“We will be back next year”

Captain Slate's SCUBA Adventures
Ranked #2 of 27 Tours in Tavernier
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Operating since 1978, CAPTAIN SLATE'S SCUBA ADVENTURES is the premier dive, snorkel, and glass bottom boat operator. Located in Tavernier, we take groups to dive or snorkel at the best sites off of the Florida Keys. With three boats , your voyage experience is kept personable, relaxed, and exclusive. Don't forget - a visit to the Keys is not complete without the world famous Creature Feature! Our highly qualified staff offers PADI, NAUI, SDI, TDI, SEI, IANTD, DAN certifications and more, so start or continue your dive education here! What are you waiting for? Book your diving adventure!
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My wife and I did a couple of days of diving with Cap'n Slates crew this fall and will definitely be back, creature feature was a blast.

1  Thank Dave R

Reviewed 9 January 2014

My family of 5 went on a snorkeling excursion with Captain Slate on Saturday, December 28th, 2013. It was a bit windy, but a staff member commented prior to our departure that the waves were only about a foot at the location that we would be snorkeling. After a very choppy 45 minute boat ride to the site, we began our snorkeling experience. Well, the 1 foot waves were closer to 3-4 foot waves and it was very difficult to swim into the current, which is where we needed to go to see the reef. I am an above average swimmer, but after fighting the current for about 30 minutes, and not seeing anything worthwhile, I just gave up and went back to the boat. My two teenage sons were also very frustrated. Over half of the 35 passengers were already back on the boat well before the time we were to depart. In my opinion, we shouldn't have even gone out in these conditions. It was a very frustrating day for my family and a complete waste of $200. When I complained about the conditions after trip, I was told "we did the best with the conditions we had". No the best would have been to not go out in those conditions!

2  Thank TJBoser
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Choose this place because of the reviews and the excellence rating, but the day played a trick on me. The Wind was way too strong and it brought the currents against me when I was snorkeling. Though regardless saw many small fishes, turtles, stingrays, and an OCTOPUS !!! amazing trip friendly crew, supplied with all the equipment necessary. Willing to return.

1  Thank EricP2000
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Did a guided dive , and must say i had heaps of fun!
It was an a lot better intruduction than i had in other places and our guide made sure we where comfortable with the equipment used.
Had 2 nice diving spots , one of ehm a statue of Jesus , with a short history lesson to it on board. The second one was in a nice reef part. We had to cut thisone short due to an aproaching storm. Better save than sorry.
So all in all , i can recomend cpt slates and ill defenetly use ehm again.

1  Thank Nightmare1907
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Enjoy diving with Capt Slate's when we are in Key Largo. Boats are a little dated, but hell, so am I. Good crew and staff who truly love the ocean. They take you to some great dive sights. They give good descriptions of the sites, second only to the dive masters in Grand Cayman.
Creature Feature is a good time. Spiegel Grove, City of Washington, Molasses Reef all great!
I earned my Advance Open Water Cert with them about two years ago. The instructors were fantastic and very comforting. Very professional staff with safety in mind, but who also love to have fun! I have been diving with them since I started in 2003 and have only had one issue with them, which was addressed and was a misunderstanding.
I will go back and back and back!

1  Thank KC55MtAiry_MD