“great value”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #95 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 20 September 2013

we stayed at the clarion for the weekend to go to the zoo which is very close to the hotel. the hotel needs updating but if you are out and about town and just sleeping and spending a little time in there its not a big deal. if you are traveling with kids in the arra this hotel is the spot for you. the pool is worth the standerd rooms. a great play area that entertained the kids all day

Reviewed 15 September 2013

$59.99 for the room. To be honest, I've seen worse where I paid much more. When reading the reviews I expected a lot worse. The room is pretty tired, but, it's got a fridge, microwave, coffee maker with complimentary coffee and toiletries. The price includes a breakfast buffet which featured scrambled eggs, sausage, home fries, grits, oatmeal, muffins, toast, juice and coffee. It is served up by a very nice chef who greeted everyone with a hearty good morning. It's not fancy food, but, it was good enough to get your day started and it's included in the low room price. Back to the room. It's tired and worn. The carpet is tired and worn. The mattress was soft and springy, some of the worse I've ever experienced. If you're remotely picky about a mattress, this is going to be a big problem. The bed was made nicely and the sheets were clean. The pillows were pretty good. The sink has a newer granite top and did it's job. The bathtub was tired and had been re-caulked countless times. The shower faucet was awful. The toilet looked pretty clean. The hotel is right on the main drag (Fowler Street) and is surrounded by any type of store you need. There is a TGI Fridays right on site that you can walk to. You can walk directly across the street to a super market or dozens of restaurants. I didn't see anybody that looked sketchy anywhere. The front desk folks were VERY friendly and quick to get us checked in. Don't put your key by your cell phone or it deactivates it we were warned. The hotel is located very close to Busch Gardens and the University of South Florida and other key local destinations. Nice pool.
So, if you are coming to town for a short stay and are just looking for a place to put your head at night; for the price, the Clarion can't be beat. If you are picky and tend to like the nicer things in life, drive on by.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Was a decent hotel but does needs some updating. First of all last time I was at this hotel it was back in 2004 when it was a Holiday Inn, I was 14 years old at the time. Doesn't look like it changed too much except they got rid of one of the onsite restaurants & the onsite bar. That and the gift shop sorta like the ones they have at hospitals. The TV's also don't have the On Demand programs and movie feature or the built in playstations that you payed for by the hour. No big deal the Playstation only had a 3 game lineup anyways. Also the Tv's have a 30 channel lineup compared to the previous 13. You don't usually go to a hotel for the TV features to begin with anyways.

Stayed there to go to a Depeche Mode concert on the night of September the 14th. The room was clean and the breakfast was good. I also loved the pool and just to overall appearance of the lobby. However there is a few issues that I feel I should bring up.

Cigerette Burn holes in the sheets in a non-smoking room
Electrical Socket hanging out of wall
Broken and Removed tiles from the hotel pool
Used soap left on top of shower rail
Lid on coffee pot has tendency to spill even when its on tight. I just removed lid and it worked fine.
Hallway outside room was very dirty. There was a dirty plate left out of someones room, nasty.

Breakfast and good and consisted of Grits, Eggs, Sausage and Home Fries. As well as Muffins, Cereals, Milk, Juice, Coffee and Toast. Just like a breakfast at a restaurant.

Place is good for staying the night, the price is also very reasonable considering I payed $53 for the room and just a little over $60 with tax. The hotel was a reflagged Holiday Inn and I'm just hoping the hotel becoming a Clarion Inn franchise and lower room rate wasn't just an excuse to let the property go to dumps. Hotel needs work!

Room Tip: Remove lid from coffee maker.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2013

had a great time. excellent location. staff was nice and very helpful. would visit there again and take family. also easy to reach I-75 and I-4 will be going back to Tampa soon for business and take in some of the sites. because of its amenities I will be taking my grandson with me who will just LOVE the pool .

Room Tip: for families stay on ground floor facing pool
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Hotel staff is very friendly and accommodating to not just our wants but our needs. The pool is very nice and attracts both adults and kids. The location is convenient and walking distance to University of South Florida, the mall, Shriner Hospital, Moffitt Cancer Center and close to Busch Garden and Adventure island,

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are quieter, as the pool is very nice and inviting to adults and kids.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This hotel is a dump - plain and simple. It's my own fault... I didn't research it enough before booking. I loved the price and went for it. Lesson learned!! You truly get what you pay for!!
We came here for 2 nights because we were taking our kids to Busch Gardens. I honestly dreaded going back to the hotel at night when we were done at the park. It was dirty feeling, old, moldy bathroom, horrible old beds, and roaches in the bathroom. To add insult to injury, when we got back to our room at 9 pm, we walk in and see that housekeeping never came to make up the room! Unmade beds, trashcans full and used towels in the bathroom. We go down to the lobby with our tired children to speak to the front desk about this and their only response is "sorry but housekeeping isn't here". I ask what they can do for us and I'm told "I can get you towels". By the way, the woman at the front desk was completely unprofessional and gave me attitude in response to my upset over the situation.
Bottom line - do yourself a favor and spend an extra $15 per night to stay somewhere else. Like I said, this place is a DUMP!!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Every three months I stay at this Clarion Hotel as I have to spend a day at Moffitt Cancer Center so I travel the day before to get much needed rest. The staff is so friendly and caring I could not imagine staying anywhere else. The pool area is very inviting if not to swim but just to sit and relax. I have recommended this hotel to many and no one has been disappointed.

Room Tip: all rooms I have stayed in are wonderful, poolside is great when you have kids. I like the corner ro...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo