“New Experience”

Cuisines: Jamaican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 22 April 2014

As Snow Birds with a place in tarpon Springs, we have driven by this place any number of times. Finally stopped in for dinner and could kick myself for not stopping sooner. Had my first goat..really good ...in a yellow curry sauce. Wife had an equally good brown chicken stew. Spicy with spice and not heat. Stopped back a few days later for lunch. Portions seemed just as large as dinner. Had the pork shoulder and wife a curry chicken. One other customer insisted I try one of his order of chicken wings. Baked rather than fried, fall-off-the-bone tender and delicious. I'm sorry to say we will be heading north soon and won't have the opportunity to eat here tip next year.

1  Thank RogerA301

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Such great food, don;t be scared that they are located next to a pawn shop. Chicken curry and brown chicken stew are to die for. Portions are big and staff (father and son) were super helpful and friendly. Will definitely return.

1  Thank ajg14
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We drove past this place for years, thinking it was a take-out place, and saying that we had to stop in and try it, sometime. Well, we finally did. With four of our friends. First off, The Jerk Center has a good-sized dining room. The menu is basic, Jamaican cuisine. Jerk chicken or pork, curried dishes, beef or pork patties and, my friend's favorite, coco bread. The patties are made in little pasties, and if you order a sandwich, you'll get two dinner rolls. Yes, they served sliders before they were fashionable.

Pretend you're in Jamaica. It's not fancy, it's good. I think Dad's in the kitchen, and brothers are taking orders and serving. Everyone is friendly and will answer any questions about the menu, including, "What's in this?"
The food is spicy, as in flavorful, and you can order it hot or mild. Don't read mild as meaning bland, it's anything but. Beverages are by the bottle, with some Jamaican specialties, too.

The Jerk Center has been here for four years, and they do a good take-out business, too. Ask for a menu before you leave.

On the down side, I have to agree with other comments about the rest rooms. Avoid them if you can.

1  Thank TomInNPR
Reviewed 10 September 2013

...cos every little thing's gonna be alright. If you like reggae music and jerk chicken this is the place for you. If you like jerk pork you're gonna think you died and went to heaven. Jamaican hospitality, great food, cold beer and service with a big smile. Worth a detour.

1  Thank thefin1949
Reviewed 19 August 2013

After my last review (a bad one over lunch), the owner asked me to take another taste and I did this past weekend. We had ox tails and jerk chicken. The ox tails were good and wholesome. Not quite as tasty as I've had in the past, but really not bad at all. The chicken was delicious, but very dry. It tasted as though it had been smoked over hickory which I don't think is traditional Jamaican style and it took away from the delicious jerk seasoning. We had their rum cake for desert. It reminded me of old english Christmas cake. . . aged properly for a few months and drenched in alcohol. I really loved this cake, but if you're used to rum cake like you get out of the store, you'll find this wonderfully homey homemade recipe an acquired taste.

The bathroom is disgusting. . . don't wash your hands in there, you'll feel dirtier walking out after washing. And, although very friendly and nice staff, I really didn't appreciate having to look at his underwear while eating. . . pull your damned pants up!

1  Thank Timbotim