“Quality Items Beware!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Tampa, Florida
“Quality Items Beware!”
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I recently stayed at this branch on 3/25-26. I was initially turned off by the fact that I requested a king size bed and they over booked, subjecting me to a standard queen double. The rooms are typical, no fridge or microwave, no "luxuries". Therefore I'm not surprised that the hotel has claimed my 100+ dollar CHI flat iron for its own. Probably as an "upgrade" in room 334! You may wonder why I’m perturbed about a flat iron. I could say that as a natural hair, African American woman, I've grown to be quite sensitive and selective on the products I purchase in a multi-billion dollar industry. Or I could say how I’ve only owned the styling utensil for 2 weeks and have yet to make good use of my investment. I'm more disturbed by the simple fact that it was taken and there is no sense of justice for my now shattered sense of security when staying here. There is no way to record a complaint against the individual that cleaned my room. I cannot "manage" to get in contact with the general manager, nor AGM at any random hour of the day. I will be contacting corporate because I'd hate to have left something worth over.... oh wait, I did.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank D P
JMalu, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Brandon, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
D P,

I wanted to thank you for your review of your stay with the Courtyard back in March. I have recently taken over this property and this is excellent feedback for me to take back to my team so we can address any future issues before they even arise. I cannot empathize enough with the frustration you felt after leaving your flat iron behind and not being able to recover it.

I can assure you that there will be steps put in place so we can minimize the chances of this happening in the future to anyone. It is from valuable feedback such as this, that we are able to improve for our guests. I thank you!

We hope, if your travels bring you back to the Tampa/Brandon area, you will afford us the opportunity to show you our changes and give you the experience you not only expect, but deserve.

Jasmine Malu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 14 March 2013

First off, I do agree that the renovation here was well done. The rooms have a contemporary look and are very clean. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Staffers at the Bistro went out of their way to get ice for me. Housekeeping left some friendly and funny notes and were gracious in responding to our request for extra towels. Many have written favorable reviews about this hotel, and my expectations were reasonably high. I have to confess I was disappointed.

What I don't get, most of all, is the location. Yes it's reasonably convenient to several restaurants and Brandon. But the hotel itself sits in a grove of trees with access via a dead end street, and a turn off, with every sense that you are pulling into a campground rather than a three star hotel. Returning late at night, as I did several times, had a very funky feel. It is (almost) spring, so they deserve the benefit of the doubt, but the grounds could be much nicer and more inviting. Perhaps some will feel the hotel sits in a private location - I could not help but feel the hotel had the poorest location of the several places nearby. As a Fairfield Inn sits very close - almost too close - the shared parking lot felt very small.

The laundry room had a single washer and dryer. I had planned to rely on it, but could not get anywhere close to it on a Saturday afternoon. The room heat and air conditioning did not work well (tricky to tell if it was on or off, on heat or A/C) and the thermostat was off by a good 6 or 7 degrees. Some have commented favorably about the Bistro. I found it much too basic and much too bland - the scrambled eggs, bacon and potatoes looked and tasted as if they could have come from McDonalds. Nothing wrong with that per se, but I expected more.

I spend quite a bit of time in Tampa and have not yet found a hotel that meets all of my expectations in terms of location, room quality, facilities, and meals. Sadly, this hotel isn't it. I'll have to continue to look. If all you want is a clean room for a night or two, this hotel will meet your needs. But there is nothing special about this hotel that will draw you back repeatedly.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SLCTraveler84111
Casey W, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Brandon, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
SLCTraveler84111,
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with us. It is not often that we have guests not enjoy their stay with us and we apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations. We will do our best to fix the issues you listed and we will become a better hotel and team. Without honest feedback like yours it is hard for us to know what we are doing right or wrong. I appreciate you giving us the opportunity to improve! We wish you luck in your search for the perfect hotel in Tampa and we would love the chance to host you again.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 March 2013

This was our second stay at The Courtyard by Marriott in Brandon. We will certainly stay there again. The rooms are decorated in a contemporary theme and very clean and comfortable. We love the Bistro for breakfast and dinner. Our only regret this time was that due to the weather our flight was delayed and by the time we got to Brandon it was after 10:00 pm and the Bistro was closed. However, there was a little food alcove in the lobby where we were able to.purchase a sandwich and bottle of wine.

• Stayed March 2013
Casey W, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Brandon, responded to this review, 10 March 2013
Kathryn L,
Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience at our hotel. We are so thrilled that you chose to stay with us again and that you had a great stay. The Bistro is a great addition to our hotel and we hear from many guests who enjoy having the convenient option for food and drinks in the lobby. We are about to roll out some menu changes for Spring and the new recipes are delicious! Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 3 March 2013

Hotel was clean updated and staff was friendly. Great location. Would stay here again if I have to get hotel in this area. Pool looked clean. Food smelled good yet I didn't eat there. Overall satisfied with this hotel

• Stayed March 2013
Casey W, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Brandon, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Dcfdoll,
We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We LOVE that you enjoyed your stay! Maybe next time you will have the time to sample our Bistro menu or ejoy a delicious Starbucks coffee. We hope to become your home away from home here in Tampa.

Casey and the Couryard Team
Sebring, Florida
Reviewed 3 March 2013

We've stayed at many Marriott properties but this one was outstanding. The decor was very nice and our room was almost spotless. We appreciated the efficient, free WIFi. We requested a quiet room and were nicely accommodated. Even though the motel appeared to be full, we never heard any noise all night. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. Every staff member we came in contact with was extremely friendly and welcoming. It is obvious that management runs a tight ship. The location of this property is convenient for shopping and dining out. The front desk clerk provided us with a listing of area restaurants and a map. We highly recommend this Courtyard and will stay there again when in the area.

Room Tip: We always request a room on an upper level floor away from elevators and ice machines.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Nancy M,
Thank you for such a nice review! We are lucky to have such a nice new hotel to work with and I am so lucky to have a grat staff that really cares about our guests. When you pu tour staff together with our renovated hotel, it makes for a great stay. We hope to see you for your future trips to Tampa. If you ever need anything plese reach out and let us know.

Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We had been driving all day and did not have a reservation in advance of our arrival. We were warmly greeted and were given the last room in the Hotel, after having been to the 5 other's within a mile of this one. It was a wonderful stay!! Very clean room, we were in the Executive Sweet, moderately priced. The Lobby was very nice and the food area was wonderful! Would definitely stay there again on our next trip to town!

Room Tip: It was very clean. All the staff were friendly and courteous!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Casey W, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Brandon, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Amy M.,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us! The room you stayed in is a great set up for families or our business travelers. The executive suite has a good amount extra space with mini refrigerator and microwave. I have to say, we are lucky that you chose us for your stay and we can't wait to see you again.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Been to this hotel before, during, and after the refurb. Service has always been stellar, quality has gotten much better. Since the refurb the cleanliness and modern feel is outstanding! Ill be staying here more often in the future!

• Stayed February 2013
Casey W, General Manager at Courtyard Tampa Brandon, responded to this review, 24 February 2013
Frequenttravels76,

It is great to hear such great feedback from a guest that experienced our hotel prior to our recent renovation. As you mentioned the quality of our hotel has improved greatly over the past year. The guest rooms are clean and fresh, our Bistro restaurant serves great food and delicious Starbucks coffee, and our staff is the best around.

We look forward to your next visit.

Casey and the Courtyard Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tampa
Fairfield Inn & Suites Tampa Brandon
Homewood Suites Tampa Brandon
SpringHill Suites Tampa Brandon
La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa Brandon Regency Park
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tampa/Brandon
Comfort Suites Tampa / Brandon

Been to Courtyard Tampa Brandon? Share your experiences!