“Had a great time!”

Captain Slate's SCUBA Adventures
Ranked #5 of 26 Tours in Tavernier
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Operating since 1978, CAPTAIN SLATE'S SCUBA ADVENTURES is the premier dive, snorkel, and glass bottom boat operator. Located in Tavernier, we take groups to dive or snorkel at the best sites off of the Florida Keys. With three boats , your voyage experience is kept personable, relaxed, and exclusive. Don't forget - a visit to the Keys is not complete without the world famous Creature Feature! Our highly qualified staff offers PADI, NAUI, SDI, TDI, SEI, IANTD, DAN certifications and more, so start or continue your dive education here! What are you waiting for? Book your diving adventure!
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We had a great time snorkeling. Would definitely do it again! The crew was so cool and down to earth- made me and my family feel very comfortable. Saw lots of cool fish and sting rays and sea turtle! We had to wait a little in the beginning to get started but so worth the wait! Thanks to the whole team for making it a memorable experience!

1  Thank Melimelle
in 13 reviews
"great dive"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 5 May 2014

The staff was very professional and knowledgeable. We had a fantastic day of diving and I couldn't of had a better time! This is now my spot for diving in the Keys!

1  Thank Cathy S
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Captain Slate recently moved his operations 15 miles away to Tavernier. We went two years ago (from his old site in Key Largo) and it was great. He had been feeding sharks and baracudas and an eel there for years and years, so, the fish knew that they should be there on Friday and Sunday morinings. The fish at his new dive site havn't figured this out yet. We went again and took our grandson 5/4/2014. We told him how wonderful this dive would be...... It wasn't..... No sharks, no eel, no baracudas. Also, they have aluminum 72 tanks (not the standard aluminum 80s). That cuts your dive time by at least 10%. Why would anyone go with smaller tanks? Air is very cheap.

4  Thank Bill C
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I hate to give the place I enjoyed so much 10 years ago a bad review, but our trip was not handled professionally. I got my certification through this company so I wanted to share the key largo experience with my husband who was new to diving. When we got on the boat I overheard our guide who's name starts with a Z talk about how he went drinking the night before and got drunk. I also smelled beer on him. When I asked another guide whom I liked a lot if he could be our guide instead because I didn't trust z to take us down he spoke with the captain (we were already out to sea) and came back and said oh he was talking about a friend. Apparently they called him that morning because they didn't have enough guides. The trip itself was okay, but I will never be using this company again because we were stuck with this guy. I know some of the guides are awesome. We just didn't get one.

3  Thank Baylee B
captainslate, General Manager at Captain Slate's SCUBA Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

We are always concerned when our guests do not have the experience they were hoping for. In response to this review, we do not ever let anyone on our boats who has been drinking before the trip, employees or customers. Safety is our number one concern on our boats. We have procedures and testing equipment on hand for situations such as this. We are truly sorry this reviewer felt this way. Since all our boats are Coast Guard inspected marine vessels, we have to adhere to stringent guidelines and policies regarding passengers and crew members. These include intoxicated individuals on our boats. Again, we do not let anyone on our boats who has been drinking beforehand.

See more reviews
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My husband and I went down to the Keys to finish up our diving certification. We started in Indiana and didn't want to wait for the quarry to get warm enough. Found Captain Slates online and set everything up. Wayne was an amazing instructor. Gave us some good tips for when we go out on our own. On the 3rd and 4th dive, there was no one else on the boat. Rather then rescheduling us, they took us out on basically a private charter! Had a chance to get to know several of the crew members on and off the boat. For our very first dive together, we were the only two divers on the boat along with 12 snorkelers. One girl was asking how to use the snorkel gear. They took the time to shower her and her husband and made sure EVERYONE was comfortable before sending anyone off the boat. Great place. Great people. Will definitely be going back! Thanks for the great experiences!!

2  Thank katelynkalus