“We had a good time.”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #90 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We loved the pool area which is probably the only good thing but it was great. i wish the kiddie pool was heated like the adult pool as we have an eight month old. The room was affordable but there was only one empty outlet and three of us with phones. in order to charge them or the laptop we had to unplug the lights.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Nancy V, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you for your review of our hotel. It makes us very happy that you enjoyed our pool area. Would like to welcome you back to stay the next time your traveling needs bring you back to our area as we are in the midst of renovations and would love you to see what we accomplished. Again thanks for the review.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

My family and I stayed towards the end of February to go to Busch Gardens. The Staff were VERY accommodating and courteous. Breakfast is free with the room, and was very good. The hotel is close to EVERYTHING and you could walk to get anything you need as there are several supermarkets, restaurants, drug stores, and even a mall across the street. My boys had a blast in the pool. It was very convenient and at a very fair price. The decor in the room was a bit outdated but it was clean.

I understand where some people in past reviews have complained about the condition of the rooms but I think they should give this hotel a second try, as I noticed them doing a lot of renovations and upgrades during my stay. Painting, steam cleaning, landscaping parking lot resurfacing. The maintenance guys were putting in new mattresses and flat screen T.V.'s the morning that I checked out. I believe they are making a change for the better in that regard and am curious to return and see how it looks when everything is finished.

We have paid a lot more money at nearby hotels when we have visited the area and honestly, the buildings may have been newer, but the atmosphere was hardly as friendly and family oriented. We'll be back in the next couple months for Busch Gardens again. Clarion is where we will be staying!

Room Tip: If you are not satisfied with anything, just ask the staff. They will move mountains to make you ha...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 778InternationalC
Nancy V, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. We are certainly glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Friends had recommended this ``hotel`` to us, and the rates were low.
Arrived to find the room disgusting. The carpet was heavily soiled, lamp broken, shower filthy and rusty. The air was musty, damp and very smoky.
My family felt unsafe, nauseous and had a hard time even looking at the horrible décor.
When I brought this up with the front desk they realized that they had put us in a smoking room (we requested non-smoking) and promptly offered us one of their ``executive suites``. While room was certainly better, it was still damp, incredibly cramped (they essentially jammed a sofa bed into the standard room and called it a suite) and just flat out ugly. My wife, my 5 year-old and 13 year-old did not want to stay a moment in these rooms.

Front desk did refund us what we had paid and we left with no bad feelings.
That was December 28, 2013.

On February 12, 2014 our credit card was charged for the full 3 night stay which we had booked.

Immediately I contacted the hotel. They apologized and after getting bounced around to a couple people, `Randy` told me he would take care of it and email the credit card slip later that day.

A few days later there was no email and no refund pending or otherwise on my credit card`s website. I called again and was more or less told that on that day there was no one there would could help me and that I would hear back in a couple days. Additionally I was told that there was no way I would be able to see the refund yet (although my credit card provider`s website lets me see pending transactions in nearly realtime) and that if Randy said it was done, it must have been.

Literally moments later Randy emailed me a credit card slip that showed a refund for one of the three nights that they charged us for.

I responded to him immediately and have not heard back from him or anyone else yet, despite being promised.

Zero stars if I could.
Would never return.

Room Tip: Rooms at other hotels are always better
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CDNfamilytravels
Nancy V, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

“I recently received a copy of your review of the Clarion Tampa. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

It’s not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one. I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Choice brand location in the future.”

Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

We had an amazing time in Tampa visiting our family from Ohio. The lobby and pool were beautiful and our kids loved it. The rooms were good for the price, but our A/C didn't work right and the carpets were stained. The three gentlemen working the evening shift (one guy with red hair, one with glasses and one tall wearing a tie) were very helpful. When we came up the next day to talk to the manager, when he did come out of his office from the back (after 20 minutes) he said there wasn't really anything he could do. I would give this hotel 3/5...because the breakfast (and the lady running it) was great. Other than the manager (Randall I think...a bit unhelpful) our stay was great!

Stayed: February 2014

Thank you for your review about your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback and sharing your experience while being our guest. It's forums like this one the that lets us know how we are doing and what we can do to improve guest experience. I am truly sorry for any issues you had at our property. Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Just staying here yesterday, and book extend the week for my business trip. Front desk are friendly, and the room is nice, flat screen TV, it looks like the rooms are update recently. will come back. . .. .

Room Tip: Ask for indoor rooms,
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review about your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback and sharing your experience while being our guest. It's forums like this one the that lets us know how we are doing and what we can do to improve guest experience. Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Arrived with my boyfriend after a full day for both of us at Busch Garden's on Nov. 16. Unfortunately - unknown to us- there was an error with our reservation with Kayak. Even though I showed the hotel clerk proof I had paid for and previously booked our room (even handed her the credit card I used), she refused to check us in and suggested I call Kayak to sort things out myself. After an hour of going between Kayak, a third booking agency, and the incompetent clerk- who did not offer any assistance in sorting out the reservation but rather seemed more interested in flirting with the security guard- I finally managed to get things worked out. I should add that the booking company emphasized that the error was a simple one that the clerk should have been able to figure out herself instead of having a customer call on her behalf. The clerk refused to upgrade us, and when we finally arrived exhausted in our room there were no comforters on the bed, the toilet leaked and the tub drain was clogged. On top of that, Internet was incredibly slow. Breakfast was a cholesterol-filled, greasy mess. Don't stay here if you value customer service or decent accommodations.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erica R
Jonathan E, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Erica R,

I sincerely apologize for the recent unfortunately unpleasant stay. I would like to let you know that we took into account everything you said and we are working everyday to ensure nothing like this happens again. i would love for you to give us a second chance so we would be able to show how your stay should have been from the beginning. I appreciate your comments as it helps us become a better hotel as we are working on daily. Again, i apologize for all the inconveniences and i hope to see you again.

Jonathan and the staff from Clarion hotel and Conference center at Busch gardens

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Had a wonderful time there. We were greeted upon arrival (vanentines day) with candy for my wife. The pool was heated and beautiful. The room was clean and neat. The only thing negative was they would not honor a valid coupon from discount hotels flyer. But it was still fairly priced and included a nice hot breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Nancy V, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014