“Disappointed - beautiful property & location has great potential if they would do some minor upgrades.”

Atlantic Bay Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Tavernier
Weston, Florida
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I have stayed at many hotels & resorts in Tavernier/Islamorada over the last ten years and have never experienced NO ICE for guests! Some minor upgrades would make such a difference. New beds, better quality bedding, upgrade damaged sinks & toilets, old A/C, & bigger TV. This location has tremendous potential. We stayed in an efficiency room (#11) with a full kitchen which was a great size. Separate living area and nice size bathroom. They have fresh paint on the walls but the toilet, sink & vanity need to be replaced. Bedding was cheap. Bare box spring is unnecessarily unsightly - just put a fitted sheet on it! The outdated A/C did not cool down the room, especially the living room area. Pool is ok but needs some TLC too (coping is crumbling).
I booked our stay for a Saturday check in and Monday check out. Our friends arrived on Thursday. We were supposed to be next door to them. I called on Wednesday since I didn't get an email confirmation and they had us down to check in on Friday so I'm glad I called. Since they made a mistake with our check in date we weren't next to our friends but I was told we were directly above them on the second floor. When we checked in our room was upstairs but at the opposite end of the building from our friends. Not a big deal but just another disappointment. Be sure you read all the rules you have to initial telling you everything you CAN'T do in the room and the charges that will be incurred if you violate the rules. Not a very warm and friendly greeting. Once in the room there is no information on where to get ice, etc. just another list of everything that is prohibited (no cooking fish in room, no storing of fish or bait in fridge, no smoking, if room is very dirty extra cleaning charge will be incurred). We usually stay at the Coconut Palm Inn a few blocks south but they had a wedding and were booked so they referred us here. They should visit CPI and take notes on how they run the property and customer service.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Granbury, Texas
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We had booked at Atlantic Bay back in September 2013 to hold my wedding which occured this May and I couldn't have asked for a better wedding.

Everything was just perfect. The grounds were superbly clean and all my guests were easily able to check in. Ashley and Kay stayed late or left us with the keys for some of our guests who came in later. The owner Ted checked on us numerous times and even took a group of us out for a sunset cruise on one of his newly purchased boats! Juan, the maintenance man was up and at it every morning tending to the grounds and helping us set up for the big day! He strung all the lights for us and moved all the equipment rental items for me when they arrived.

This was a DIY wedding, since I was limited on my budget so I had all my family help put decorations and tables settings together the day of the wedding while I was getting my hair and make up done. Ashley was there from the early morning and stayed the entire evening. She went above and beyond to make sure everything was perfect for my wedding. She knows what she is doing and knows how to control a crisis (if you want to consider floppy flowers as a crisis!) She even went back to her house and picked a bunch of fresh, beautiful, tropical flowers from her yard to use for my decorations! If it wasn't for Ashley, I don't know if I would have had such a great wedding nor venue! Seriously.

All my guests had a wonderful time and loved being able to use their kayaks, fish, and snorkel off the pier/beach area. My now husband had never seen the resort untli we arrived that week and he just could not believe how gorgeous this resort is and that we had it all to ourselves!

Even the house keeping was wonderful! Since we used the two waterfront suites as a hospitality room and the smaller one as my husbands and my room (which eventually turned into the craft your own wedding room) we had made a mess!!! Flowers, sand, and just stuff everywhere. The cleaning crew went out of there way to accomodate us. They checked in on us at least three times the day of the wedding to see if we needed anything. Great crew.

I could honestly go on and on about how great this place is and how accomodating they are. Again, thank you Ashley, Ted, Kay, Juan, and all the other staff for making my dream wedding come true! By the way, I am now in tears :)

1 Thank TXNukeAg
Palm City, Florida
Reviewed 25 May 2014

WOW...great experience in my wonderful beachfront cottage (#17) at ABR. The rooms were spacious, clean, and comfortable. I loved the large shower too! But the best was the location and the most spectacular sunsets. Enjoyed taking the Kayaks out and so much more about this wonderful place. I'll definitely be back...you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Even though the cost for the 1 bedroom beachfront cottage is about $300/night, it is a great experie...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Altamonte Springs, Florida
Reviewed 21 May 2014

If you love a beautiful sunset and enjoy lounging by the water then you will enjoy this resort.
Our family flew into Florida from Texas for our neices wedding. We spent four days at the resort. We stayed in one of the cottages, they are charming, decorated in sophisticated colors with outside comfortable deck furniture on each raised platform. We had our morning coffee on our deck which was covered by traditional bamboo and thatched roofs. The properties settings was very relaxing-very well manicured and kept clean. A male peacock roamed the property like he owned the place-fun to see such a beautiful bird so very up close and personal. I would like to comment on the staff. They were excellent-honest, polite and very helpful. Juan who is the main property grounds keeper, while cleaning early in the morning he found by the pool a small fabric bag with a very expensive camera in it-with out hesitation he went to our cottage and asked if the camera belonged to anyone in our party. I and my husband travel often and never have we seen a staff as honest as the staff at this resort. We always tip well for great service-hope you do the same. I would like to add that the area has a lot of very fine restaurants-we had the grooms dinner (30 of us) on the deck of the Pilot's House, located on the Atlantic side in a Marina. I had strawberry grouper with macadamian nuts it was fresh and cooked to perfection. Note: remember to always bring bug spray.

Room Tip: We had cottage #5 it had a particle ocean view. If I went back I would like cottage #9 on the corner...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Zurich
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I thought twice before reviewing this place as I want to keep it for myself. Located at the top of the keys this place is a (needed!) quiet and shady resort with a beach and small harbour looking out onto the western Gulf with fantastic sunsets. It is located well for all the Keys attractions and has a real Southern Florida/Caribik feel to it. You can hire clean and reasonably well appointed Suites and Villas at reasonable prices, relax and use the gas barbecues on site during the sunset. The owners are very hospitable, they offer free Kayaks (we used these a lot to paddle around with the occasional wild dolphins in their little bay area). The one pain was the air conditioning unit which was noisy and not easy to control. We were told they were due to be replaced. If these were fixed I would not hesitete to return there. We really felt we were on holiday.

Room Tip: For breakfast go to Chads around the corner. Fantastic experience.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank StephenCZurich
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Atlantic Bay Resort for a long weekend away. We were very impressed with how updated and new the cottages were. The office manager told us everything is currently being renovated. The kitchen had stainless steel appliances. The bathroom was brand new tile throughout and great water pressure. The cottages have nice porches in front with new patio furniture which was great for hanging out and grilling dinner. The unit had all the basics and the resort has kayaks and paddle boards to use as well. If you are looking for a more private area to stay, this is a perfect option. We will definitely be going back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda S
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We really enjoyed our stay over the weekend. This place is clean and quiet. The beach is beautiful and has lots of shade. My daughter loved looking for fish and catching hermit crabs on the beach. The pool is heated. We spent the weekend swimming and relaxing. This is less like a hotel and more like renting an apartment for the weekend. Just know that whatever you want (drinks, snacks, food, etc.) you need to bring/shop for, or you'll have to go out. The efficiency we stayed in had a kitchen, a pull out couch in the living room and a king sized bed in the bedroom (Although the two "rooms" are separated, there is no door in between). We brought food and snacks and saved ourselves a ton by eating breakfast and lunch in the room. There is a Winn Dixie less than a mile from the hotel, so you can stock up. The last night we were there, we ordered pizza from Chad's (less than 1/2 block walk up the street) and ate it on the beach while we watched the sunset.

There are a few things I would recommend to the hotel. First, there should be some way to separate the bedroom from the living room in the efficiencies. there is a wall but there is no door to shut. That would be nice for a little more privacy. Also, there should be a TV in the bedroom as well as the living room. Since there was only one in the living room, husband and I were forced to watch Spongebob all weekend since our daughter was camped out on the pull out couch! :)

Also, I would love it if the hotel had a little store/snack bar. If you decided you want a soda and you didn't bring any, you're out of luck.

We will definitely be returning to this hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavernier
Coconut Palm Inn
Amara Cay Resort
Amara Cay Resort
#6 of 19 in Islamorada
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,294 reviews

Been to Atlantic Bay Resort? Share your experiences!