“Great friendly crew”

Captain Slate's SCUBA Adventures
Ranked #6 of 26 Tours in Tavernier
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Operating since 1978, CAPTAIN SLATE'S SCUBA ADVENTURES is the premier dive, snorkel, and glass bottom boat operator. Located in Tavernier, we take groups to dive or snorkel at the best sites off of the Florida Keys. With three boats , your voyage experience is kept personable, relaxed, and exclusive. Don't forget - a visit to the Keys is not complete without the world famous Creature Feature! Our highly qualified staff offers PADI, NAUI, SDI, TDI, SEI, IANTD, DAN certifications and more, so start or continue your dive education here! What are you waiting for? Book your diving adventure!
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Enjoy diving with Capt Slate's when we are in Key Largo. Boats are a little dated, but hell, so am I. Good crew and staff who truly love the ocean. They take you to some great dive sights. They give good descriptions of the sites, second only to the dive masters in Grand Cayman.
Creature Feature is a good time. Spiegel Grove, City of Washington, Molasses Reef all great!
I earned my Advance Open Water Cert with them about two years ago. The instructors were fantastic and very comforting. Very professional staff with safety in mind, but who also love to have fun! I have been diving with them since I started in 2003 and have only had one issue with them, which was addressed and was a misunderstanding.
I will go back and back and back!

1  Thank KC55MtAiry_MD
"dive group"
"great trip"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 23 October 2013

First off I would like to say that after reading some of the reviews of this place, I can not figure out why this place could have received less then 4 stars. This by far was the Best Diving I have ever done. Cpt Lee, and First Mate was some of the most professional and friendly people I have ever met. Some of the reviews I have seen been complaints about things that HUMANS can not control. 'Im sorry that there are jellyfish in the ocean.... in jellyfish season'. Also the shop has no control over the weather. But guys here is the shocker, its always going to be calm once you are underwater. Other complains range from people that shouldn't have been on a boat anyways. There is a reason why there is boat diving certification, its not an easy task to start off with. With that being said, they helped with everyone getting up and back on the boat. They carefully explained what to do and walked through the process carefully as well.

It is not the staff fault if you are a poor diver or what nature decides to throw at mankind.

Long story short, This was one of the best times I have ever had.

1  Thank Michael T
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I went on diving the Spiegel Grove with Captain Slate's boat crew - Captain Bob and Dive Master Z last Sunday. They were very professional, responsible and dedicated to safely provide us with the best diving experience. Up to that moment it was what we expected.
When we started preparing for the first dive, I discovered that my Nitrox tank was seriously leaking. Dive Master Z helped me to deal with the problem, however ultimately we decided that tank was not going to work. I decided to use my second tank for the first dive. That one was also BROKEN! What an unhappy coincidence! I was very unhappy, but calm, about this situation. I was practically suddenly reduced from a hero vacationer about to be diving on one of the biggest artificial reefs in the world and was suddenly reduced to the role of a bobber.
But then Captain Bob and Z stepped into the plate. They said 'don't worry' we have a spare air tank. SO I DOVE! And it was great and marvelous.
After the first dive I was simply done, as I didn't have another tank. I undressed from my wetsuit and put on my dry clothes. That's when Captain Bob and Z surprised me again, telling me I was going diving again. They had another spare air tank for me. It resulted they talked to the surrounding boats and negotiated borrowing their spare tank for me. I couldn't be happier. They were so kind and resourceful. If you plan to go diving, go with Captain Slate's Atlantis crew. They are pros!

Thank you Z and Captain Bob. You were awesome.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I think whoever writes unfavorable reviews about Capt Slate and his crew are internet trolls.
I dove with them today on their Creature Feature and it was awesome, as usual. I've been diving with Capt Slate for 20 years and it gets better every time. No complaints except to the morons who caught the nurse sharks that used to come to the Creature Feature. Capt. Slate has joice words for them. All you 'professionals' out there who complain about every dive every where you go.....get a life. I'd give Atlantis a 5 if the nurse sharks were there but that's not their fault.

1  Thank ccxx88
See more reviews
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My fiancé and I took a trip down to the Keys about a week or so ago. We were a little bummed about the Keys not having "beaches" so we decided to enjoy the ocean in my favorite way. My fiancé had previously done two DSDs while on other vacations and wanted to get certified for open water diving as I have been for years. We walked into the dive shop one morning asking about how to get him certified in a very short amount of time (as we live in Colorado) and the team at the dive center rearranged schedules and were able to completely accommodate his certification. They were professional, courteous, and genuinely nice people. We had a blast getting to know many of them and highly recommend them to new and seasoned divers alike. This shop hosts a group of great people and we really appreciated everything they did for us.

1  Thank girlolove