“Good Chinese Food In A Nice Environment”
Review of Liang's Bistro

Liang's Bistro
Ranked #155 of 2,405 Restaurants in Tampa
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
New Albany
“Good Chinese Food In A Nice Environment”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

At the recommendation of my parents while visiting Tampa recently we decided to drop in here after our trip to Busch Gardens. The place closed at 10pm, and we arrived at 9:40. Our server was gracious and allowed us to be seated and eat. We started off with the crispy cheese puffs (aka crab rangoons) which were average fair, but the dipping sauce was nice. Tang and heat, love the sweet heat combo! My boyfriend went for the General Tso's chicken (white meat only is $1 extra FYI) and the chunks of chicken were massive!! I asked our server for her recommendation and she advised the Mongolian Beef. Tons of onions, a bit under-cooked for my liking, but the meat was THE most tender I've ever had for this particular dish anywhere I've been. The beef literally melted in your mouth.

A few cons: The staff was mopping while we ate.. Mopped all around us. I also went into the bathroom, and the staff member (male) saw me walk in, but he still walked in after i was in the bathroom a few minutes later and mopped. That was a bit startling and couldn't believe he did that. I had to knock them off a star for that alone...

The price was a bit steep, but the amount of food and quality of food you get was worth it overall. We definitely had to go boxes! The ambiance was nice and our server was great. The manager on duty was very polite to guests who were coming in for pick up.

A plus is definitely the drive through lane like at a fast food restaurant if you are picking up your food... We will definitely be back next time we are in Florida.

• Visited December 2012

Tampa, FL
“Skip this if you can”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

While running errands (read: a Home Depot trip without kids) my husband and I decided to try this place. We've passed it often and a non-trip advisor review was promising.

The building is small. It's set off the road next to a fast food joint and looks like, at one time, the building was used for a fast food joint as well. The atmosphere was fair but not fantastic. It was dimly lit and the staff was courteous. Not overly so, but courteous nonetheless.

We decided to go with lettuce wraps as an appetizer. It smelled good when it was brought to the table. There were 4 leaves of iceberg lettuce. The filling, veggie for us, was only fair. The only thing we could taste was the sauce. It was too, too strong. Way too strong. I love the various flavors of any Asian cuisine but this was over the top. Still, it was edible, likely because we'd skipped lunch and were starving.

My husband's entree was General Tsao's chicken. He said it was different with a heavy vinegar flavor. I noticed that it smelled strongly of vinegar but didn't taste it. I ordered something called Vietnamese Lemongrass with tofu. The menu said that it was broccoli, asparagus, onion and peppers. There was no asparagus, perhaps three florets of broccoli and the lemongrass itself was ill prepared. It was wood-like. I've had lemongrass before and I understand that while not soft and tender, it should not be akin to chewing splinters. The flavor of the dish was bland, even though it was touted as being spicy.

The portions were a good size and we ended up boxing it up, thinking the kids might like it and that we were just off in our taste.

However, later that evening, we both began feeling unwell. We both ended up being nauseous and dealing with upset stomachs for two days after eating here. We've both heard about the stereotypical Chinese restaurant that makes folks sick but have never encountered it, until now.

The cost was too high as well. We felt the cost was high before even tasting the food. Of course, any price is too much to pay for poor food that makes one ill.

• Visited August 2012
Florida Panhandle, Florida
“Upscale Chinese In a Former Fast-Food Setting”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Upscale Liang's more plebeian roots are only detected by the drive-thru window. This location used to be a fast food feeder but now its dining room has been transformed into an upscale setting with nice furnishings, ambient lighting and soothing music. The food isn't fast-food quality anymore either: everything tastes exceptionally fresh, and the portions are very generous. Favorite dishes include the lettuce wrap appetizers, and a very fine version of that classic, General Tsao's chicken. Made with fresh chicken, either dark or white meat. Very crispy and not oversauced. Another favorite is the Pad Thai. On the last visit the service was exceptionally slow and shorthanded. But this happens everywhere. It won't cloud my opinion of the exceptional food at Liang's.

1 Thank mibenco
“Tampa's best chinese by a mile”
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Such a great place. We have gone several times and tried many different dishes and they have all been fantastic. Their food is not oily at all like most chinese. The Liangs chicken is our favorite!

“Awesome food”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The chicken fried rice and sesame chicken are tough to beat... finger- licking great! Service could be a little better, but when the tummy is happy- nothing else matters!