“Plaka's!”

Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Great gyro and souvlaki! I'm a local and we enjoy going to Plaka for "Greek fast food!" Plaka is in the Sponge Docks so the walk to and from the restaurant is always wonderful.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Back in 1975 there was a little sign hanging in front of a hole in the wall restaurant, "The Greek answer to the Big Mac" (or something close to that). My father couldn't resist, and so Plaka's and the gyro entered my life. I now live in California, but every visit to see my Mom, Dad passed away two years ago, isn't complete without a stop at Plaka's. Makes me think, June 2015 will be 40 years of having Plaka's in my life…..anniversary gyros anyone?

1  Thank ginaigel
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Where do I start... My boyfriend and I were visiting on vacation and were looking for good Greek food decided to go to plaka because of the good reviews boy what a mistake!!!! After parking the car I suggested that we eat at Hellas next door they were packed and my boyfriend convinced me to eat at plaka because that's what we had previously decided. Walking into plaka it was completely empty now I know why... We were greeted and seated promptly with a drunken mess of an employee who could barely keep our order right he convinced us to get the gyro that they make because they claim to make their own meat in my opinion if they do then they should stop better yet if they do its from all the leftover meat from all the other places out of the dumpster. Out of no where the waitress finally appeared asking if we were ok and bringing us napkins before our food even came she must have been high or just different. Finally our food came out and it was huge but horrible to be honest I would rather eat can dog food than the place best comparison for future families is this is the chum bucket from sponge bob and Hellas is the krusty krab. Even better the owner who was drunk is from Poland makes the experience even worse!!!! After one bite and seeing many people walk by snickering we knew we had been got..we asked for boxes to feed it to our dog then decided we wouldn't even put him threw the agony. the waitress had come to clean up after sticking her finger iny daughters cup asked us if we wanted it to go we paid and left just to walk across the street and throw it away. This is the worst place I have ever eaten in my life....... I would rather have food poisoning for a week then be forced to eat here again

3  Thank pinkmonkey614
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Our first clue should have been the place was nearly empty on Valentine's Day, when all other restaurants in the area were bustling and packed.
We ordered calamari - 10-15 minutes later the server comes out and says they are out. Not sure why it too that long to figure out they were out.
I paid almost $15 fora souvlaki/gyro combo dinner platter, and it was atrocious. The plate came out, a small pile of overcooked pork that was supposed to be souvlaki, and a few ounces of overcooked, dry gyro meat. "Complimented" by a few pita wedges, and white rice with bland tzatziki sauce poured over it. No garnish, nothing else. The salad was mushy and bland too, but the feta cheese made it edible for me.
The bonus was biting into uncooked rice kernels. My wife ordered just souvlaki - it was as miserable a plate as mine was, she couldn't eat the sad salad they served.

The cooks were bored, apparently, and were wresting with each other, going outside to chat, etc. Maybe 3 other tables in the entire restaurant and the food took much too long to come out. One of the waitresses even had to chase the cook down across the street. The kitchen is disgusting too.

They have severe customer service and cleanliness issues. The server was nice, and the bread was good - other than that, a complete waste of time and money. There are too many other fine restaurants in the immediate area - avoid Plaka at all costs.

2  Thank SuperSix231
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My family travels two hours to this restaurant at least twice a year. We love the food and the staff. We love to get the gyros of course but we also love the greek salad, the cheese pita sandwich, the potato salad is to die for. I can't remember all the names of the food because it is authentic greek food. This place seems small from the outside and not flashy but it is the best on the street. We have tried other places and we keep coming back to this restaurant. You will love it. The food is great and the prices are reasonable.