“Nice property in Progress”

Holiday Inn Express Tampa - Rocky Point Island
Ranked #59 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Despite the renovations and cleaning of the building I had a wonderful two night stay at this property, And regardless of some of the reviews I had no problems at all. Upon arrival I was greeted by the front desk clerk despite her helping someone already. The check in process went smoothly. I was assigned a room in the front of the property and realized the beautiful waterway was in the rear. I called the front desk immediately to see if they a had a room available in the rear. She did, and I was reassigned promptly. I didn't get her name (evening shift), but thanks!! The room was great. You can tell it's an older property, but despite that everything was clean and in working order. No it wasn't as plush as the other Holiday Inn Express I've stayed in, but for the age of the property I thought it was clean. Every now and then you can hear water running through the pipes in the wall but I wasn't bothered by that. Breakfast was wonderful also. I'm sure when all the renovations and cleaning is done this property will shine. Thanks for the wonderful stay.

Room Tip: No tips but I like the water view in the rear of the property.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Scott W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa - Rocky Point Island, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thank you so much for your comments out the Holiday Inn Express & Suites! We really appreciate the feedback and the staff were so excited you mentioned them. The entire staff takes great pride in our hotel and I’m thrilled to know that our guests can see that in their actions!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

My husband and I are IHG platinum members and usually have nothing but good things to say about most IHG hotels, however this was awful from the start. We had booked online for a 4 night stay. Due to weather issues we didn't arrive on time, I called the hotel and advised them that we would be in at 8:00 the next morning but wanted to keep our reservation as we would be staying in the airport the night before and would want to sleep when we arrived. I was told no problem.

When we arrived there was renovations going on everywhere. Parking was very limited,as the were blocked off for some reason, windows were covered with plastic and the pool was blocked off. When we went to check in, we were told VERY quickly that check in was 3:00 and there was no room for us. I explained that I had been charged for a room starting the day before, and had called so there should be a room. After checking again, we were given a room and on our way to it passed the fitness room which was also closed due to renovations.

We asked if we could transfer our stay to another holiday inn and said we would pay any additional cost so that we could have a pool/fitness room. I was told I could only do this if I wanted to pay for another hotel and that I could call the manger on Monday and see if he would refund me for the stay. We had paid in advance so would be out 565.00 if the manager didnt do this.

I was not going to take the chance of being out that kind of money so we stayed. I wish that I had just paid and left. We arrived on Sat am and checked out on Tuesday am, in this time, our sheets were not changed and we were not given towels or even toliet paper unless we went down to the desk to ask for it.

I can understand being busy and understaffed but to not have a room cleaned for 4 days is unacceptable. We even put the trash outside the door of our room when it was to full for the room.

Would never stay here or send anyone to this hotel.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank k h
Scott W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa - Rocky Point Island, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

We are sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay. We apologize for the issues you encountered with your check-in. We are currently going through a complete renovation to improve our property and hope you will consider giving us a second chance if you return to the area. I would like to speak to you personally to resolve your experience. Please contact me directly at gm@rockypoint.com or 813-287-8585 at your convenience.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We started our 18 night holiday in The Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point and it was our best overall stay. The desk and breakfast staff were very helpful and friendly, the rooms large and clean, the breakfast varied and well stocked, the make your own pancake machine was great, the wi fi the best of all of our hotels and whiles talk room over looking the water would have been nice the room we had at the front was quiet. Location is good for the airport and for getting around the area.

Room Tip: Top floor at the front is very quiet
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Scott W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa - Rocky Point Island, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Thank you for your kind words. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we can’t wait to have you join us again soon.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I normally really enjoy Holiday Inn Express hotels. Never had a bad experience since the brand reinvented itself as a high end, moderately priced chain. This location, however, is in dire need of help

Room Tip: Ask if their renovation is complete
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank abesinVT

Thank you for writing a review about our hotel property. I apologize for not meeting your expectations. Our hotel is being completely renovated. I do hope you will give us another opportunity in the future so we can exceed your expectations when you return. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Located in a nice location. Pleasant helpful staff. Lovely clean large room. Really good breakfast with great variety. Would really recommend this hotel. Stayed for five nights and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Overlooking the bay would be nice.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Scott W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa - Rocky Point Island, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you for your review and taking the time to compliment us on our accommodations, amenities and helpful staff. We are grateful for your patronage and hope we can host you again when you return to Tampa in the future.
Junelle Samblanet,GM

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We have used Rocky Point Holiday Inn for our pre-cruise hotel twice already and have found it to be an excellent spot for access to everything around Tampa, St. Pete and Clearwater. Staff was friendly and courteous.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 11Traveler54
Scott W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa - Rocky Point Island, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and accommodating staff. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stayed here overnight on the front and back of our 7-day NCL cruise, and highly recommend this hotel for anyone doing the same. Took the shuttle from the airport, then to and from the cruise terminal; it was fast and prompt each time. The hot breakfast was very good; it had a good choice of items, and provides a good start to a long day of travelling. The rooms are showing their age, but they were well stocked, comfortable beds, and quiet. The kids enjoyed a quick swim in the pool, which was fairly cool, but considering we came from -30 that morning, was quite alright with them.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Derek M
Scott W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa - Rocky Point Island, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Junelle Samblanet