“Worst customer service ever!”

Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Ybor Historic District
Ranked #23 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
“Worst customer service ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

Rude, completely unacceptable staff. Made up lies to justify their actions, added fees for services not rendered, AVOID!

• Stayed January 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

A standard small hotel but very well done and maintained in a safe environment. One can stay here and safely walk the three to six short blocks to the restaurants and bars in the funky historic Ybor City area. A comfortable lobby with a small bar and the hotel serves a good hot or cold breakfast. A good choice when visiting locals near Ybor City.

RGinTally

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
San Jose, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

Great location in Ybor.
Restaurant and bar staff were amazing. Really great service there.
That said: Front desk staff was rude and unfriendly. Co-workers I was traveling with reported same. The room I requested was not available, and it was shrugged off. HHonors card? I presented mine at check in and the desk person rolled her eyes. Desk staff scowled at guests as they walked past the desk!
We were evacuated in the middle of the night due to water 30 minutes after the fire alarm had gone off and we had been allowed back in(due to the water). Hotel staff banged on doors shouting "it's not safe! take the stairs!" They should have told us to pack, since we found we had to once everyone in the hotel was in the lobby. Once downstairs, the unfriendly front desk staff was very unfriendly - no announcements, no instructions unless asked. Crowd control, announcements, something, anything, would have been helpful.
We were put up in a hotel in downtown in early morning - that hotel is the Embassy by the Convention Center. Much nicer property and top-notch staff. And the room I wanted? Got it.

Room Tip: I was told there is at least one suite on the 4th. Otherwise, rooms tend to be on the small side.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank rrruby
cayman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

I'd to come to Tampa to let my son settle into school. We spent a few days at a pleasant but soulless airport hotel. For the final 2 days , we moved to this hotel. It hit us like a breath of fresh air - a beautifully furnished room and generally a very pleasant tropical garden decor. The room captured the quintessential Southern charm , redolent of New Orleans and it was a pleasure to hang out in the room or just lie in the extremely welcoming beds.

The location was excellent for the attractions of Ybor City which were never more than 5 minutes away. I caught live music at Green Iguana and JJ's on the 2 nights.

The price was relatively inexpensive , the staff were great and I couldn't be more enthusiastic about this hotel. I will make a point of returning

Room Tip: At front of hotel, looking out over gardens and car park
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

Guess this review is both about the Hotel and the district. First I had been to Ybor City about 10 years ago and it was a virbrant lively night spot, we went back there specifically for a night out in the old town. The area has certainly gone down hill, all of the night life has moved down market big style. The Hotel itself is handy enough (for what little there is to see), however the good points end here. The recepiton area proves to be tired, with the breakfast area right next to you making it quite smelly. The lifts take an age to move, best use the stairs... ugly and in much need of decoration. The room, spacious enough, and stinking of cigarette smoke (we specifically requested a non-smoking room). Staff were pleasant enough, no complaints there, but at £80 a night room only, you can do a whole lot better, and besides there really isn't any need to pay a premium to be located near or in Ybor City, go somewhere else instead.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

Ehat a awesome stay I did not expect so much from this hotel I'll be back again and again!

• Stayed December 2011
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

Two weeks ago, my husband and I stayed here for a night after coming back from our cruise trip. My husband actually complimented me by saying I picked a good hotel. The price was not too bad for one night stay (less than $100). They provided a free shuttle van to pick us up from the cruise port. We kinda needed to wait longer than we expected but we understood. There were 3 cruise ships docked on the same day at the same time. They didn't provide a free shuttle van to the airport though but the front desk staff helped us to find a taxi and it costs $25 (flat rate). I was really pleased with the staff's hospitality. They were nice and helpful. They let us to check in early like noon. What I love about this place was their location. I always wanted to stay in Ybor City area, I heard mixed review about that neighborhood and decided to find a room in the area. HGI is really close to every things you need; coffee shop, museum, bars, entertainments, mini marts, restaurants and even the city car station. We took city car to go to Tampa downtown. It costed $5/ person/ all day.
The room was clean and comfortable. It had lots of space and free wifi.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple