds are exstremly comfortable. Pool is heated, and My kids had a Blact in the Tprateship Water Playground. the Breakfast is Great as well!!