“I've given up on coffee in the Keys”
Review of Cafe Moka

Cafe Moka
Ranked #2 of 22 Restaurants in Tavernier
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

Maybe it was a off day, but the coffee was abysmal. I couldn't drink it. I was disappointed, needless to say, as I had search up and down the Keys, and this was my hope.

The atmosphere was great and the staff friendly. I have broken down now and bought an espresso maker for our friends place here. No more driving for miles to search or giving in to Starbucks in Key Largo.

I am sure everything else they do is great, given the other reviews.

1  Thank cparker1771

Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

We decided to bypass Starbucks in Key Largo for this establishment just 10 minutes further south - and we were so glad that we did. It is a cute shop on the Northbound side of the highway- parking in back. When I arrived a bit after 9, the croissant case was left with just a few items, so beware!! The Almond and Chocolate were superb- flaky, crispy and very tasty!

Coffee is fine, however I prefer a bolder blend than the house coffee.

Very pleasant staff-- will definitely stop again when back in the Keys !

Reviewed 5 December 2013

They seemed to be working on island time. But the ambiance was very nice. It was clearly a popular place. Our food was pretty good.

Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Incredible croissants almond and chocolate. My friend bought some and I tried them. Definitely stop in its worth it. You might want to stop in on the way back.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Seattle has always been big on coffee, but there were a lot more carts than there were houses the times I was there. I can't speak for the whole nation as to the culture of coffee houses, but there was definitely one on the west coast. San Francisco and San Diego were actually the 2 cities that were big on coffee houses. We had more than 300 in San Diego, and I'm talking pre Starbucks invasion, independent coffee houses.

Great places to hang out, and they meant for you to. Having good to great coffee was required to get the kind of people you would want hanging out, no hobo's or homeless. No fools spending a dollar and trashing the place, or the restrooms. More than a few Starbucks have a problem with this, especially on the west coast. Since the giant chain took over there are far fewer coffee houses than there were 20 years ago.

As someone who's been to coffee houses all over the country (even in Alaska), and has been part of that culture for 25 years now - I can tell you that Cafe Moka is in the same league as the best of them. Free wi-fi, a great place with a good atmosphere to read, write, or do homework. All this as you have a light snack, breakfast or lunch, and a great cup of joe. Which for me is a cappuccino done right, and a place where I would want to spend a couple of hours.