Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Ybor Historic District
US$111
US$205
US$152
  • Restaurant
Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay(Tampa)
US$178
US$189
US$159
  • Pool
All reviewsgreat locationtwo blockswalking distancerestaurants and barsnight lifecolumbia restaurantnice hotelper nightcomfortable roompleasant staybreakfast buffetwould highly recommend this hotelfront desk staffconvention centercruise portfree shuttlehgi
Reviewed 17 February 2014

First, I'll state that the room (418) was large and rather well cleaned. The parking at $9 a day squeezes you into very narrow parking spaces. Make sure to check your car for dings and dents.

I've stayed at numerous Hiltons and have found the brand to be rather good. However, a word to the wise; if you are with children and planning on staying here or expect a good night's rest here during a weekend - avoid this Hilton at all costs. It seems on the weekends, the management and security lose control. If you're a drunk, enjoy being disruptive and loud.....well this is the place where you'll fit right in.

My first call to the front desk was at about 8:30 pm regarding the women yelling, cheering and such from the drinking game going on next door. The front desk stated they would call the offending room. No result, and the loud yelling and cursing continued. At 9 pm, I left my room to verify the room number (416) as the offending room and was not amused to see decorations of male genital strung on the door. I’m not a prude, but I don’t need my child seeing that kind of trash. I took a photo, but didn’t want to post the photo here and offend others……I’ll be sending it to Hilton’s Corporate Management.

I went downstairs to the front desk, and reported (again) the cursing, yelling and such from that room as well as the genital decorations visible to everyone in the hallway. The security guard left to go warn the people in that room. Meanwhile the bar in the lobby was full of people - drunk and loud.

The front desk staff gave me the line, “if they are reported again, we’ll have them leave”. So I went back to my room, riding in the elevator where I was the only person not holding/drinking from beer bottles. “Really nice family hotel”, is what I was thinking.

The guard was waiting for the elevator to go back downstairs when I exited onto the 4th floor. He assured me, that he’d warned them. Getting back to my room, I notice the happy male genital decorations still there on the door to 416. By this time I realize that management and security either do not care or are completely incapable in dealing with the issue. The only relief gained was when my room air conditioner/heater cycled on, it reminded me of standing on a flight line near a jet aircraft, and it was loud enough to nearly drown out the noise from the next room.

The room 416 noise continued until finally the group left around 10pm. I was hoping they’d been removed from the hotel, I checked, and the decorations were still there. Sadly, the group merely went out to drink even more and returned to their room at about 1am to continue the party until about 3:30am in the morning when one of the women started yelling that so-and-so “is going to be sick”. Finally at about 4am they got quiet. I guess it’s more difficult for them to party and puke at the same time.

At 7am, room 416 is back to yelling and such. Impressive stamina, but by now I just want to get my family away from this mess of a hotel. At 9am, I leave the room, and yes, the happy male genitals are still there on the door. For more than 12 hours, management allowed this display to be visible!

When I arrive at the front desk, I ask to speak with a manager or have their manager’s phone number. Lo and behold, one of the ladies (Sarah Campbell) at the front desk from last night was a manager(!) and she’s on duty again.

She stated that Ybor City is known as a party spot and some guests go and party there. I’m not concerned where they party in Ybor City, it becomes an issue for me when they disrupt other quests in the hotel, and my family, and management/security at Hilton permits this behavior.

Another guest also at the front desk was a gentleman from room 214, he witnessed the security guard trying to “warn” the people in room 216 and the security guard was “told off” by the group of partying women. The guard, defeated, turned and walked away. How safe do you feel with that security?

Sarah Campbell did reverse my room charges, so other that a sleepless night for my family and I it didn’t financially cost me. However, I will never consider staying here again and I’ll hesitate staying at another Hilton. That coming from a Hilton Honors member……..

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank SFC31B
Edward C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Ybor Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

You and I had just spoke yesterday and I was surprised to open my email to find a copy of your trip advisor cooments! On the phone you commended Sarah and our staff on the way they handled this situation so I am perplexed on even how to answer except to quote you from yesterdays conversation. "Sarah handled herself in a professional manner and I did not want this to go unnoticed" were your exact words. I would certainly not allow this type of behavior from any of my guests and we did act to protocol. While we cannot and will not monitor every action by our guests reported subjects of this nature do not get taken lightly and there was a final warning given. It is against our policy to allow any guest to post anything on their doors in any nature and this will be used as a training tool for our staff and we apologized profusely to you that morning (Sarah) and on our conversation yesterday we did the same. We again apologize and we are sorry for your experience.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We had not requested it but were given a handicapped room and were amazed at the size. We were the farthest from the elevator and although we knew the place was fully booked we never heard any noise from anywhere. The bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Edward C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Ybor Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Thank you for your review of our property and I am truly glad that it could not have been better. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

We decided to stay in historic Tampa Ybor the day before we were departing on our cruise and the Hilton Garden Inn did not disappoint. We had an early flight and arrived to the hotel around 10:00 am. They had a room ready for us in about 20 minutes which was greatly appreciated. We rested a bit and then headed out to walk around Ybor. We were on a quiet street close to all the Ybor attractions. The room was clean and spacious for our family of four and all our luggage. After dinner we headed to the fitness center to get a workout in for our daughter's physical therapy. The hotel provided a free shuttle to our cruise in the morning. Overall, we would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Edward C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Ybor Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

When I read reviews of our property (and others) I try to read them as if I was reading a review for the first time so that I can get a true sense of where the reviewer is coming from, I was truly impressed on how you were able to describe our hotel, the area and our service in just a few sentences. Thank you so much and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Hotel was comfortable with an excellent breakfast option. Room was large and wired for internet. It was conveniently located one block away from the main artery through Ybor City. Restaurants, bars, entertainment options, shopping, etc. are only a block away. Not necessary to drive as you can walk, take the bus, or a streetcar. Would stary in this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your review of our property and for mentioning some specifics, namely our restaurant, we have worked hard to gather comments from travelers such as yourself and I am glad we are being noticed. I thank you for mentioning the area and the great dining options that we have. we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 2 February 2014

I was in the Tampa area on business. The hotel and staff were quite fine for my purposes. The hotel was very convenient to all of the restaurants in the Ybor City section of Tampa. The staff was very accomodating.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your review and giving it such a pleasant title! I was most pleased to read it and to read that our staff made a difference in your stay. We hope to see you again.