“Awesome dives!!”

Captain Slate's SCUBA Adventures
Ranked #3 of 25 Tours in Tavernier
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Operating since 1978, CAPTAIN SLATE'S SCUBA ADVENTURES is the premier dive, snorkel, and glass bottom boat operator. Located in Tavernier, we take groups to dive or snorkel at the best sites off of the Florida Keys. With three boats , your voyage experience is kept personable, relaxed, and exclusive. Don't forget - a visit to the Keys is not complete without the world famous Creature Feature! Our highly qualified staff offers PADI, NAUI, SDI, TDI, SEI, IANTD, DAN certifications and more, so start or continue your dive education here! What are you waiting for? Book your diving adventure!
Sebring, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Awesome dives!!”
Reviewed 20 March 2011

The dives were just amazing. The dive crew were really friendly. Had a blast doing the christ of the abyss statue dive and also the creature feature was by far my favorite, it's not everyday you get to pet a few nurse sharks.

prattville
“WOW!!”
Reviewed 19 March 2011

Captin Slate's is the way to go! I got certified on Sunday and we came to Slate's for my first "real diving" experience. WOW is all I have to say. Everyone there was fab'. Jen at the desk, Captin Wes at the helm,Thom providing endless entertainment on the boat!!. We were at a bar discussing the days dives, and low and behold, the bartender Adam, turned out to be the manager at Slate's. Adam is working with me to get my advanced open water when we return in July. He made the whole process fun and easy!
If you are looking for a dive vacation, look no further than Slate's!!

Boynton Beach, Florida
“scub diving”
Reviewed 18 March 2011

the place was very friendly. The activity was great.. The thing that i loved the most was everyone was very nice to every one that walked in the door. There really was nothing that i did not like. You need to bring a underwater cammera, change of clothes, money swimsuits and anything else that you want to bring. I had a great time with the crew wish that it was a little longer and other places to go and see more.

Tallahassee, Florida
“Great people, great experience”
Reviewed 15 March 2011

I am a returning customer to Slate's charters and have always had an amazing time every time. They really know what they are doing--the crew is extremely knowledgeable in regard to diving, gear operation, the best site locations, marine flora and fauna, and customer service. Its a relaxed, layed back atmosphere that is enjoyable for everyone aboard but at the same time, its quite obvious that safety is priority. We actually were scheduled to dive the Spiegel (100+ ft depth) but the crew felt that the number of OW divers was too high and deemed the dive unsafe so we dove another site and the crew arranged A SEPARATE trip just for those people certified to complete the original dive. SO ACCOMMODATING. If you go, ask to dive the City of Washington wreck--I saw more big animals there in one dive than I have seen in all my previous dives combined (tons of nurse sharks, goliath grouper, green moray eels, barracuda, rays, etc)

CREW:
Captain Wes: A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Extremely competent and proficient at what he does; there was no back and forth trying to get moored or confusion about site location. As soon as the boat was hooked, he came down to help getting people in the water and moving tanks. Also, a really nice friendly guy that would help with even the simplest requests and almost seemed to have a paternal vibe with the younger people on board.

Adam: So funny, and so helpful; really made the trip alot of fun while maintaining the highest level of professionalism. I lost one of my fins and he was genuinely concerned about it and stopped what he was doing to help me search the boat; he really jumped at the chance to help someone out and was constantly vigilant about potential safety hazards etc.

Jen: works in the front desk; really sweet, ambitious and helpful--but don't tell the customers youre hung over and it comes off as rather cheap to bribe customers to write good reviews for you by offering them discounts etc.

Tom: would not recommend him as a DM; more concerned about talking about himself and flirting than attending to customers; lacked professionalism on nearly every count.

In response to some of the more negative reviews below about having to wait on the dock for the boat to be loaded or the ride out to dive sites taking too long, I personally can't recall ever being upset about relaxing in the sun on a dock or enjoying the beautiful crystalline blue waters of the Florida Keys on a boat ride. That's all part of the experience. And if you are new to diving or snorkeling and arent sure about the procedures and preparations, ASK SOMEONE! You cannot expect the staff to interpret your silence as confusion or misunderstanding. Everyone there is so willing and so helpful, if you raised any concern to them, I am sure they would take care of you. You people just expect so much from service providers its ridiculous.

Bottom line: Slate's is awesome. They possess the experience and skill to eliminate any work or worry on your part so you can sit back and enjoy the ocean. Its a great time and I'll be back again this summer.

Sheboygan, Wisconsin
“Make no mistake, this is the best place to go for snorkling/diving!”
Reviewed 15 March 2011

My daughter and I went to Key Largo for a vacation. Neither of us have been snorkling before and wanted to give it a try. With sooo many places to choose from, we decided to try Captain Slate's Atlantis Dive Center. That was the best decission we could have made. From the beginning making the appointment via telephone with Jen, who had the patience of a saint and help us to pick which package would suit us the best, gave us the biggest bang for our buck (which btw, I still cannot believe how cheap it was!).

On our trip Wes was our skipper, Adam the diving instructor, and Thom, who does everything (love the sense of humor). I have never snorkled, so I was a bit nervous. But that all changed as we left the Dive Center. The whole crew made us feel so comfortable sharing stories with all of us, attending to each and everyone of us like we were the only person on the boat (there was 13 of us), telling jokes, etc. They made our experience the highlight of our trip! And we did alot of other fun things. We were so impressed that we will be going back and get our diving certification with them!!

If anyone is thinking about going snorkling/diving in Key Largo, please....do yourself a favor, go to Captain Slate's Atlantis Dive Center, I promise you it will be the best experience EVER!!!!!

Thanks again Thom, Wes, Adam, and Jen....you guys ROCK!! And a shout out to Wes and Wes 2! ;)